Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 07:58 PM

28 posts, read 32,862 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I would like to move to Europe. I have pretty much lived in California my whole life. I have a BS in biology and have been working as a biologist for the State of CA since I graduated college in 2011. I am 25 years old. I studied abroad in Spain and Ireland and would love to go back. I am tired of going to my cubicle everyday and listening to all my middle aged coworkers talk about retirement. I own a VW Westfalia also. If my plan to move to Europe doesn't work I plan on traveling across country in it.

Has anyone else successfully made a life in Europe? Ideally I would like to start so,e type of business that allows me to travel back and forth between California and Ireland/Spain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 07:51 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
You might want to post this on the immigration forum. Have you done the legwork to check on immigration requirements of the various countries that interest you? Quite honestly, unless you bring a special skill, most countries don't want you -- they have enough of their own people (and people who are free to move about the EU). Do you have the money to start a meaningful business? I imagine middle aged people in Spain and Ireland sit in their cubicles and talk about retirement as well.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:18 AM

I forgot to mention that I'm an Irish citizen because my mom is an immigrant to CA.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:33 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
To be honest, going to Europe "to start some sort of business" doesn't sound like a solid plan. You might score a job with your biology degree, though.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:34 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Quality of life is going to be much lower. Europe is the worst place to get rich, but the best place to be be rich.

Quality of life in the US is better. Cheaper food, housing, bigger cars, etc.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:37 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Quality of life is going to be much lower. Europe is the worst place to get rich, but the best place to be be rich.

Quality of life in the US is better. Cheaper food, housing, bigger cars, etc.
Disagree. I have a better quality of life in Scotland than I did in the US.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:24 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Europe is the worst place to get rich, but the best place to be be rich.
What are the chances of getting filthy rich on any of those two continents with a well... subpar business plan and a BA in biology?

Old 06-26-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
What are the chances of getting filthy rich on any of those two continents with a well... subpar business plan and a BA in biology?
It's a BS degree..

I'm going to need to think long and hard. Maybe it's time to find another sector of work. Biology is solidly middle class which is awesome but not if I want to spend more time traveling between here and Ireland/Europe to see family.

I'm about half way done refurbishing my 1984 VW Westfalia, they command a high price when in good shape.. Perhaps I can do that on the side and make a business out of it..

Old 06-26-2014, 09:47 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanayah View Post
It's a BS degree..

I'm going to need to think long and hard. Maybe it's time to find another sector of work. Biology is solidly middle class which is awesome but not if I want to spend more time traveling between here and Ireland/Europe to see family.

I'm about half way done refurbishing my 1984 VW Westfalia, they command a high price when in good shape.. Perhaps I can do that on the side and make a business out of it..
A BS in biology will get you a job doing what? Not a whole lot that will pay the bills these days.

Stay in CA, get your masters, figure out what you want to be when you grow up, make a five year plan, and if moving to Europe can fit into it--allowing you the income to live a comfortable lifestyle, go for it.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
A BS in biology will get you a job doing what? Not a whole lot that will pay the bills these days.

Stay in CA, get your masters, figure out what you want to be when you grow up, make a five year plan, and if moving to Europe can fit into it--allowing you the income to live a comfortable lifestyle, go for it.
That's a good idea. My mom is a community college professor who loves her work and gets summers off with pay. While my dad owns a small business; he works 6-7 days a week while barely making ends meet.

I have always wanted to live in San Francisco, getting my Masters in Biology at San Francisco State could be in the cards for me.

I know biology isn't the most lucrative field of study, but it's always been where my interests lie. Many of my friends went into high tech down in the Silicon Valley but I'd feel like a sell out if I took that route too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel