Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 09:15 AM

4,218 posts, read 4,741,886 times

Advertisements

http://kadavy.net/blog/posts/mini-lives/

Is there another name or phrase for those that do this?

I'm *highly* interested in incorporating more travel in my life. I'm single and 37 and I work full time in Chicago; my home town is in the south (born in SC and spent all my adult life minus the past 4 years in Atlanta).

My current job which I've been at for just shy of 2 years has sent me to about 6 countries in the past year; I'd never been out of the country until working here. The travel for my current project is over plus they're cutting down company wide on this sort of travel so I can't expect to do this anymore.

It's ignited a travel bug and I'd love to see more of the world. I often wonder how I can really see all I want to considering I have only 3 weeks of vacation a year and spend over a week at home for the holidays. This seems like a *potential* option. I have no clue if my company would allow this though; seems kinda far fetched as I'm only 2 years in. Most of my peers on my team with the same title do work abroad and unfortunately since I'm the only local one in the office my boss has made it pretty clear she REALLY REALLY likes having me HERE. In the flesh...in person in the office. :/

Anywho, anyone ever done this before? Maybe down the road I'd even consider looking at another company similar to the one I'm at now that would allow me to work remotely. Until then if there are others who do this or have done this in the past I'd like to hear about their experiences. It seems like a lot of work but potentially very rewarding as I'd love to experience a new country for 3-6 months or so at a time rather than 3-6 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 02:03 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
I don't get the term "mini-life" at all as it goes to then explain so many different varied ways of incorporating travel in one's life that it is impossible to classify or make sense of fitting it into one category. Ignore the term.

For you it sounds like you have the opportunity with work so I would pursue that avenue. 6 international trips a year isn't bad as long as you aren't going to the same place (I was going so often to the Netherlands it was like crossing the street). The best thing about that of course is the company pays for the trip. I would often tag on some personal time with my work time - have a 5 day business trip? Arrive early and leave late and make it 10 days. Work on your boss and look for oppurtunities, maybe people leaving and you can take there place. Sell him on the idea of why you need to travel to do your job. If you just want to work remotely (I do that) you can sell him on that as well. After all, work should be a thing you do, not a place to go to. 21st century workers should be able to work remotely if it is not a customer facing position, the technology is there...some companies and/or bosses however still have last century mentality. But, obviously, you gotta work...you can't spend all day seeing tourist sites. 6 months is almost expat territory, maybe you can pursue that option as well with your employer.

Be careful what you wish for however, the burn-out ratio for heavy business travelers is high. 3 or 4 years is about the most one can take. It's not all fun, and there are personal sacrifices, you get jaded, you get tired of long flights, and, sadly, unbelievably, places start to look the same.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:57 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,291 times
Working remotely is one of those things that most people will never have the chance to do. And even if it seems feasible, your employer might not like the idea.

I once had a job that could have been done from anywhere in the world, so long as I had an internet connection. There was absolutely no reason why it was necessary for me to sit in an office every day. And yet that's what I had to do.

Most people that I've run across that have the flexibility to work in different places around the world have short term contract jobs here and there. They might work in Singapore for six months, then they're off until they get a new contract, which might take them to another corner of the world.

Old 01-27-2016, 03:39 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Digital nomad is the term you are looking for. Googling this term will give you loads of information that should help you out.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:55 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Telecommuting is another term that you might want to google.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:40 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times
https://www.flexjobs.com/blog/post/1...n-requirement/

Quote:
3. PHP and JavaScript Developer: This is a great opportunity: full-time, remote, and salaried. What are the duties? Technical requirements include a minimum of two years of development experience and familiarity with PHP and JavaScript. The successful candidate will need passion and a willingness to take on a wide range of projects.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Old thread, but.... I much prefer working in a position where the company PAYS you to travel / relocate. It is expensive to do this on your own.

Most companies take very good care of their ex-pats and you get coverage / support for emergency evacuations / randsom... More important once you have dependants. Very nice to be sent ex-pat as family. Did my kids a lot of good via trials, and spoiled them a bit too. They adapted to either condition better than their parents. It is a good education to live internationally. Living as a local is very cheap and way to meet lifelong friends. Living as an expat is a treat, but pretty nice for the family, since you will be working 70 - 80 hr weeks.

I like working Saturday, as you only have to work 1/2 day. (12 hrs, instead of 24 hrs)

Old 09-11-2016, 06:26 AM

4,218 posts, read 4,741,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Thanks for thinking of me and coming back to post an opportunity in this thread.

Sometimes I wish I did work in IT or was a programmer, as it seems that's the best industry to be in for working remotely.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:08 PM

75 posts, read 90,793 times
My husband and I (and our two kids) made the leap to do just that...become digital nomads. We've planned it for quite some time. First planned as taking a year off to see the world, then my husband decided to make the leap to starting his own business remotely. And it is cheaper for us to travel like this and for him to start his business, than for us to have the same lifestyle we had before (with a mortgage, etc) while starting a business. It's a win-win. A more challenging life, but very rewarding.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
There are many careers catering to remote workers. All our GE sales and technical field reps had to go 'remote'.

https://skillcrush.com/2014/10/10/si...g-remote-work/

Forbes Welcome

Publishing, medical, contract CAD and layout techs, call centers,

Do you want to travel with work, or do you want to work remote? ( from your home)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel