Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 03:20 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times

Advertisements

I am traveling to Europe and found their flight tickets much cheaper than others, and their schedule is good for me (leaving in the evening and arriving at noon), so I booked.

But later I realized they charge money for every piece of luggage. This is ok because I will only bring one backpack, and actually my cost is covered.

However, I also heard any drink or food costs money. You pay $5 for a bottle of water on the plane. The worst thing is, they have a high probability of losing bags or not being able to deliver them on time.

I made a phone call to ask about cancellation, also to test their customer service. The man said I can only get the taxes back although I booked less than 24 hours ago. It does sound like a ripoff business which fights the customers for every penny.

I wonder if anyone actually took it before and what your experience is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 04:40 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Sounds like any other discount airline (Frontier, Spirit, etc). You get what you pay for.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:52 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
I'm considering using them for a trip to Iceland next summer. I travel with just a backpack and I'd carry on food/water. I figure for the 7 hour flight, I can deal with it. I will also fly Spirit domestically. Just need to plan ahead!

Old 07-29-2017, 10:27 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
it's a discount airline. Of course they nickel and dime customers, that's how they stay in business and offer that cheap fare you booked.

Next time, read the fine print. You're not getting ripped off, you're getting exactly what you paid for.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:21 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
it's a discount airline. Of course they nickel and dime customers, that's how they stay in business and offer that cheap fare you booked.

Next time, read the fine print. You're not getting ripped off, you're getting exactly what you paid for.
Everyone knows cheap price means cheap service.
What I was asking about is "real experience" so I can judge myself.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:29 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,795,253 times
I have flown them twice and found them to be fine. While it is true that they charge for everything they are far and away much better than Spirit airlines. I checked bags both times and there weren't any issues with the bags, and the first time I flew them it was a connecting flight to Amsterdam so they had several opportunities to lose my bag.

The only thing I didn't like is that they didn't have in flight entertainment or wifi available on board, fortunately they do have plugs at each seat so be sure to bring your own entertainment. Otherwise the seats are comfortable and the crew is pleasant. If you are already planning to travel with just a backpack you will be fine. You can see their inflight food options with prices before you travel and if you don't like your options you can either bring something with you or pick up something at the airport.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Used WOW internationally, no problem.

If you are a budget traveler (likely if booking WOW). your objective is to get to your destination... inexpensively!

they are fine... objective met! on with the travel

Old 07-30-2017, 07:14 PM

244 posts, read 414,938 times
I have never personally traveled on WOW, but have flown Icelandaire which I enjoyed. The service was amazing, and the price was still reasonable in comparison to most other airlines when traveling to Europe. We enjoyed their "stay over" option in Iceland for five days when we were on our way back home from Amsterdam last summer. If you have a chance, take advantage, even if it is only over night. Reyjavik is an amazing city, well worth the visit.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:33 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Just like Zeppelin, I used Icelandaire to the UK, and did the stopover - highly recommend it.

As to WOW, agree with another poster who said it's a no frills airline. I can understand why they are no refund. Their business model is to be a as cheap and basic as possible. Yes, you pay for things you wouldn't on other flights. And baggage if you travel with a lot can get expensive. But they have some amazing deals. I receive their fare alerts and wish I had to time to take some trips with them. I was checking out their planes and staff when I was in Iceland. Planes are new, staff are very well dressed and professional.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:25 PM

605 posts, read 669,993 times
WOW Air is a budget carrier so if you are expecting to get overly pampered by flight attendants, than you will be severely disappointed. However I have used them in the past and overall I have no complaints especially considering the price I paid for the tickets (I even seen deals for airfare as low as $99 to Reykjavik), and all of the staff were very courteous and professional, plus I would rather have a layover in Keflavik than in some of the larger European Airports such as Paris-CDG or Frankfurt which is way too hectic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel