Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 01:53 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,171,127 times

Advertisements

I've never traveled outside of the country, and honestly I'm afraid my ROI will be dismal. Maybe that's a bad way to think of it, but the fact is two massive oceans separate the Americas from Europe and Asia, and money has to factor in.

My fear is traveling overseas isn't going to live up to my expectations. And I don't know what I'm expecting. I know it's supposed to make you more "cultured", but I feel being a robust reader fulfills that, and how much culture can you get in a week or two in a country where you don't speak the language and can't interact meaningfully with the native population?

I fear I'm going to fly somewhere else, land, and then ask myself, what now? I leave my hotel and where do I go? What do I do? Do I go to a bar? I could go to a bar at home.

I'm pretty much asking what is the mindset you take with you that makes whatever you're doing in another developed country different from anything you can do at home?

Odd question I know, but I almost feel bad because there are maybe, I dunno, 2 places I want to go, but being realistic I'm imagining going there and asking myself what now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 02:09 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
I've never traveled outside of the country, and honestly I'm afraid my ROI will be dismal. Maybe that's a bad way to think of it, but the fact is two massive oceans separate the Americas from Europe and Asia, and money has to factor in.

My fear is traveling overseas isn't going to live up to my expectations. And I don't know what I'm expecting. I know it's supposed to make you more "cultured", but I feel being a robust reader fulfills that, and how much culture can you get in a week or two in a country where you don't speak the language and can't interact meaningfully with the native population?

I fear I'm going to fly somewhere else, land, and then ask myself, what now? I leave my hotel and where do I go? What do I do? Do I go to a bar? I could go to a bar at home.

I'm pretty much asking what is the mindset you take with you that makes whatever you're doing in another developed country different from anything you can do at home?

Odd question I know, but I almost feel bad because there are maybe, I dunno, 2 places I want to go, but being realistic I'm imagining going there and asking myself what now?

So where do you want to go and why? There's no big book that says you have to travel. The thing is if you want to travel. You can't classify ROI, as the return is dependent on the individual. What I will say is that you will get out of it what you put in. If you go, being closed to the experience, you'll find that you won't get much out of it.

Like I said, where do you want to go? Why? Is it the mystery, is it the allure, is it just curiousity?

Old 10-21-2015, 02:20 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,984,151 times
In all my travels all over the world, I've never been disappointed in any vacation, even if it was "just" to Mexico. I get so excited to go somewhere, even if I've been there before or if it isn't for too long. Just keep an open mindset and look for new things, new experiences, new people to meet, new foods and you'll have a blast. I certainly don't speak Chinese, Arabic, Thai, Czech and can't even begin to make out any part of those languages other than "hello" and "thank you", but I have spent weeks in countries that speak those languages and absolutely loved every minute!!!!

Old 10-21-2015, 02:30 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,171,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
So where do you want to go and why? There's no big book that says you have to travel. The thing is if you want to travel. You can't classify ROI, as the return is dependent on the individual. What I will say is that you will get out of it what you put in. If you go, being closed to the experience, you'll find that you won't get much out of it.

Like I said, where do you want to go? Why? Is it the mystery, is it the allure, is it just curiousity?
I'd like to go someplace that doesn't seem like anything I could find in the States. I'd like to go to Egypt. Japan. India. SE Asia.

Unfortunately for me I live on the east coast, just outside of DC. Flights to Asia are prohibitively expensive as they also include a cross continental flight before I've even left the country.

So my choices are primarily in Western Europe or Latin America for a more affordable trip.

Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong. I don't need to be comfortable. I'd like to experience something new, but I'm afraid I'm just going to be dropped off in a random country surrounded by people going to work.

It's like people from all over the world come to DC and I see them all the time and I'm like, why would you come here? It's full of snobby rich people who couple every feasible activity with alcohol in some way.

I think I'm looking at the wrong places. I don't want to eat at a fancy restaurant. I want to eat local fare. The kind of street food I see Anthony Bourdain eating or something. I need to figure out what exactly it is I'm looking for and choose a destination based on that.

Can this thread be closed?

Last edited by Megadell; 10-21-2015 at 02:52 PM..

Old 10-21-2015, 02:57 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Since you've never been overseas, I have a suggestion.

Go someplace simple, but still foreign. Great Britain, perhaps. They speak English, but it's still not like the US (particularly if you get away from the larger cities). Trust me, you'll still feel like you've gone overseas.

That's how I started my DH on enjoying traveling. He had never been out of the USA (except on a cruise ship to the Islands and to an all inclusive in Mexico, neither of which count, IMH). I took him to London, visited my family in Colchester, then we took the train up to Bath, England. He was hooked on travel. He's happily joined me to Europe, Asia, South America, Central America, even lived in Mexico part time for two years. Next month, we're off to Dubai and South Africa.

Had I dragged him to someplace 'exotic' on his first trip, I'm quite sure he would not have adapted easily, or enjoyed his later trips as much.

Walk before you run.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:32 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Since you've never been overseas, I have a suggestion.

Go someplace simple, but still foreign. Great Britain, perhaps. They speak English, but it's still not like the US (particularly if you get away from the larger cities). Trust me, you'll still feel like you've gone overseas.

That's how I started my DH on enjoying traveling. He had never been out of the USA (except on a cruise ship to the Islands and to an all inclusive in Mexico, neither of which count, IMH). I took him to London, visited my family in Colchester, then we took the train up to Bath, England. He was hooked on travel. He's happily joined me to Europe, Asia, South America, Central America, even lived in Mexico part time for two years. Next month, we're off to Dubai and South Africa.

Had I dragged him to someplace 'exotic' on his first trip, I'm quite sure he would not have adapted easily, or enjoyed his later trips as much.

Walk before you run.
I think this is very good and logical advice. London is a fantastic city with something for everyone and you will not run out of things to do over a two week period. Check out a decent travel book from the library and peruse the Internet for ideas on what to do. They speak English and we've found the Brits to be pleasant, helpful, friendly. Their culture is just slightly different enough from ours that you will know you've left the US. But you won't face a language barrier, it's overall very safe. Biggest issue with london is that it's VERY expensive--book a flat with a kitchen to make some meals and save some cash. We like visiting in March, it's the dryest month and the temps are chilly but not freezing and it's a low season for tourists.

It's very easy to get around by Tube. You can take the train to Bath, to Cambridge, or even for a couple days up in Edinborough or Glasgow for a change of pace.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:48 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
By not taking risks, you never really discover your true self. It’s only ever about doing what is safe and easy but how will you ever know what really makes you tick if you’ve never tried it.
Here are few useful tips:
43 Travel Tips for First Time travelers

Are you an adventurous person? Travel is an adventure. If you like routine, everything exactly like at home, if you are not curious, easily bored, don't like to try new things, or sleep in hotels, fear airplanes or ships, fear strangers, get easily lost, or homesick, are scared of locals, ... then travel is not for you.
Otherwise, just do it! Once done, you will want to do it again, and again...

Old 10-21-2015, 05:58 PM

2,127 posts, read 1,797,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
I'd like to go someplace that doesn't seem like anything I could find in the States. I'd like to go to Egypt. Japan. India. SE Asia.

Unfortunately for me I live on the east coast, just outside of DC. Flights to Asia are prohibitively expensive as they also include a cross continental flight before I've even left the country.

So my choices are primarily in Western Europe or Latin America for a more affordable trip.

Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong. I don't need to be comfortable. I'd like to experience something new, but I'm afraid I'm just going to be dropped off in a random country surrounded by people going to work.

It's like people from all over the world come to DC and I see them all the time and I'm like, why would you come here? It's full of snobby rich people who couple every feasible activity with alcohol in some way.

I think I'm looking at the wrong places. I don't want to eat at a fancy restaurant. I want to eat local fare. The kind of street food I see Anthony Bourdain eating or something. I need to figure out what exactly it is I'm looking for and choose a destination based on that.

Can this thread be closed?
Actually I think living in the DC area gives you more opportunities to find deals especially if you expand your departures to New York. There was recently a deal from New York to Hong Kong for under $600. Also there are a couple of low cost carriers (Wow and Norwegian airlines) you can potentially get a round trip flight for less than $300. Just keep in mind that all you have to is find the cheapest way to Europe and one you are there is relatively cheap to get to another country by air or train.

I think one the ways that you soak up the culture of an area is by doing some of the same things that you would do at home but experiencing with different tastes and different people. Then there is something magical about seeing things that you have seen on TV or the movies or have read about in a book. It doesn't have to rise to the level of having to go the top of the Eiffel tower or exploring the Colosseum just seeing these structures in person gives you a sense of wonder that can't be gained from reading about it. I remember when I was in Rome feeling amazed at realization that I was surrounded by buildings that were actually thousands of years old and it was interesting to see how those buildings were blended into a modern city.

When it comes to figuring out where to eat I use several sources, first I may look for suggestions from a Facebook travel group that I belong to, or I may look at Buzzfeed articles about the foods and restaurants I need to try in a given city (most of the time the articles are created from recommendations from readers) and there are also sites like yelp or even something as simple as walking round and looking a menus and picking on a whim.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:03 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
There is plenty of information in English on the internet about potential travel destinations. So I suggest you do some research into potential destinations and what you might be interested in doing when you are there. In particular check out what local attractions and activities you can do at a travel destination that would be of interest to you that you might not be able to do when you are at home.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:30 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,685,432 times
I think it's important that vacations be as long as possible. And don't try to do too much. For example, the people trying to visit eight countries in five days are just being silly. Anyway, I go on vacation to relax and unwind. And that means not much stress. And not much stress means relaxing and enjoying whatever is out there. Don't make too many plans. Just go with the flow. And finally, it's important to not have the feeling of impending bankruptcy. Paying $500 a night for a hotel room is not a good feeling, at least for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel