Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2016, 01:08 PM

11 posts, read 121,377 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at doing a road trip from Indianapolis to Seattle and back in early May. We have to be home by at least the 13th (a Friday) in the evening. We were thinking of leaving on the 1st and coming home the 13th, with the hopes of spending the weekend (7th and 8th) in Seattle with his sister. Any tips for routes, how many miles to do per day, and how to plan the trip with stops to make it the most cost efficient possible? Any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 02:26 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Assuming that you are able to drive 70 mph the entire trip, you have a 32 hour drive to cover the 2300 miles between Indianapolis and Seattle. You will NOT be able to maintain that average as there is significant road construction on I-65 in your home state and May is traditionally the starting date for many road construction projects in the western states. It will be a four day drive when you throw in planned and unplanned stops, meal breaks and the like if safety is a concern.

Then you will spend about four days in Seattle and pretty much make the repeat trip.

I think that you would be better off flying and spending about ten days in Seattle and two days traveling.

You can take either I90 or I94 to the west coast. Neither one will give you a major advantage. And do realize that there can be snow storms in early May along that route that may delay you.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:31 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,081,169 times
It's a lot of driving for sure, but there's no reason it has to be miserable.

Here's a route I'd suggest - https://goo.gl/maps/VboC89Bo6uv . It entails long first and last days, Indianapolis to Lincoln NE, but splits at Lincoln. Westbound it travels through the beautiful and remote-feeling Nebraska sandhills, up to I-90 just before Badlands NP - you MUST do the easy loop drive through the Badlands, then stops in the Black Hills. (I've shown Deadwood but it could also be Rapid City - maybe an evening look at Mt. Rushmore.) Then across northern Wyoming and Montana to Missoula, then into Seattle.

Coming back, head south to Hood River, Oregon, and spend half a day exploring the Columbia River Gorge. In May the many waterfalls will be full of water from melting mountain snow, and the orchards in the Hood River Valley may still be in bloom.

Then across Oregon to Idaho, with the next night in Twin Falls. Then through Utah and southern Wyoming to Cheyenne, then back to Lincoln and back to Indianapolis.

This would give you three or four nights in Seattle and one to spare somewhere along the road. Below I've included 3 nights in Seattle and 2 in Hood River 'cause it's so wonderful in the spring.

Overnight locations -
  1. Lincoln NE
  2. Deadwood SD
  3. Missoula MT
  4. Seattle
  5. Seattle
  6. Seattle
  7. Hood River OR
  8. Hood River OR
  9. Twin Falls ID
  10. Cheyenne WY
  11. Lincoln NE
  12. Indianapolis
Note you could easily reverse this if it meant hitting Seattle on the right days of the week.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:46 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,247 times
We drove from Northern Michigan to Washington State last summer, we took 14 days to cover a total of 5,200 miles. This included a half day at the Sturgis motorcycle rally, a day each way in Yellowstone Park and 5 days in Washington. We drove an average of 600 miles a day on our way there, I-90 through South Dakota and Wyoming is 80mph so we travelled the speed limit through those portions.

As I've said in other posts try and find accommodation and food stops close to the freeway so you don't spend too long running around towns looking for hotels.

I worked out that you could get to Omaha NE on the first day thats about 600 miles, then Gillette to Missoula for a reasonable 575 mile day (this route takes you over the ever so beautiful Big Horn Mountains) then on to Seattle which would give you less than 500 miles on your last day travellling. So thats 4 days out and 4 days returning which gives you 5 full days in Seattle before heading home.
Note: we found it easier to bust out long days on the way home so maybe plan a couple of 700 mile days then ?

Old 03-29-2016, 09:15 PM

11 posts, read 121,377 times
You guys are AMAZING!! Huge thanks to Gardyloo, that is so much helpful info. Jan Alaska, great info too!! What an exciting trip it sounds like you had! And jlawrence01 I appreciate your input as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel