Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2016, 11:47 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,273,026 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I (40 and 33) and our 12-year-old daughter are going to Orlando this next December. I have a convention there for 4 days, and then we plan to stay for 6-days doing the typical touristy stuff. We are definitely NOT seasoned travelers.

Any advice would be appreciated on what we should do and when. The convention ends on a Tuesday, and our plane leaves the next Tuesday, so we are there for the full days from Wednesday to Monday to do stuff.

Our "must-do's" include one day at Discovery Cove (because swimming with dolphins is ALWAYS on my wife's wish list), and probably at least two days at WDW.

Anything else is debatable for the other three days.

I understand that a Discovery Cove ticket also gets you free admission into Seaworld or Aquatica water park, so those may be options, but not essential if they're not worth it.

We aren't really interested in doing the "trendy" stuff, or the "secret" stuff that only the "expert tourists" do - i.e. we don't want to search-out a hole-in-the-wall bar to listen to some Indy Rock Band, and/or we don't want to hang out at fancy wineries.

We just want to do the touristy theme park stuff, and want advice on which places to go, which days of the week are best to go where, etc.

Thanks very much for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 01:43 PM

16,673 posts, read 17,440,619 times
This book may well be written for Brits, but the advice within holds true for all.

Over the years this has been invaluable to us and to others we have recommended it to.

It gives advice among so many other things on the best days to visit, and also to avoid, certain theme parks.

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Orlando...s=books&sr=1-1

On the UK site there is a 2016 version.

Old 06-05-2016, 02:49 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,273,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
This book may well be written for Brits, but the advice within holds true for all.

Over the years this has been invaluable to us and to others we have recommended it to.

It gives advice among so many other things on the best days to visit, and also to avoid, certain theme parks.

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Orlando...s=books&sr=1-1

On the UK site there is a 2016 version.
Thanks a lot. I didn't realize such a book even existed. I will look at that and see if there are others like it.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:41 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,796,079 times
If you will have a car you may want to consider going to Tampa to visit Busch Gardens. Also you could drive to Cape Canaveral and depending on the weather you might want to check out a beach town.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:25 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,111,132 times
Disney World is huge. There are 4 parks and 2 water parks. Are you planning to do just one park? Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom are my favorite. I spent a week at Disney in January and I still didn't have enough time to do everything I wanted to do. Just saying you may want to consider more than 2 days for Disney. Disney Springs is worth checking out too and you don't need a park ticket to go there. Tons of great restaurants and shopping there. Don't forget about Universal as well. Universal has a free to the public area called City Walk that has a lot of shops and restaurants. International Drive is a cool area as well. We did the Orlando Eye the last time I was there and spent time just walking around. There is a lot to see there. There's also a Pirate's Cove mini golf.

I'm a huge Disney nut, so my advice would be to spend most of your time there. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions! I love Orlando and am actually hoping to move there in a couple months!

Old 06-07-2016, 07:05 PM

619 posts, read 575,825 times
Enjoy!! There are a number of dedicated Disney forums out there - find them and do your research. You'll want to figure out which tickets to buy, if you want the food plan or not, pros and cons of staying at an official site property, rent a car (and pay for parking and battle traffic) or use the shuttles etc

My two cents (was there a few times about twenty years ago, once with two kids, one 11 and one 10, and the other times alone).:
1. It can be overwhelming. Lots to see, expensive, crowds, lines. You can't do it all, so don't worry, just do what you can and enjoy.
2. If you can, get there early.
3. The crowds tend to go in a certain direction. Choose the most popular ride and walk there *fast*. Then make your way back. E. G., splash mountain or space mountain in magic Kingdom
4.if money is an issue, the limit yourselves to spending x$ per day. For example, tell your daughter she can have two treats a day, so she has to choose, ice cream and souvenir or coke and cotton candy.
5. Go to a local Publix or Kmart and stock up on fruit, granola bars, and water. May seem like not a big deal but it really adds up.
6. Parks I loved :epcot, magic Kingdom, animal kingdom. Enjoyed but could live without :sea world (buy I was there before they put in rides), universal.
7.find out when the fireworks are and be there. Spectacular.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:56 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,090,697 times
Disney in December is Awesome ! Make sure that you arrange to attend a Disney Christmas event. At Magic Kingdom, they usually close the park at 6 and reopen for a Christmas theme, which requires you to leave and buy another ticket to return. Once in a lifetime, it is worth every pence.

They also have programs (Or if you are English, programmes) in Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Check and see what night time program will be taking place. If you have two days at Disney, most people with small kids choose magic Kingdom first, which is the Iconic Disney. We have teenage kids we prefer EPCOT because pf the culture/technology, but we are that type anyway. Hollywood Studios id fun as well. We had annual passes last year and spent probably 2 days a week in the summer plus two weekend days a month there, but we never once stepped foot in Animal Kingdom, and did not miss it at all.

But if you like Animals, go for it, although Busch Gardens in Tampa, an hour and a half away, has a better animal collection and better ride choices as well.

Shira is correct too especially in the above post with #5. All Disney parks allow outside snacks, so take bottled water (you can refill it at the foundtain), fruits, snack items with you. Coca-cola will set you back $4. a bottle in the park.
And Turkey legs are $11.

As for meals in a park, plan on lunch BEFORE 1115 and Dinner at 4. You can go on Disney Website and reserve times at certain restaurants in advance. Walk in restaurants fill up between 1115 and two, expect waits up to an hour and good luck finding a table.
LUNCH
Our faves at magic Kingdom are the Taco place across from the Pirates of the Carribean (LUNCH ONLY) Wild Bills at the edge of Frontierland, and the Casey Jones Hotdog stand at MainStreet (IF you like Hotdogs)
Dinner
The Cosmic Cafe in Tomorrowland, the aforementioned Palace with Tigger and Friends.
If your 12 year old daughter however wants Princess Dining in the Castle, you need to book that today on the website. It may already be sold out !

For example, you will not get a table the same day at the Sci Fi Cafe in Hollywood studios. And it rates 5 stars for fun.

Likewise the Character buffets which run $50 a person sell out well in advance. In Magic Kingdom the Character dining at the Palace on Main Street is %50 a person, and you pay for a decent 3 star all you can eat buffet and the privilege of Tigger coming by your table and posing for photos. And yes people pay for this. Just try getting a table the same day without a reservation and you will see.

In general, we stick with Universal and Disney and avoid the touristy hangers on of International Drive. Most eateries there add about 75% to what you would pay otherwise at home. Best to stick with the quality experience of the Mouse or Universal, and try not to go broke.

But above all else, have fun. It may be a once in a lifetime experience for your family give them some good memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel