Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2017, 09:57 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisertime View Post
I think fears are overblown due to all the TV propaganda to help boost our military funding and serve as a distraction for the real horrors going on around the world. bad **** can happen anywhere. Our own government can detain you for any propped up charges too and probably collects more data and surveillance than the boogeyman in NK.

It's probably safer there than most of North Philly or Detroit.

These guys I follow visited....interesting viewing. Much of it was even surprising to me, who was guilty of being conditioned by the same brainwashing most of my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZZ_J1m8KKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QaNA9eSQVE

You just can't believe all the BS you're fed in the "news".

They have

their own Crater lake they share on the

border with China and is quite beautiful and so is ours.

You can visit it from China instead, but it's

pretty remote I think. I'm sure there's more.

Heaven Lake (Cheonji) - crater lake | Fresh Travel Destinations

and I'll bet 99% of people on this site aren't aware that domestic propaganda was made legal in 2012- 2013 with the repeal of the Smith-Mundt act and companies like Bell-Pottinger were given $540M contracts to make propaganda videos over in Syria/Middle east among other places. This is happening at home too. You just have to open your eyes and it becomes obvious.
The crater lake(tianchi) is actually a very popular tourist destination in China. There are plenty of hotels(Westin,Sheraton, etc), restaurants and pretty much all the tourist infrastructure you need.
Starwood Hotels & Resorts
Starwood Hotels & Resorts

There's no need to go to North Korea for the lake.

Anyway, if you have been to the Crater Lake in Oregon, you don't really need to visit other crater lakes around the world. I'm not saying the American one is better, but a crater lake is just a crater lake. You see one, you see all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 09:58 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I'm not very concerned with risk. Downtown Buffalo is definitely more dangerous.

As I stated before, you won't be allowed leave the guided tour to explore the real North Korea. I'm not interested in the staged show.
Well, they cannot stage the whole country. As you can see, you will explore various places within the capital Pyongyang but also drive around the country for several hours and see a lot about the countryside if you book those kind of excursions. You see poor towns with just dirt roads, people working in the fields, many military trucks in poor condition.

We discussed with our guide after a couple of days if we were allowed to go the main railway station which is nicely illuminated at night, and he said he will check with his bosses. So that evening we went out as a group (while not allowed to talk to local people) and walked there from our hotel and took some photos.

Yes, many things are staged. But still you will get a really deep impression of a closed country, that few people in the world might get.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Well, they cannot stage the whole country. As you can see, you will explore various places within the capital Pyongyang but also drive around the country for several hours and see a lot about the countryside if you book those kind of excursions. You see poor towns with just dirt roads, people working in the fields, many military trucks in poor condition.

We discussed with our guide after a couple of days if we were allowed to go the main railway station which is nicely illuminated at night, and he said he will check with his bosses. So that evening we went out as a group (while not allowed to talk to local people) and walked there from our hotel and took some photos.

Yes, many things are staged. But still you will get a really deep impression of a closed country, that few people in the world might get.
Did you see anything special?

Old 06-29-2017, 10:18 AM

What would you consider "special"?

We saw everything from landscape, people, architecture,...

Old 06-29-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:

Something you can't see in other Asian countries.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:

It sounds like China in the early 70s.

Even though you can't talk to locals in North Korea, you can probably talk to older Chinese if you are curious about what it's like living in a poor isolated communist state back then.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
It sounds like China in the early 70s.

Even though you can't talk to locals in North Korea, you can probably talk to older Chinese if you are curious about what it's like living in a poor isolated communist state back then.
Or just South Koreans.... even though they weren't exactly communist, it was a poor country ruled by a dictator.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:07 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:

....saw people .... but were forbidden to talk with them ? ( post #122, 2nd paragraph )

Woooooo, what a great experience !............SARC

Old 06-29-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
....saw people .... but were forbidden to talk with them ? ( post #122, 2nd paragraph )

If you were allowed to talk to them, still they would only understand Korean and maybe some little Chinese.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post

I guess everyone is skinny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel