Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 07:06 AM

112 posts, read 166,550 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know of any good vacation websites to reference? I'm looking for a quick trip to somewhere like Cancun, or the Caribbean and the most economical rate possible. It seems like all the inclusive hotels are roughly 1k or more per person, but when checking online numerous ppl share that they were able to find cheap deals for less than that but they never say where! If you have a website I can reference I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 09:48 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,528,088 times
Have you tried Hotwire?

Old 05-01-2018, 09:58 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,772,200 times
We like to take several vacations a year so we shop around.

Funjet - good for bundling air and hotel. Not always cheapest however
Expedia - also good for bundling and prices here are typically lowest. If you find another site lower it often includes a fee or taxes that bring it up. I typically use Expedia to baseline what certain dates and locations will cost. I then try different things like shifting dates a little, going to Hotwire etc. to see how the price changes.

Definitely try Hotwire for the hotel. If you look at it close enough you can normally identify which hotel it is and get a better price. Sometimes a way better price.

A trick with Expedia is to make sure you have an account, then book airfare only. Expedia will then start to offer you pretty good discounts on hotels. A recent trip we were getting discounts of 25%. You do have to book before it expires, I do not recall how long the offer lasted, maybe a week. In this case the savings here were better than what would have been saved by bundling.

Oh, also sign up for Hotwire and start looking around while logged in. Shop around but do not complete a booking. It is very likely you will be emailed a coupon code.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:01 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,698,043 times
Kayak or tripadvisor is what we use. Hotwire won't tell you certain info, such as hotel, until you've already submitted your personal information.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:09 AM

I forgot about Tripadvisor. Not only is it my favorite place to read reviews and see guest photos of destinations they will have special rates sometimes that you can only get by booking through them. Even if the link appears to take you directly to the hotels booking site it is not the same. It is coded different and you can get way better deals. Definitely check here too.

On Hotwire it is honestly not hard to find out the secret hotel before booking. Many times the listing will be identical to the one where it lists the hotel name. For example the star rating, location and number of reviews will all match. It is literally the same listing only with the name missing. These guys can help you find out as well:
https://www.betterbidding.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Kayak or tripadvisor is what we use. Hotwire won't tell you certain info, such as hotel, until you've already submitted your personal information.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:52 AM

Yes I've used tripadvisor, which has been really helpful with providing feedback on the quality of the hotel. I've never used them to book a flight.

I'll check out hotwire. I've never used them before.

Thank you everyone. I'll check out some of the sites. If you know of any others please share!

Old 05-01-2018, 11:02 AM

Airfare watchdog. You can setup flights you want and it will email you with deals that include the airline and what days offer the special.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
Airfare watchdog. You can setup flights you want and it will email you with deals that include the airline and what days offer the special.

Thank you!

Old 05-01-2018, 12:17 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,038,559 times
The best deals are often caught at escapehouston.com . Its exclusively for flights from Houston.

I also prefer booking packages from the airline sites or bank travel sites itself. If you are a member, you get additional miles or points. United and Amex worked well for me.

Most of these travel websites having different names , end up with the same parent company.

I used priceline initially, but seeing my recurring pattern, they creep-ed up the price of the same car rental and I end up booking from the direct car company which is way lower.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:12 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
vacationstogo and resortvacatonstogo

They specialize in short notice 90 day or less window stuff. Great deals. They do the traditional stuff too. Vacations does cruises and Resort does all the resorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel