Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 03:43 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,559 times

Advertisements

I'm almost 70 years old. I want to drive to San Diego, from Albuquerque, and then back again. In fact, my whole trip is planned out. But now I'm getting a little scared -- I'm beginning to think that it may be unsafe for me to do this trip alone.

I'll be spending the night in Williams, AZ, going and coming. Perhaps a night or two in Sedona. I'd like to take The Sunrise Tour at The Grand Canyon (I did that before, about 12 years ago). I'll be staying in a nice hotel in San Diego. I have everything I need in case my car breaks down. But I'll be alone. And 'in this day and age' and at my age, I'm beginning to wonder if this trip is a smart thing to do.

Any opinions and/or suggestions?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 04:46 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I want to drive to San Diego, from Albuquerque, and then back again.
Safety aside it'll be a more enjoyable trip with someone.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:59 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
You'll be fine. After I was 75, I went around the world twice, basically backpacking the whole way. When I was nearly 70, I went on a two week trip going to a minor league baseball game every night, sleeping in my old beater Camry.

Just be patient, and be prepared to blow off some agenda item that you just don't feel like doing. It's not that long a trip, but mostly pretty long boring stretches.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:48 AM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Turn up the radio & you'll be fine.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:53 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
If you're going to do the sunrise tour at the GC, I suggest trying to stay in Tayusan unless you're really good with VERY early morning drives. It's a straight shot from Williams to the GC (like really, really straight) but it's quite a boring drive, and would certainly put me to sleep at 'oh-dark-thirty'. (I just did the sunset tour two months ago and stayed in Williams. I didn't particularly enjoy that drive.)

Old 07-10-2018, 07:12 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
If you want to get your kicks, take Route 66!

You'll be fine.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:45 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
But now I'm getting a little scared -- I'm beginning to think that it may be unsafe for me to do this trip alone.
As long as you're healthy and fit for driving, you'll be fine. You don't have to worry about thieves or crime or anything, the interstate is well maintained and safe. Sedona of course is an upscale town.
I say "Go For It".

Old 07-10-2018, 11:04 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
I'm almost 70 years old. I want to drive to San Diego, from Albuquerque, and then back again. In fact, my whole trip is planned out. But now I'm getting a little scared -- I'm beginning to think that it may be unsafe for me to do this trip alone.

I'll be spending the night in Williams, AZ, going and coming. Perhaps a night or two in Sedona. I'd like to take The Sunrise Tour at The Grand Canyon (I did that before, about 12 years ago). I'll be staying in a nice hotel in San Diego. I have everything I need in case my car breaks down. But I'll be alone. And 'in this day and age' and at my age, I'm beginning to wonder if this trip is a smart thing to do.

Thanks.
Why do you feel this way, certain health issues we need to advise you on (to the extent that we can)?
Otherwise the trip is easy and safe and I don't see your age as an obstacle if no health issues, take a cell phone, take some extra water, you will be OK.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:48 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:

Thanks.
The Grand Canyon, Williams and Sedona are all pretty much in the same area (Flagstaff).

From there, will you head south to Phoenix and over to San Diego?

It wouldn't make sense to go west of Williams on I-40 unless you were going to cross the Mojave Desert and go down through Riverside/San Bernardino to get to San Diego...?

I'm a single female and I travel quite a bit too.

If you want my best advice:

-- Plot your trip out !
-- DO NOT stop at any public rest areas! They are very dangerous these days, especially for single female and elderly travelers!
-- Go to a corporate truck stop (Pilot, Flying J, Loves, etc) that is well lit and full of people.
-- Have plenty of water and a backup cell phone charger.
-- Let a close friend or relative know your itinerary and make sure to check in with them by calling every so often.
-- Print a copy of your itinerary for your friend/relative with the names and places you will be staying as you travel.
-- MOST IMPORTANTLY! *** When you need to stop, always carefully observe your surroundings! Know where you parked. Take a minute or two to watch the people coming and going. If something doesn't "feel" right, then follow your gut instinct! ***

Old 07-10-2018, 11:51 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
If you want to get your kicks, take Route 66!

You'll be fine.
Not advisable! Parts of it can get very remote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel