Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 10:48 AM

213 posts, read 865,728 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I, along with a few friends, will be visiting Yosemite from May 24th till May 27th.

We will be arriving at San Jose on May 23rd. The plan is to get some sleep and start early morning on May 24th towards Yosemite Village.

Once we get there, we plan to park our car, hire bicycles and use them to get around all day. At the end of the day, once the crowd has thinned out, we would drive back to Mariposa, where we have booked a cottage.

My questions are:

1. How soon should we be starting from San Jose towards Yosemite village? My plan is to start around 5 AM.
2. Where should I park inside Yosemite Village?
3. Is the plan to cycle around all day feasible?
4. What time should be a good one to get out and head towards Mariposa?
5. For our return, we intend to start for San Jose early morning, around 5 AM. Does it sound feasible?

I would be grateful if you guys can chime in with your recent experiences with Yosemite on Memorial Day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 11:33 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abpat2203 View Post
1. How soon should we be starting from San Jose towards Yosemite village? My plan is to start around 5 AM.
2. Where should I park inside Yosemite Village?
3. Is the plan to cycle around all day feasible?
4. What time should be a good one to get out and head towards Mariposa?
5. For our return, we intend to start for San Jose early morning, around 5 AM. Does it sound feasible?

I would be grateful if you guys can chime in with your recent experiences with Yosemite on Memorial Day.
  1. Start a little earlier if you can. Really its fine, you'll beat most traffic, but you'll still hit some in San Jose. You'll hit NONE once you get to I-5
  2. Theres only one place to park in the Valley for day use. It's right across the street from the general store, at bus stop #1
  3. Maybe if you are a really slow biker. If you are planing on hiking, you'll spend a lot more time hiking than biking, and there isn't much in the way of bike parking. In that case, use the busses.
  4. Doesn't much matter, but I'd try to get out before sunset at least on the first day - 120 heads right into the sunset. The crowds don't thin out till a few hours past sunset. If you really want to avoid traffic, plan on getting to your car about midnight...
  5. You could leave anytime before noon and be perfectly fine. The rush home from the mountains won't start till ~5pm.

The much bigger crowds to worry about are IN the valley, not on the drive. If you want to leave the crowds, you've got to hike at least half an hour into the back country. Even the difference between lower Yosemite falls hike and upper Yosemite falls hike is intense.

Another thing - a couple years ago, I got snowed on in the valley the weekend after memorial day...

Old 05-22-2013, 08:20 AM

213 posts, read 865,728 times
Thank you so much for your comment. This is really helpful.

And you know what? With Dallas temperature hitting 90, I wouldn't mind a little snow myself. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel