Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 05:19 AM

618 posts, read 939,486 times

Advertisements

I like his narration with historical insights. He splurges a bit in my opinion on hotels but he does budget travel for the most part-no tour, using public transportation or taxis, and seeing all relevant spots in a destination without rushing through. I also find his books very informative and practical. His itineraries are things anyone can do without going broke. More importantly, I think his tv show and writings make you less afraid to go and see the area without a group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 06:48 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,318,816 times
I like Rick Steves and his show. Although, he has some mannerisms that I have to ignore to get through his shows. I think you've summed him up pretty well.

Rick is basically there to tell you that you can see Europe on your own and you don't need a guided tour to do it. It coincides, pretty much, with what I have learned on my own. Most European countries embrace tourists, because tourism is an important part of their economy. Most businesses and landmarks you patronize will have someone there who speaks English. Fortunately, for Americans English has become the "world language" or the language of commerce. Its a huge advantage to us that rivals having the world use the dollar as its "reserve currency".

I've seen Europe two ways:

1. I planned an entire trip from airfare to train trips to reserving my own lodging.

2. I've used "bare bones" tours that only include airfare and hotels. I had to fill in all the day trips myself.

If you are adventuresome, you can do Europe entirely on your own. The Rick Steves guidebooks and t.v. series is an enormous help.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:27 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,005,094 times
Sometimes Rick himself can be annoying, but I've found his tv series, books, and web site to be very helpful and informative. I've also bought a few items from his online store, and they were useful as well.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:57 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
He's dorky but great. "Europe Through the Back Door" was the guide to my first trip to Europe. He's also a marijuana activist and was a prime mover in Washington State's recent legalization of marijuana. His book "Travel as a Political Act" and an accompanying video are available from his website.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:31 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,152,339 times
I love Rick Steves. Can you imagine getting paid to travel? And he's powerful!

I forgot he was on 60 Minutes a few years ago:

He has many videos on his YouTube channel:

Rick Steves - YouTube

also a New York Times article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/04/ma...ted=all&src=pm

Old 01-26-2014, 05:01 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,619,045 times
I have watched just about all of his shows, as well as all the Globe Trekker, Rudi Maxa and Burt Wolf shows. His shows are easy to watch and he projects a very positive outlook about travel. I loved his recommendation on Burg Eltz being one of his favorite castles in Europe and made a special point to include in on a trip to Germany. It was very cool. His shows are generally nicely balanced with tourist info and travel suggestions.

In the end, I like his books a little better than his show. I do think it would be a lot of fun to travel with him.

I think my favorite travel shows were some of the early Globe Trekkers episodes. The one with Lynn Shapiro sitting on a train bench with her feet pulled up on the seat because there were rats running around on the floor was great.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:27 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,538,736 times
He's a good guy. I like watching his shows, if mainly just to see some points of interest and pass the time. There is something about the way he speaks and presents things that is really weird and fascinating at the same time. I like that he's been pushing in to the Balkans and some other less conventional tourist areas of Europe.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:55 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
Rick Steve's book are equivalent to the "...for Dummies" book series of instructional/reference books. Not that it's a bad thing, I enjoy some of his shows and have used his books in the past. He promotes independent travel and that's always a good thing. But you grow out of it as your travel experience increases. Getting around Europe for me at this point is as easy as getting around down the block. Some parts of Asia on the other hand....maybe he should start a series for that.

Perhaps the worst part of it is that it's almost too formula - got to spot A and talk to person B and order this particular meal, then take bus at this time to go to destination D and stay here. So in essence you have some people following his book to the letter like sheep instead of a tour guide. The best process of course is to use elements of his book to get some ideas of ideal spots, and some logistics information, instead as a paint by numbers guide to travel.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:18 PM

618 posts, read 939,486 times
I have found it interesting he has not visited Russia or any of the former Soviet republics except for Estonia. I think he had a book on Russia in the mid 1990s but not since. That is too bad.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:31 PM

678 posts, read 1,065,509 times
I like his show his voice matches the tone of the show and he's very inquisitive but respectful of the local culture. He's informative but not a show off. I enjoy his show much more than the one Samantha Brown had, sometimes she was just really culturally insensitive or clueless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel