Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 11:00 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Though there are a handful of times where there are mistake fares get out in the travel agency realm in a very useful way. I keep an eye on Flyer Talk because they're a good source for mistake fares, and they've had info lately on a semi-obscure Norwegian travel agency that's had access to a few mistake fares to Europe and Asia where the fuel surcharges were left off the ticket prices, effectively cutting ticket prices in half or more, and United and alliance partners have been honoring those tickets. (Alas, that hole in the system has been plugged, but it could happen again.)
Yup, FlyerTalk is one of those "certain forum sites" I was talking about that I consult for obscure deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 08:47 PM

50 posts, read 100,913 times
I booked my recent trip through cheaptickets.com and they were pretty good with pricing. I got a round trip ticket for $1,048 for Kansas City- Bangkok and back. I looked at united and delta and their prices were between 1300-1600.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Depending what we are doing: if taking a road trip or just spending a few in Vegas we do it directly through the hotel. We have a favorite chain. Normally, we check Travelocity, and other travel sights, never really find much difference in the pricing. When we are taking an extended vacation, cruise or going from place to place we always use a travel agent. They normally have saved up money and know how to find all the little ins and outs. I love to do research, but still like to know a professional has helped us. Not all agents are top of the line, but the ones that are, are worth their weight in gold.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:08 AM

14 posts, read 13,756 times
A little while ago I mentioned in another thread that I was looking through websites to book my travels and eventually I booked through http://las-vegas.hotelscheap.org/. It went really well and the service was pretty fast, so I guess I could recommend it.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:09 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
I think it's really hard to just choose any site or discredit any site. If you're looking for a deal and not faithful to any specific airline or hotel then ANY of the sites could have the best deal at any time. My most recent flight was booked through Statravel, however I see good flights on orbitz. Kayak and cheapflights are nice because you can compare a lot of sites. Not to mention a lot of times the airlines have the cheapest fares directly. That's always the best way to go.

Hotels are almost never booked directly through the company. I like using hotwire because I don't worry about elite status anywhere. I have always had great luck with the priceline negotiator and hotwire.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:34 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,531 times
I couldn't list them all even if I tried...

I've booked direct via airline/hotel websites, brick and mortar travel agents (rare), and all manner of online travel sites.

My personal favourite for hotels is agoda.com. They have some great rates for properties in the Asia-Pacific.

Different vendors will be best suited to different markets. I wouldn't book a flight Beijing-Shanghai on expedia, as ctrip has better prices, for example.

My favourite aggregating sites (ie compare multiple vendors) are skyscanner and fly.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel