Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 07:58 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,382,942 times

Advertisements

Oh help me! I cannot decide. I have a trip planned to Prague in a few weeks. We cannot decide whether we should do a side trip to Vienna or Budapest. It is not possible to do both.

Please give me your opinions and suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 08:03 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
Vienna is a lot more beautiful and sophisticated than Budapest, which looks poorer than run-down.
I recommend Vienna. It is exquisite.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:42 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,696,046 times
Budapest is much more fun and friendly than Vienna. People in Vienna can be tools. The best thing about that city is Kasekrainer.

Budapest has fun markets, public baths, and a wacky grotto (visit at night). Vienna is more physically beautiful and is a more elevated cultural experience. Budapest is much cheaper than Vienna.

I recommend Budapest.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:07 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
I recommend you lengthen your trip so you can see both.

Both cities are gorgeous, but in different ways. To me, Vienna feels more sophisticated and cultured but also somehow colder, while Budapest feels both more lively and more gritty. Both have enough sights to offer to keep you busy for several days. Vienna has the Spanish Riding School and more memorable museums, but Budapest has the thermal baths (tons of fun!) and scenic Danube cruises, as well as what may be the most beautiful opera house anywhere in Europe.

So what are you in the mood for? You can't really go wrong with either pick.

Last edited by Aredhel; 01-17-2015 at 01:27 PM..

Old 01-17-2015, 01:10 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,578,205 times
I'm a huge fan of Vienna, and the first time I was there, I did pair it with a trip to Prague. In Vienna, I love the culture there, and since we are a huge fan of museums, we spend a lot of time seeing different exhibits. We happen to have an uncle that lives in Vienna, so he has always helped make it a nice trip. Budapest certainly has a different feel so if you could make it to both, you should try!

Old 01-17-2015, 01:47 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZdiXvDU4P0

Old 01-17-2015, 02:26 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,618 times
I was just in Budapest for several hours. It was a lot more grandiose and populous than I expected, actually. Along the Danube is a lot more striking than it looks in photos. Very vast and pretty, with the hills in Buda offering a great vantage point of it all. I've never been to Wien, but as I normally go for the grittier and cheaper, I would've chosen Budapest.

How much time do you have? There's an overnight train to Belgrade for 15€ from Budapest, and Belgrade is one of my very favourite cities.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:41 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,382,942 times
I may have to try to fit in both!
Thanks so much for your opinions and suggestions!

Old 01-17-2015, 11:53 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,442,533 times
I really like both of these, but I think there are more things to see in Vienna, so that would be my recommendation.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:39 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,446,995 times
Vienna was an imperial city, the capital of the Austro-Hungarian empire for centuries. It still retains that imperial flavor with palaces just about everywhere you look. The art museums are stellar. The food is wonderful and the wines excellent. The coffee houses are superb. Pastries are fabulous. Much of it has to do with that Austria never became Communist and the Soviets retreated after WWII, so Vienna was able to retain large elements of its pre-war grandeur and lifestyle. Vienna has a smug, self-satisfied and affluent bourgeoisie atmosphere, and I say this as someone who loves Vienna. The physical layout of Vienna is also much tighter than Budapest, with a small inner-stadt that is very walkable and the Danube is not a focal point for the city. I've been to Vienna perhaps half a dozen times and I don't think I've ever bothered to see the Danube.

Budapest was a secondary city to Vienna. Although it has its own long history, Budapest really came into its own in the 19th century and is one of the great 19th century cities of Europe. It has marvelous Victorian, Beaux Arts, Secessionist and Art Deco architecture, which is different from the baroque flavor of Vienna. The museums are not as interesting. The food is not as good, thanks to 50 years of communist rule (although it is getting better). Budapest is decidedly cheaper and despite much restoration the city still retains a slight nitty gritty environment that is part of its charm. Despite having the same population size, Budapest also feels much bigger than Vienna because it's more spread out and the Danube and Castle Hill exaggerates the city's sense of size.

They are quite different cities and I enjoy both equally but for different reasons. A first time visitor may prefer Vienna because it's initially more navigable and the palaces and art museums offer more of interest to tourist and the food and pastries are excellent. Budapest will require a little more compromise but at a much lower price. For people less interested in gilded palaces and art, Budapest does have the baths and grottos and what seems like a much larger drinking scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel