Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 11:23 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times

Advertisements

We are debating on taking the car out on a road trip. Typical spots from NYC south, ending in Florida. Long drive!

We do it under the premise," to cut costs". The truth is, we will shop the outlets during the trip, would rather invest airfare towards the car, and I like to bring my beach kit.

But then I think about the quick flight,a new car for a rental, and the convenience of just getting there, and start relaxing on the sand sooner ,it's so tempting.

The long drive is not bad, just need to space the breaks properly, and drive only so many miles a day. My health can't tolerate too much sitting on my butt.

So, is it worth it, to bring the car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 02:04 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Only you can answer that question.

To paraphrase Stephen Wright: Everywhere is within walking distance if you have enough time.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:01 PM

3,073 posts, read 1,682,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
We are debating on taking the car out on a road trip. Typical spots from NYC south, ending in Florida. Long drive!

We do it under the premise," to cut costs". The truth is, we will shop the outlets during the trip, would rather invest airfare towards the car, and I like to bring my beach kit.

But then I think about the quick flight,a new car for a rental, and the convenience of just getting there, and start relaxing on the sand sooner ,it's so tempting.

The long drive is not bad, just need to space the breaks properly, and drive only so many miles a day. My health can't tolerate too much sitting on my butt.

So, is it worth it, to bring the car?
We do road trips but our car is several years old now and I'm more comfortable renting one. Which is what we're about to do in Arizona.

Keep in mind that, in the long run, you could end up paying more for gas and lodging combined (roundtrip) than you think, especially if you rent a car.

Really, though, you have described two entirely different types of trip. A coastal, leisurely road trip where you can see much more, vs flying into a destination state. It does sound to me like, for health's sake, the second choice would be easier. And that warm sand will be good for your back.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:41 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Up to you... what's the best way to have the most free time at the desired location...

unless it's a leisurely and interesting drive, I'd fly and get on the beach asap.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:20 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
My favorite form of travel.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:47 PM

401 posts, read 427,103 times
It depends....this from a person who has been to all 50 states....everything west of the Mississippi River we fly to and rent a car, everything else we drove to. But we just got back from a trip where we drove from Philadelphia to Phoenix stayed for 2 months and drove back....5 days going out 4 days coming back....all long days of 12 hours of driving..... On our trips out west we would fly to say Denver and put 3000 miles on a rental visiting the adjacent states. The USA is an absolutely beautiful country get out and explore the west is amazing.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I loathe flying anymore. So, even if it cost more, I'd opt for the road trip. Take my time, shop, enjoy myself, enjoy having my own ride and the control over every aspect of my trip. Let alone, being stuck in a chamber with sick people. Or babies crying. Etc., etc.

I swear, you lose a day when you fly, then I lose another day getting over the day I had to fly. I'd much rather drive or even take the train instead - even if it costs more.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:26 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
What better way to see the country up close and experience different lifestyles, scenery, food. You have complete control where you want to go, stop or eat. And best of all you're with people you like.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:10 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
What better way to see the country up close and experience different lifestyles, scenery, food. You have complete control where you want to go, stop or eat. And best of all you're with people you like.
Oh, if that were only true at times.....LOL.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:09 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
If you consider depreciation, it's cheaper to fly with an advance purchase ticket than it is to drive your car. Me? I rent if I have a long drive. I'd only drive my own car if I were going to be there for at least a couple of weeks where the car rental cost starts adding up.

I've driven from New England to the Carolinas a couple of times in my own car. Raleigh-Durham once from Danbury, CT a bajillion years ago. Vermont to Sugar & Beech Mtn NC more recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel