Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 12:45 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Studies show that flying reduces our ability to detect certain flavors. However, some in-flight foods — such as curry and bloody Marys — do taste the same. Here's why.

The bland taste of airline food is a running joke among travelers. The lack of favor is often blamed on airlines cutting corners to save money, but there may be other factors at play.

It turns out there's science behind the bad taste of food at 30,000 feet.

Read more: Why does airplane food taste so bad? | MNN - Mother Nature Network
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 04:21 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,535 times
I have had some meals on airplanes that were at least tolerable, but agree that almost everything they serve is very bland.

I have blamed the lack of real flavor on the airlines having to please the general masses. Keeping salt contents reasonable and avoiding angering passengers with "spicy" food is probably their main goal. I am completely in favor of lower salt contents, from a health perspective. However, I would like a little more spice in some of the food.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:46 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
People blow this way out of proportion. I fly all the time and the food is never so bad that I would make a point of telling people about it. In fact, most of the time it's just average tasting food and not unsimilar to a typical frozen meal. I think people are just repeating the 'airline food is terrible' mantra because that's what everyone else does.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:45 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
They serve food on airplanes?

Actually I must admit that 3 dollar can of Pringles tastes just as good as the 1 dollar can of Pringles you get from the store.

Ok. The 10 dollar stale sandwich is no worse than the 10 dollar stale sandwich they sell at the airport.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:51 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
People blow this way out of proportion. I fly all the time and the food is never so bad that I would make a point of telling people about it. In fact, most of the time it's just average tasting food and not unsimilar to a typical frozen meal. I think people are just repeating the 'airline food is terrible' mantra because that's what everyone else does.
LOL! And I'm in agreement with you.

I'd also add that the best flight AND food we ever had (we fly coach) was on Korean Air. Marvelous. Choice of Korean entree or American entree. The Korean Bulgogi was terrific, and included a tube of hot pepper paste that was so good that I wrote down the brand so I could buy some at home.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:12 PM

169 posts, read 281,415 times
For some bizarre reason, people's expectations go way up when they board a plane. They expect a luxurious 5-star dining experience. Newsflash: a plane is nothing more than a flying bus. I'd rather airlines didn't serve meals by default so the price of my airfare could be reduced. For those who can't sit still without eating for a few hours hours, they could purchase their microwaved frozen meal on board.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:33 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
LOL! And I'm in agreement with you.

I'd also add that the best flight AND food we ever had (we fly coach) was on Korean Air. Marvelous. Choice of Korean entree or American entree. The Korean Bulgogi was terrific, and included a tube of hot pepper paste that was so good that I wrote down the brand so I could buy some at home.

Cosigned. They almost fed me too much!

Old 06-02-2014, 06:09 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Having worked a little while in an in-flight kitchen, I think that part of the problem is that MOST food served on a plane is rethermalized. Different foods react to that differently. Slight variations in reheating can cause the food to dry out.

I honestly have to admit that I do not miss plane food.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:38 AM

324 posts, read 407,662 times
I think I'm the only person who enjoys airplane food...

Old 06-03-2014, 01:03 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
Emirates has decent-good food in cattle class. In business class it's as good as any restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel