Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 04:56 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
I would tell them to cop their own room, or leave them home...not even a debate.
^ ^ ^ Agree. I cannot imagine doing this . . . ended up with this situation a few times while in college and swore that if this were to be how I had to travel, I simply wouldn't travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 05:28 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Two younger relatives are planning to travel with my wife and I on a week long vacation. To save money they want to share our motel/hotel room throughout the trip.

Being old and a terrible sleeper I have moved into my own room at home and my wife also tries to sleep in her own room too. We put up with sleeping in the same motel room while traveling to save money but can't picture sharing the hotel room with our relatives.

They think it is strange that we don't want to share the hotel room with them and promise they will be quiet. They tell me that when they travel with their immediate family they would cram six of them in a hotel room, two per double bed and two on the floor.

How about you, can you sleep with many people packed into a standard sized hotel room? Can you sleep with two people to a double bed or on the floor of a motel room?

Actually yes. I do. I will splurge if it's just my wife and myself, but if the kids (in their teens) are with us no way would I get two hotel rooms. If the room sleeps 4 and 5 with a roll away, than that's what the room gets. As a family we never spend that much time in the room. Since we don't go to bargain basement places, there are things to do. And the rooms are not depressing. It's a place to sleep. change and shower.

I don't thing you are foolish or wrong, I just wouldn't do that. But I get it.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:31 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
Umm, no. I travel with my husband and 3yo - and it often feels crowded with just the three of us...

And sleeping on the floor of a hotel room. Yuck. Seriously, I don't even like to go barefoot in hotel rooms, I make sure my 3yo is wearing footed pjs after her shower for that reason.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:38 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,425,378 times
No way. Not unless there's no other way and it's an utter emergency. I didn't even enjoy that in my 20s.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:40 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
We haven't shared hotel rooms with our kids since the oldest was 10. We either got a suite, or connecting rooms. I also have difficulty sleeping, and losing sleep on a vacation can ruin the entire trip.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:09 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
We always did with our kids -- son and daughter. One would sleep on the floor, iirc, and the other got the second bed in the room. I didn't mind. Since my wife didn't like me anyway, I knew I wasn't going to get lucky no matter what we did.

But one year I had arranged our family winter vacation and got a standard room at the Fontainebleau on Miami Beach for a few days. I think standard rooms were $200 (1980). Then my wife's mother invited herself and hubby along, but they didn't want to pay the price for the room and doubled up with us. I DID NOT APPRECIATE THAT AT ALL! (Yes, I realize that's shouting.)

Old 11-04-2013, 09:22 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
When we had only 1 kid we would only get one room, but after the 2nd kid came along, 2 rooms. My husband spends a lot of time in the bathroom due to his medical condition, so 2 rooms became more important. Of course, at $200/room, a 2nd room would be unreachable.

Stand your ground OP. Claim to be a light sleeper who also snores nonstop. That should put a stop to the request.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:43 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
OP-

Don't do it. You will NOT enjoy the vacation at all.

On average, I sleep 4-5 hours a night. When friends and younger relatives want to share a room, they want to hit the hay at 10 pm. I can either head down to the lobby or lounge or roll around trying to sleep for a few hours.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:03 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
Working in a hotel whose posted price is for 2 people with additional charge for more I can tell you it's amazing the number of people who will say"Oh it's only the 2 of us'. They think you don't see the others coming in when they get their luggage??

Old 11-05-2013, 05:26 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Recently I shared a hotel room with 2 of my nieces aged 10 and 12 (who shared a double bed in the room) while their parents and younger brother (aged 5) and my brother's mother-in-law shared a second room. I didn't see any problem with this arrangement at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel