Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 08:55 AM

638 posts, read 594,248 times

Advertisements

Given the choices, and having been to all three. Prague.

I don't really understand the constraint of walking etc. Taxis are cheap and plentiful in all of them (though munich they are more expensive). Prague even has uber what was laughably cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 09:31 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Since, like you I haven't been to any of these... other than a quick & pleasant business foray in Munich once, & they are all central European cities of merit, I would probably find something like a festival or event to tip in favor of one over the others. Or an interest in something very location specific like architecture, cuisine, beer, art...

Old 10-18-2017, 11:14 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,069 times
Prague - has original architecture since Hilter spared bombing it. Most compact.

Budapest - A little more spread out. Mostly rebuilt. Has good tram system. Liked it.

Munich - a bit run down and not having as many touristy spots - but that might be a positive to some.

I would choose Prague, having been to all three.

Salzburg is good and has attractions but I found it a bit pricey, a bit too glitzy and people a bit cold and rude. Have not been to Bruges or Ghent, which I heard are lovely.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:32 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Prague seems most suitable. It is compact, and has a lot to see, and many great restaurants as well. Very touristy but that's because it is so uniquely beautiful.

Munich is not so pretty. People go to Munich to explore the surrounding mountainous areas. If you are not ready to walk and hike, forget about it. There are bus tours though.

I have not been to Budapest, but from what I learned it is not as beautiful as Prague (but still a great place to see) with fewer impressive attractions/buildings outside the parliament building. I myself want to see it next spring.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:46 PM

8,865 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Vienna is better than all three. Go there instead.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:12 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Prague. Four of the five historical areas (Hradcany or castle area, Stare Mesto or old town, Josefov or Jewish quarter, and Malastrana or lower quarter) are right on top of each other, an easy walk. Novy Mesto, new town, starts just outside Old Town but wanders a bit farther afield. There is nothing quite like Old Town Square at night or the Charles Bridge during the day - and they are 3 minutes apart.

Budapest has two "old towns" (Buda and Pest), making it harder to see it all, but is very much worthwhile. To me, Munich is bland compared to the other two cities.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:26 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Since, like you I haven't been to any of these... other than a quick & pleasant business foray in Munich once, & they are all central European cities of merit, I would probably find something like a festival or event to tip in favor of one over the others. Or an interest in something very location specific like architecture, cuisine, beer, art...
Umm, crowds are the last thing we're interested in when we travel. Waiting for tables in the restaurants, waiting on lines, waiting and hassling to get taxis/uber, crowded streets. . . No thanks. I don't like them in the US either.

Anywho, the river cruise that would have brought us to this area of the world has been postponed for at least another year. Thanks for the suggestions - and actually Praque sounds wonderful, following closely by Budapest.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:27 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
I realize the river cruise is put on hold but I'll add another suggestion. Bavaria is only an hour from Munich. You could also go to Dachau as well. I remember Bavaria as a much smaller city than Munich.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:23 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
I've been to all three and Budapest would be my first choice followed by Prague. They feel smaller and you are able to spend time in a small part of the city.

But don't overlook Krakow. I would go there before any on your list. We had a rental car and drove to Auschwitz. It was worth the trip.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:00 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,825 times
I'm surprised to see people describe Munich as run down. It's a very affluent and well-heeled city. The train station and immediate vicinity isn't the most attractive area (which is generally the case for most urban train stations) but the city center is otherwise quite lovely and well cared for. Budapest, by contrast, is far more shabby.

Prague is the most stunning of the three cities and the most compact. That would be my first choice based on the parameters you gave. But Krakow is also well worth a visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel