Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 10:51 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,347 times

Advertisements

I know this is me just being crazy, but why am I terrified to fly? I haven't always been, but recently I have been. So here is the back story. I was never scared to fly but as I have gotten older I get more and more scared to.

I went to Jamaica in January and before the we flew, I kept thinking to myself what if the plane crashes? What if we die? Same way upon our return. Safe and sound and at home. One week after getting back from Jamaica, found out that there is a family emergency in South America I have to go to, I leave on Wednesday. It's for a relative that has less than a few months to live most likely. For the past two weeks I have convinced myself that I will die on this plane crash. My anxiety about the trip on Wednesday is driving me nuts. I don't want to go on the flight at all.

However I am thinking my anxiety is just based on a few facts. I am just going through a lot of anxiety lately:

1. My relative this is the last time I will see him and this will be my goodbye to him, which makes me dread the trip and dread seeing him in the condition he will be in
2. The day after I return from this trip I am putting in my resignation in at work which really worries me how the reception will be.
3. I am joining a startup company and it is a BIG risk and has me nervous, I am even moving in with my dad just to make sure I am financially comfortable.
4. Ever since Jamaica I have been making strides to be positive and outgoing. EVERYTHING in my life right now is going so well. Dating this great girl, I will start a new job that I am THRILLED about and it is a life passion and my social life has gone back to normal. My life is going so great right now, I just am fearful and don't want to risk anything to ruin it.
5. I am just a nervous flyer. 5-10 years ago I loved flying. Nowadays? Every little jerk or turbulence gives me crazy anxiety. I used to love turbulence back in the day!

So why do I keep telling myself I am going to die on this flight? Has anyone else had this feeling? Everyday I look at stats of plane crashes to help convince me that is is super safe.

I just want to get this all over with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 11:03 AM

986 posts, read 1,864,448 times
Easier said than done, but try not to think about it. Distract yourself when you start to think about the flight. It is very normal to have a fear of flying. It's one of the most common fears. I have a friend who deals with their fear of flying by having a few shots of whiskey in the airport before boarding the plane. Probably not the most healthy idea, but it helps him calm down.

Sometimes I convince myself that something is going to happen, but never happens that way. So try to ignore this feeling.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
Easier said than done, but try not to think about it. Distract yourself when you start to think about the flight. It is very normal to have a fear of flying. It's one of the most common fears. I have a friend who deals with their fear of flying by having a few shots of whiskey in the airport before boarding the plane. Probably not the most healthy idea, but it helps him calm down.

Sometimes I convince myself that something is going to happen, but never happens that way. So try to ignore this feeling.
Yeah im considering hitting up the bar before I fly out. Thanks for the advice it help

Old 02-23-2014, 01:16 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Yeah im considering hitting up the bar before I fly out. Thanks for the advice it help
I used to be a very calm flyer, and very little would bother me. I won't detail the flight that changed that for me, but after that experience, I've had to deal with a great deal of anxiety when flying. Not ideal, since I travel sometimes 2 or 3 times a month for work.

I wouldn't hit the bar (if you accidentally over indulge, you can be prevented from boarding), but I would suggest calling your doctor and asking for a prescription for xanax. It's what I use when I fly. It doesn't necessarily stop the thoughts from happening, but it does lessen the physical response to stress (pounding heart, tense muscles, feeling sick to your stomach, etc). Take it about 20 minutes before boarding, and it should help to keep anxiety at bay.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:44 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
the heart attack from worrying is more likely to kill you than your flight

Old 02-24-2014, 02:53 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
You have to look at the small odds of it actually happening; I look at the positives of my demise as crazy as it seems. I max out my SGLI so someone is going to get $400k. Nothing I can do about it in the air so why worry?

I've even flown in helicopters in combat, now that would be nerve wrecking if you constantly worry about being shot down. I was in Afghanistan after the Chinook of Navy SEALS was shot down, everyone was worried about flying after that incident.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
You have to look at the small odds of it actually happening; I look at the positives of my demise as crazy as it seems. I max out my SGLI so someone is going to get $400k. Nothing I can do about it in the air so why worry?

I've even flown in helicopters in combat, now that would be nerve wrecking if you constantly worry about being shot down. I was in Afghanistan after the Chinook of Navy SEALS was shot down, everyone was worried about flying after that incident.
Thanks for this! Thank you for your service as well!

I am starting to feel better about flying now. Due to some of the posts here and what I have read from other people as well, I am feeling much better about it.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:10 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Not to switch one phobia for another, but you are statistically far more likely to die in a car crash on the way to the airport than you are losing your life in a plane crash. I read a newspaper story a number of years back that stated you'd have to take something like 32,000 flights in your life to put yourself at significant risk.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:27 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,781,352 times
I used to fly more often, now not as much. And I find myself every now and then thinking about the improbability that a multi-ton tube of steel should be able to be 30,000 feet in the air. Especially looking out and seeing the wings moving, feeling the turbulence, etc. Then I shake myself out of it and realize the pilot wants to get home as much as I do, and for some reason that calms my nerves.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:33 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
As indicated by your post, your anxiety issues go beyond the scope of fear of flying...and beyond the scope of this forum. Fear of flying is just a symptom, not the cause. We aren't even talking fear of flying here in reality, but something else - fear of death, fear of change.
Take up yoga? Smoke Ganja? Not sure...but you need to address your anxiety first and foremost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel