Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 10:00 AM

212 posts, read 156,493 times

Advertisements

My next 2 trips that I would like to do would be my snorkeling trip to Maui with my father (I usually go on a snorkeling trip to Hawaii every 1-2 years for 5 nights) and a return trip to somewhere in Europe (I say somewhere because it depends on the time of year and my length of time).

What mountain town in the Alps or a town with great mountain views would you say is beautiful, is not super touristy, and is reasonable in terms of price?

To me it seems like any of the Swiss or French Alps are expensive and overran with tourists. I would guess that the Bosnian Alps, Austrian Alps,and Slovenian Alps would give you the best experience and more bang for your $? Maybe Berchtesgaden in Germany?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 10:29 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
Depends enormously on how you plan to tour. If you are going for walking/ hiking the people thin out a few hundred yards down the trail so the only question is whether you can get lodging at a reasonable price. There are numerous smaller towns way up in the mountains consisting of only a few hotels. There are also the larger car-free resorts like Zermatt and Saas Fee in Switzerland and many places in between. The experience is entirely different from US national parks.

I have found the best balance between price, mountain experience, and facilities in Austria. Switzerland costs the most but in some ways is worth it. You haven't mentioned Italy, another option.

Early summer, although not off-season, is significantly cheaper. But there will be more snow on the higher trails.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Depends enormously on how you plan to tour. If you are going for walking/ hiking the people thin out a few hundred yards down the trail so the only question is whether you can get lodging at a reasonable price. There are numerous smaller towns way up in the mountains consisting of only a few hotels. There are also the larger car-free resorts like Zermatt and Saas Fee in Switzerland and many places in between. The experience is entirely different from US national parks.

I have found the best balance between price, mountain experience, and facilities in Austria. Switzerland costs the most but in some ways is worth it. You haven't mentioned Italy, another option.

Early summer, although not off-season, is significantly cheaper. But there will be more snow on the higher trails.
Yeah my grandmother who is Austrian said the Austrian Alps are the nicest (but she's biased).

I guess what sounds nice to me is a place that you can walk everywhere or just take a city bus to get you to all the sites and everything, plenty of restaurants, nice walks, relaxing. Would only do this probably in the early summer.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:24 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,435,057 times
But have your ever been to Chamonix?
Yes, it's a touristic area, But the place in really magnificent!!

Old 05-28-2017, 03:37 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
But have your ever been to Chamonix?
Yes, it's a touristic area, But the place in really magnificent!!
Chamonix is not a favorite of mine. It is not car-free and it has a relatively low elevation. On the other hand, it is a good place to base if you plan to climb Mont Blanc.

> I guess what sounds nice to me is a place that you can walk everywhere or just take a city bus to get you to all the sites and everything, plenty of restaurants, nice walks, relaxing. Would only do this probably in the early summer.

I'm not sure what you are expecting. There are not cities as such, there are mountain towns, connected by postbus or train. For me the only "sites" are trailheads and mountain lifts.

By the way, last time I was in Saas Fee hotels included a pass for the postbus in the entire valley and all the cable railways. As these tend to be pricey that was quite an advantage.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:22 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Garmisch-P is walkable (though cars are allowed), has a local bus system, and isn't hard to reach by mass transit from Munich.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:15 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,618,535 times
Lake Bled in Slovenia and Salzburg in Austria are both very interesting areas that I have visited. However, I am not sure how these areas are for real mountain related activities.

Innsbruck might be a bit more mountain oriented, but seemed pricey and touristy.

That is it from my personal experience. However, I think my personal choice might be Andorra in the Pyrenees! It is off the tourist trail, high up in the mountains and just seems very, very cool!

Old 05-29-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
Lake Bled in Slovenia and Salzburg in Austria are both very interesting areas that I have visited. However, I am not sure how these areas are for real mountain related activities.

Innsbruck might be a bit more mountain oriented, but seemed pricey and touristy.

That is it from my personal experience. However, I think my personal choice might be Andorra in the Pyrenees! It is off the tourist trail, high up in the mountains and just seems very, very cool!
Good call. They also have nice dogs!

Old 05-30-2017, 08:11 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Ironically you mention that the Swiss and French alps are too expensive and all that anyone is giving you is suggestions for expensive Swiss and French locations. Yes they are very expensive.

Head to Eastern Europe for good mountain bargains although not technically the alps - Bosnia and Macedonia are your best bets. These are ski resorts during the winter but I am sure it has scenic and hiking oppurtunities in the summer - Popova Sapka. Romania maybe - Retezat Mountains or Bucegi Mountains. Slovakia has the Lower Tatras mountains. Good hiking and probably resorts around the area.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Ironically you mention that the Swiss and French alps are too expensive and all that anyone is giving you is suggestions for expensive Swiss and French locations. Yes they are very expensive.

Head to Eastern Europe for good mountain bargains although not technically the alps - Bosnia and Macedonia are your best bets. These are ski resorts during the winter but I am sure it has scenic and hiking oppurtunities in the summer - Popova Sapka. Romania maybe - Retezat Mountains or Bucegi Mountains. Slovakia has the Lower Tatras mountains. Good hiking and probably resorts around the area.
I looked into the Julien Mountains in Slovenia. I thought it would have been cheaper than what it was when looking at hotels online. I just want a centrally located hotel with a private bathroom. I'm not into bed and breakfasts.

When I was looking into different places online, it seems like many (while beautiful) aren't really villages where everything you want to see and do is within say 2 miles. I guess I'm trying to see places that are like Bavarian villages with cute little cafes and restaurants with views of mountains, good transportation to do day trips from (or maybe the mountains would be a day trip), and some nice walks, but at a fraction of the price. May not exist lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel