Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 10:23 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,992,527 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I are planning a european vacation within the next year. She wants to visit family in lithuania and england and I want to do some sort of world war ii germany tours and possibly poland? I am looking up we tours and they look like they are running 4k each a person for an 11 day trip. I am trying to see how we can plan this out . Do trains run into lithuania? Should we fly from country to country? Has anyone gone on similar historic we tours? If so how was it and what were the prices and means of travel?

Thanks in Advanced!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 12:15 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
We were in Poland last year and went to Auschwitz. It's almost overwhelming. We planned our entire trip (6 countries) and drove a rental car.

BTW, the WWII museum in New Orleans might be the best in the world. If you are a WWII buff, you should go there.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
We were in Poland last year and went to Auschwitz. It's almost overwhelming. We planned our entire trip (6 countries) and drove a rental car.

BTW, the WWII museum in New Orleans might be the best in the world. If you are a WWII buff, you should go there.
Did you do a tour or were you guys just going by yourselves? Did you visit any where else?

Old 09-28-2015, 07:42 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,538,736 times
Often times it is cheaper to fly via low-cost companies like Easyjet or Ryanair between capitals or major cities. Use their website to compare and check the possibilities of where you are and where you want to go.

Buses in Germany are dirt cheap and very comfortable, for the record. They even have wifi.

For WW2 stuff, there's a great deal of interest in Berlin. Everywhere you go there is something. Off the top of my head, I can remember little gold plaques in the ground (stolpersteine), which represent (I think) the former residence of a person persecuted by the Germans during WW2. You might run into one practically anywhere in town.

You can take an S Bahn train to Sachsenhausen, an old nazi camp slightly to the north of Berlin.

And there are quite a few museums, memorials, and art installations pertaining to WW2 everywhere around the city.

Another cool thing you can do is visit Teufelsberg, which was a large radio tower type complex in west Berlin, used to try and intercept enemy radio traffic. That's more cold war, but meh.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:24 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
I would get a good guide book and a rental car and self tour. I mean, really, a tour guide isn't needed in Europe. However 11 days doesn't give you much time.
I wouldn't miss Normandy either, although it is far away from Poland.
London has an excellent military museam by the way, since you will be in England.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:10 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,489,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I would get a good guide book and a rental car and self tour. I mean, really, a tour guide isn't needed in Europe. However 11 days doesn't give you much time.
I wouldn't miss Normandy either, although it is far away from Poland.
London has an excellent military museam by the way, since you will be in England.
I agree with this.

If you're in England, don't miss the Cabinet War Rooms in London - it's brilliant. I'm not a war buff by any stretch of the imagination, but go to the CWR every time I go to London because it's so good.

Have a good look around this website - lots of great information about War museums etc. in the UK. Click on the menu button at top right.

Imperial War Museums

ETA: Although the website suggests you book tickets for the CWR, I have never done so, and not had a problem getting straight in.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:19 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
My Dad a WWII Historian has done https://www.miltours.com/ a few times and said they were very well done.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:38 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Did you do a tour or were you guys just going by yourselves? Did you visit any where else?
We were on our own. We flew into Prague and after 3 days, rented a car and drove through Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Poland then back to Prague. Then took a sleeper train to Amsterdam. It was a wonderful trip.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
My Dad a WWII Historian has done https://www.miltours.com/ a few times and said they were very well done.
I checked out that website, but the european WWII tour is situated in either d day or russia. Im looking for something towards lithuania, germany, and poland...

Which one exact did your dad do?

Old 09-29-2015, 07:46 PM

I was looking at this one.. the lodging is included...

World War II Tours: Men, Masterpieces, and Monuments Tour

Tour Highlights:
• Visit a World War II Art Shelter in Nuremberg
• Enjoy a Private Tour of the Merkers Salt Mines
• Spend four days in the Bavarian Alps and
take a scenic a lake cruise in Altaussee, Austria
• Experience counts! We have operated World
War II Tours throughout Europe for 20 years

What's Included:
• 11 Nights in 3 and 4 Star Hotels
• 8 Dinners and Breakfasts daily
• All transfers by deluxe coach
• All entrance fees and local taxes
• Paris City Tour with Seine River Cruise
• Visit the world-famous Louvre in Paris
• Includes Hürtgen Forest Battlefield Tour
• Aachen City Tour with visit to the Cathedral
• Visit the Aachen Cathedral Treasure Chamber
• Stop in Cologne town center and Siegen
• Private Tour of the Merkers Salt Mines
• Nuremberg City Tour with historic Courthouse
• Visit an original World War II Art Bunker
• Tour of the former Nazi Party Rally Grounds
• Visit Heilbronn / Bad Friedrichshall Salt Mines
• Tour of Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria
• Tour of Berchtesgaden in the Bavarian Alps
• Explore Hitler's former Alpine Headquarters
• Tour of the Obersalzberg Air-Raid Shelters
• Private Tour of the Altaussee Salt Mines
• Farewell Boat Cruise on Lake Altaussee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel