Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 10:56 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times

Advertisements

Just decided to go to Ireland at the end of August. Will have 6 full days to travel around via rental car.

What are your favorite or do not miss places/experiences in Ireland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 11:05 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,739,463 times
If you're flying into Dublin, don't pick up your rental car until you leave the city. If you're into history , check put the Rock of Cashel, in Tipperary. If you're into farm--to-table check out the Ballymaloe House near Cork. Hard to give advice without knowing what your interests and budget are.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:33 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,606,099 times
Having been many times, unquestionably for me the most beautiful parts are the coastal areas around Cork & Kerry. Driving from Killarney to Trallee to Dingle peninsula & then heading south... every 20 minutes drive another nice vista. Also Glendalough in Wicklow is worth a visit if near Dublin.

Biggest tip: Don't spend 6 days driving. Spend some downtime days perhaps near Dingle or Cork or Kinsale or whatever looks good at the time, lots of BnBs around to book at last minute, tho' August may be tight. You should spend 2 days in 1 place to walk around & hike & visit the pubs etc... & fight the inclination to "see everything" or kiss the Blarney Stone.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:56 AM

130,128 posts, read 12,082,762 times
I love the Beara peninsula, it is not so touristy as some parts can get, but beautiful & some remote villages. Look at Allihies or Eyeries, but not sure if 6 days will be long enough to explore properly.

Allihies & Eyeries - Explore West Cork

Old 07-11-2018, 12:47 PM

16,664 posts, read 17,426,834 times
I saw this years ago, seems you need tickets now.

https://www.tcd.ie/visitors/book-of-kells/

Old 07-11-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
If you're flying into Dublin, don't pick up your rental car until you leave the city. If you're into history , check put the Rock of Cashel, in Tipperary. If you're into farm--to-table check out the Ballymaloe House near Cork. Hard to give advice without knowing what your interests and budget are.
We’re flying into Shannon not Dublin. Might take a day and drive over to Dublin or go north to Belfast. Mostly interested historic sights and natural beauty. Perhaps a museum or two if worthwhile. Budget isn’t an issue.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:34 PM

986 posts, read 1,016,703 times
Honestly my two biggest pieces of advice for someone flying into Shannon are: (a) skip Dublin and Belfast and (b) focus instead on a small area of west Ireland. My wife and I spent 6 wonderful days just in County Clare and County Kerry, with a stop at the amazing Rock of Cashel in between. Irish roads are narrow and winding, and a distance of 20 miles does not take 20 minutes to drive as it might on an American highway. A few favorites:

Killarney National Park
Dingle Peninsula
Cliffs of Moher
Burren

Enjoy!

Old 07-11-2018, 01:39 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,606,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Honestly my two biggest pieces of advice for someone flying into Shannon are: (a) skip Dublin and Belfast and (b) focus instead on a small area of west Ireland. My wife and I spent 6 wonderful days just in County Clare and County Kerry, with a stop at the amazing Rock of Cashel in between. Irish roads are narrow and winding, and a distance of 20 miles does not take 20 minutes to drive as it might on an American highway.
Amen.... Listen to the man!!!!

Old 07-11-2018, 02:19 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Quote:
Honestly my two biggest pieces of advice for someone flying into Shannon are: (a) skip Dublin and Belfast and (b) focus instead on a small area of west Ireland. My wife and I spent 6 wonderful days just in County Clare and County Kerry, with a stop at the amazing Rock of Cashel in between. Irish roads are narrow and winding, and a distance of 20 miles does not take 20 minutes to drive as it might on an American highway. A few favorites:

Killarney National Park
Dingle Peninsula
Cliffs of Moher
Burren

Enjoy!
If budget is no problem then keep this trip to what you can realistically see and enjoy in 6 days. Save other parts of Ireland for another visit and don't try to squeeze so much in on a single trip that you are ticking things off a checklist rather than enjoying the beauty of a country that operates at a different pace.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:

Killarney National Park
Dingle Peninsula
Cliffs of Moher
Burren

Enjoy!
This is what we heard from a couple friends and why we chose to fly into Shannon. Will do some research on your suggestions. They sound like the kind of things we’d enjoy.

Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel