Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 08:23 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

Whether within my country (Australia) or overseas, I always feel the need to have a map handy...even when I don't need a map to find myself around, I just like knowing where exactly I am, how much further I've got to go etc...that's what I love about having google maps on my phone, I'll never get lost again! But even before the age of google maps I always liked looking at atlases and street directories and what not and felt quite lost without one.

Then again, I have explored many cities without a map too and that could also be fun, I eventually used landmarks etc to find my way back. I'm surprised at people, especially people who travel a lot, who never seem to look at maps or seem totally uninterested to them. Even as a kid I would be obsessed with maps and used to draw maps a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 12:21 AM

454 posts, read 793,837 times
Yep! I am a "Map Fiend"

When i'm going on vacation i make a list of attractions/sights i want to tour and visit. Before i depart, i get online to MapQuest, and get the directions, starting from my motel to the place(s) i'm going to see. Then i print them out; i usually have quite a stack of pages for all the sight-seeing places i will visit. Having the mileage, route, Highways and everything in detail helps me from getting lost.

Plus i keep a map of the state(s) i'm vacationing in the rental car.... just in case MapQuest got it wrong (yes, it has happened )

Old 08-27-2013, 11:26 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,643 times
I still take my atlas with me on vacation, although I always print various directions ahead of time. I also have a low-end wifi tablet in case I want to find directions to a new place during the trip.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:28 AM

70 posts, read 111,072 times
Yeah it tends to happen whenever I am in the states or definitely overseas as well. It is difficult to get around all around when you don't have a map in general.

For example when I was visiting Bangkok, Thailand, it was a adventure getting around without a map because I would get lost easily and it would take me hours to get back to my hostel.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:10 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
I'm spoiled by my navi.

That said, my planning time is greatly reduced and I look at maps at the beginning of my trip. And of course, when the navi messes up or I want to go off the beaten path.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:44 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I like looking at maps either before or after I have been somewhere to get a larger picture of the area in my head.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:56 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
same here. that's how my mind works. a map give a lay of the land so you can orient your travels.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:01 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Whether within my country (Australia) or overseas, I always feel the need to have a map handy...even when I don't need a map to find myself around, I just like knowing where exactly I am, how much further I've got to go etc...that's what I love about having google maps on my phone, I'll never get lost again! But even before the age of google maps I always liked looking at atlases and street directories and what not and felt quite lost without one.

Then again, I have explored many cities without a map too and that could also be fun, I eventually used landmarks etc to find my way back. I'm surprised at people, especially people who travel a lot, who never seem to look at maps or seem totally uninterested to them. Even as a kid I would be obsessed with maps and used to draw maps a lot.
I'm the same. I think some people are just visual learners. I love maps. If I'm on a plane and the captain says where we are, I'll grab the airline magazine that has a map towards the back and see where we are. I love Atlas books, my family would give them to me as gifts.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:27 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurer2009 View Post
Yeah it tends to happen whenever I am in the states or definitely overseas as well. It is difficult to get around all around when you don't have a map in general.

For example when I was visiting Bangkok, Thailand, it was a adventure getting around without a map because I would get lost easily and it would take me hours to get back to my hostel.
Yeah I got lost in DC, of all places, and was walking around for like an hour. Looking back it was kind of a good thing I got lost because I explored a lot of DC, talked to some of the locals.etc. I didn't have a map and my old phone didn't have google maps. I didn't even know where to get a map, lol.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:11 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Only when you travel? Every family has an old grampa who sits near the TV with a road atlas and looks things up as they are mentioned on the news. I'm old grampa now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel