Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 12:15 PM

45,529 posts, read 60,771,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I have ZERO interest in staying in a hostel. It's either a decent hotel or cabin/cottage with facilities. You vacation how you like to vacation and let others do the same. The world would be so much better off if people worried about themselves and not everyone else.
A hostel is for poor 20 something's or retired people who miss being a hippie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 12:21 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,655,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
But that is exactly what pisses me off about Western tourists, particularly Americans. What's the point of going on vacation if you don't do these things? If someone wants to read an English menu and eat a burger, stay home!
What do you care if dude A wants to spend a week sitting on the beach? What do you care if dude B wants to spend a week on a cruise ship? What do you care if dude C wants to spend a week in a tent in the mountains not bathing or shaving and hunting his own food?

Just because you want to eat off a menu that isn't your native language doesn't mean everyone does. Many people have dietary restrictions. Many people aren't adventurous with their meals....not many folks I know jump at the chance to eat squid, shark fin, or roasted dog. heck, for some an adventurous meal is lobster ravioli! And you know what? That's ok. They're eating it not you. Who made you the vacation police?

Old 08-16-2016, 12:22 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,655,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
A hostel is for poor 20 something's or retired people who miss being a hippie.
I had ZERO interest in hostels when I was in my 20's. Totally not my idea of a good time. I've never been a hippie so when I retire I won't lose my mind and suddenly have an insane desire to stay in a hostel.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:35 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,772,620 times
Suggest you get over yourself.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:03 PM

263 posts, read 231,354 times
Quote:
But that is exactly what pisses me off about Western tourists, particularly Americans. What's the point of going on vacation if you don't do these things? If someone wants to read an English menu and eat a burger, stay home!
I think this is a bit shortsighted. There are huge differences between staying in different parts of the USA...both have English menus and burgers...there's much more to a vacation than that (for me at least)

Old 08-16-2016, 01:19 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,266,549 times
Quote:
I don't know anyone who enjoys "reading" a menu in a language they don't understand, whether they are on vacation or not.

Are you a tour guide or something? I don't think I'd want to have you as my guide.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,767 posts, read 58,209,379 times
You eat at places that have menus?

That is not being very well traveled

Denny's ?

Old 08-16-2016, 02:06 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,025,306 times
Quote:
Just think how pissed off you'd really be if it was your money that they were spending.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:23 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,931,340 times
Quote:
We had a post about this the other week - it's not western tourists in particular and definetly not American's - the global standard of tourism is English language and western food. It's just the way it is. A well-to-do Chinese person visiting the tourist areas of Greece will want an English menu (because there will usually be no Chinese menu) and a burger.
It's always good to get off the beaten path away from the tourists, I think American's are on the forefront of that, but there are many tourists from many other countries that still want to see the well traveled tourist sights.

One other thing - I've seen the standard backpacker/hostel traveler. Many end up a month at a Thai westernized beach living in a dirty cramped room that is anything BUT off the beaten pack. I would call them more like tourist slums. Their sole interest is cheap beer, members of the opposite sex, laying on a beach during the day and getting wasted at night...all while surrounded by like-minded western kids. It's not "outside the box"...it is the box.

Last edited by Dd714; 08-16-2016 at 02:32 PM..

Old 08-16-2016, 02:32 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,266,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You eat at places that have menus?

That is not being very well traveled

Denny's ?
Well the last dinner out that I had was grilled kabobs on our houseboat. They were delicious and no menu was required. The scenery was gorgeous and the company and conversion was wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel