Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you get to & from airport when you travel for personal reasons
Car/ Shuttle service 27 28.72%
Drive and park in long term parking 40 42.55%
Ask family or friends 27 28.72%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 10:39 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times

Advertisements

Reading travel threads and travel myself so I wondered how most of you get to and from the airport on personal trips.

I feel if I can afford vacation I am either driving to airport and leaving car in long term parking or paying for a shuttle/car service and not asking friends or family to haul me there. We usually drive to airport and park.
I worry about delayed planes and or canceled flights and do not want to have to depend on family or friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 10:45 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
Where's the option for train or bus?

Old 11-27-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Where's the option for train or bus?
Very true, I thought of that after I posted and do not know how to actually edit the poll

Old 11-27-2013, 10:47 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
All 3 above + sometimes take Subway.

Most of the time, I drive and park @ off-site long term parking.

The subway in Atlanta is Not 24x7, and One times my flight was delayed to the point that I missed the last subway out. The Cost/Risk factor make me not take subway. Cost to park @ subway station is $6/day + $5 Subway fare.
Long Term Parking is ~$7.50/day with coupon (off there website). 24x7 access to car 5 minutes from airport, 30-45min Drive home, Vs subway ~15min wait for subway, 45min subway ride, 20 min drive from subway station to home.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:47 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,825 times
Home city is Baltimore. We take taxis to/from the airport.

In cities with excellent public transit we usually try to take the train/subway if possible as in many cases it's only marginally slower than taking a taxi (and in some cases it's quicker). This generally applies in Europe.

In other destinations that we know won't have good transit links or the airport is too far from where we want to go, it's either a taxi or a prearranged hire car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Reading travel threads and travel myself so I wondered how most of you get to and from the airport on personal trips.

I feel if I can afford vacation I am either driving to airport and leaving car in long term parking or paying for a shuttle/car service and not asking friends or family to haul me there. We usually drive to airport and park.
I worry about delayed planes and or canceled flights and do not want to have to depend on family or friends.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:51 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I live three miles from the airport,. If I have a flight at a time that is inconvenient for getting a ride, I simply hoof it. It is only a 45 minute walk. My carry on is a travel pack with backpack straps.

Returning home from one of my common destinations, It is a 30+ minute drive, so I either get a ride from family, or hire a town car for about $50.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:53 AM

This really came about as when my son and DIL were going to Sandals in St Lucia in Feb last year leaving from JFK and asked me to take them to airport...I was if you can afford a 7 day vacation at Sandals in St Lucia you can afford to park long term at airport or off site or have a car/shuttle service take you...

Old 11-27-2013, 10:56 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
We shuttle back and forth to the airport. Our trips are 2-4 weeks long. Why inconvenience someone to drive in heavy traffic, or pay hundreds of dollars in parking fees, or just leaving it in an open unprotected space. There's also the case of someone doing damage to your vehicle or breaking into it.
The 40 minute ride to the airport and back is well worth the shuttle cost.
We do not have bus, train or subway service where we live.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:16 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,373,160 times
In order of preference:
1. Family/friends. Our airport is an hour drive away so we usually do this in trade for each other's trips, or there are some younger friends I know and trust enough and they love to make $20-40 bucks just for driving up to Denver and back. I let them use my older car with my gas in it, so all it's costing them is time.

2. Self park at the discount ($7/day) lot. It works well in a pinch but it quickly gets a lot more pricey than paying a friend $20 and hour to drop and retrieve us. And you still have to deal with getting on a shuttle to the terminal and back which can real be a pain in the cold/dark/rain/snow, especially with two little kids in tow.

3. Taxi. $100 door to door but it's the most convenient option barring a reliable friend and its hardly any more than 2 people in the commuter shuttle. I got our driver's # the first time because he said he'd gladly make the trek to get us instead of driving in circles around the airport for a couple hours for the same or less money. I'm not sure i he'll feel the same way now, depending on gas prices that day, but I keep the number handy anyways although I haven't needed it for years.

4. Airport shuttle from our town. Cost $30-40 one way to be crammed into a smelly van and takes way over an hour with all the stops, but it's do-able in a pinch if its just me. If it's two or more people, it makes more sense to take a cab.

5. The bus. Even if it still ran that way (which it hasn't for a couple years now) it took hours to get there with at least 3 transfers for minimal savings over the shuttle. The train is not an option here unless you happen to be a lump of coal.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:49 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
We do not have a bus or train option so the local Door to Door Airporter is a godsend. I think it's about $35 rt. What I appreciate is that this airport has one of the highest late/cancellation rates of any airport and if you miss your plane they are waiting for you anyway, without your having to call them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel