Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 11:40 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times

Advertisements

I just used this service for the first time. To me, it was a leap of faith since I didn't know the hosts. For all I know, they could have been the Manson family reincarnated. Then, I noticed that the host had her products (she makes costumes and masks for a livelihood) on display. If I was a dishonest person (i'm not), I could have walked off with some of her stuff, anything in her house. Is there a risk in using the service for the hosts or guests. If the hosts accused the guests of taking something from the house, would they have recourse to charge your credit card?

Old 02-20-2015, 12:16 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
While I would take care to put my things away, I think hosts are more trusting of their guests due to the fact that guests having to use a credit/debit card and provide other identifiable information (could be wrong there) helps to weed out thieves and other troublemakers and serves as a deterrent against bad behavior (why steal when your host will ultimately have access to your personal information to assist in a police investigation?).

Old 02-20-2015, 09:12 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,301,514 times
Wasn't there a case in NYC recently where a guy was renting places from AirBnB and using the homes for massive orgies? I think I read about it a while back on the NYC forum here at CD.

Yep - here's the thread.

This is why you don't use Airbnb...

Old 02-20-2015, 09:23 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
It takes a certain type of person to open up their home to strangers. I know of people who clear out of their homes in the Summer to rent them to make money. I couldn't do that. I wouldn't want someone else messing around in my bed...
My sister in law is of a certain type and she has opened her house to many and when she travels she often stays in a airBnB. She used to live in a seaside town and once when we were visiting her for a few days we came back to the house and she told us that a group of 8 sailors who had just arrived from Latvia, I think it was, after sailing across the Atlantic were coming to stay for several days. WHAT? We asked.. Do you know any of them? Do any of them speak English??
We thought it rather odd but that is how she is. They all had a good time.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:13 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
I've met so many cool people doing AirBNB. Lots of people out there are open, welcoming, and don't come from a position of mistrust as the default. It's great.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:20 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Of course there is the possibility that guests could steal. Hotel guests are well know for stealing towels and robes, so vacationers might steal.

Thieves, though, tend to steal where they are not known and not where they have left their credit card and identification and are the only one who has access.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
I have been using Hospitality Guest homes (and hosting ) for over 25 yrs.

Never a problem, Amazingly I have stayed in many homes for the first time without even meeting the hosts. They leave the key hidden for me or at neighbors, and ask me to feed the animals and plants. I always leave the place nicer than I found it. Often there is $100k of cars / tools in the garage (should I be so inclined to head to the pawn shop). Fridge is 'open' too, as are the cupboards. We have stayed several weeks taking care of homes for absentee owners. Again, I stock the fridge and cupboards with excess before I leave.

Didn't realize how nice it could be, until one cold and snowy night we arrived home, and the hosts had the fireplace going and hot cocoa and soup brewing. (they had stayed several yrs earlier, and knew how to get in!) That was GREAT.

I do realize that "this home is not my own, I'm just 'a passing through.." (this includes my personal home and stuff). Poof it is all gone... Relationships last, stuff is not important.

Air B&B is quite a step up (price wise). None of my 1,000's of guest stays have ever asked for ID or Credit Card.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:24 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,795,860 times
You just have to learn to open up and trust people.

It brings great things to your life.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:49 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It takes a certain type of person to open up their home to strangers. I know of people who clear out of their homes in the Summer to rent them to make money. I couldn't do that. I wouldn't want someone else messing around in my bed...
I assume you never stay in a hotel where hundreds have been messing around in your bed before you arrived?

We've done half a dozen home exchanges, domestic and international, ranging from a long weekend to 3 months. We've included cars and twice, the dog stayed with the residence and pet care was included. All were great experiences and we've stayed in contact with everyone we exchanged with. One couple became lifelong friends.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:42 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,391,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
You just have to learn to open up and trust people.

It brings great things to your life.
I admire your openness.

I use airbnb. Just last week they started a new verification process when you want to use a place.
I find it pretty amazing one can trust strangers so easily.

Kudos to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel