Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 02:51 AM

3 posts, read 16,886 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm planning on taking a trip from Curitiba Brazil to Mexico DF and I want to do it by bus. Anyone could help me please? I couldn't find almost any information about really loooong distance busses... Ideas? Recomendations? Tips? Any web page that I could look into? I would really appreciate it if you could give me a hand here.. Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 09:53 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,890,894 times
Default Bus Trip

It sounds as if you will have to obtain that information locally when you arrive. I don't think a travel agent could help also. Flying might be the easiest way of travel.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:17 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
I have traveled by land all through the Americas by land using bus, car, train and ferry boats. I have also been to your city Curitiba, Parana and I like it very much. A famous city bus system and great parks in the city. A nice place to live.

As you may know, there is no road through the Darien jungle between southern Panama and north west corner of Colombia. You will have to fly from either Colombia or Venezuela to Panama. There are no ferry boats either. You might be able to get onto a commercial cargo ship from the port of Cartegena, Colombia to Panama.

You have two main choices to get from Curitiba to Cartagena, Colombia. Do you want to stay in Brasil and take a route straight north through Brasilia to Santarem, then boat to Manaus, then bus to Boa Vista? From there bus to Ciudad Bolivar and Caracas, Venezuela and then bus to Cartagena.

Plan B is bus northwest to Campo Grande and Coromba. Leave MG do Sul and enter Bolivia and bus to Santa Cruz de la Sierra, then La Paz. This will be the toughest part of the trip because bus service from Santa Cruz to La Paz is not very timely or reliable, because of poor road conditions. But it will be beautiful and an adventure. From La Paz, you have better bus connections heading north towards Lima, Quito and Bogota. Watch out in the high altitude areas of the Andes, you can get very sick from the altitude. Drink coca leaf tea in Bolivia, it helps a little bit.

Bienvenidos-Grupo Ormeño (http://www.grupo-ormeno.com.pe/rutas1.php - broken link)

From Bogota, you could fly to Panama or continue by bus to Cartagena or Barranquilla and fly to Panama from there. Or try for a cargo ship trip to Panama.

Panama to Tapachula, Mexico (near Guatamala border), a good choice is Tica Bus. It would take many days for this trip that goes through Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador and Guatamala. You can buy a Tica Bus ticket that lets you stop off at any of the major cities along the way.
http://www.ticabus.com/mapa.html (broken link)

Once you arrive at Tapachula, there are numerous first class bus lines that leave many times a day headed north to Oaxaca and Mexico DF. Mexico has a great long distance bus system, very similar to what you have in Brasil. You will arrive at Terminal del Oriente bus station in DF.

ADO - GL - Servicios de Lujo (http://www.adogl.com.mx/es/index.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel