Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 641 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Plano in the Dallas area at the end of October. We will be driving a Honda Pilot 2017 with a 5X8 fully loaded uhaul trailer on back. As this is first time we are driving such a long distance and with no experience of carrying trailer. We would like suggestions from everyone on the best and safest route to move to plano.

Based on my search, we found 3 separate routes as mentioned below:

1. Lynnwood> idaho> wyoming > colorado> Dallas - Total 2110 Miles

2. Lynnwood> idaho> wyoming > kansas > Oklahama > Dallas - Total 2200 Miles

3. Lynnwood> idaho> utah > New Mexico > Dallas - Total 2150 miles

From the above 3 routes, any advice on the safest/flattest route? We want to make the trip in 3-4 days (3 stops at night) with arrival on day 4.

Also, can anyone suggest best and safest city to stay at nights.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 12:20 PM

34,093 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocationtoplano View Post
From the above 3 routes, any advice on the safest/flattest route?
Also, can anyone suggest best and safest city to stay at nights.
Safest route is most direct vs mountain inclines.
Safest places to stay are chain motels 20 or so miles outside a city.
Don't rush it.

As to your google map them and add a link LINK

Old 08-23-2018, 01:15 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,519,293 times
Is cross country road travel as dangerous as this thread implies?

Even if you have to stop in some chain motel in downtown Podunk Wyoming, is there a real chance that you'll find your car gone when you wake up next morning? Or if not, that you'll be waylaid by ruffians on the road?

I find the general anxiety level in some of these travel threads troubling.

Old 08-23-2018, 03:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
BTDT many times from Vancouver, WA to San Antonio and Dallas. (and many times to Denver)

Least mtns, likely south on I-5 to bakersfield / diagonal to I-10

But.. shortest = I-84 to I-80 to Laramie then 287 to Ft Collins, 25 to Denver, east on I 70, south to Dallas. That is the route I usually take, (being cognizant of WY / UT weather) usually fine, can be terrible (wind and ice and snow).

NEVER have had an issue on Cross country trips ... Motorcycle - moving truck, semi truck, RV, Bicycle, hitch-hiking...

I like the idea of staying 20 -30 miles outside a city. I overnight in Hot Springs!!! (but I much prefer to drive at night, so I hit the Hot Springs in the AM, then take a nap and back on the road.) Last trip to Dallas I only overnighted at friends in Ft Collins, CO (driving a rental truck for friends)

Old 08-23-2018, 03:37 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,522,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post

There have been many studies that show that a large percentage of people that have not left their own state, have only traveled to adjacent states, have not traveled overseas or even have a passport.

The fear of the unknown perhaps?

Old 08-23-2018, 03:53 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
What are your safety concerns? Is it that your vehicle breaking down with the uhaul? Look at your car manual and make sure it can handle the weight. If you are nervous or borderline than get a cheapo transmission cooler, that's what usually gives - transmission overheating. Stay on the interstates, if huge tractor trailers can handle these routes, your car can.

Best safest city to stop in. Again I don't understand that. Stop when you are tired and have driven enough. Every city has bad and good areas. Bad areas are usually near downtown so just look for rural or suburban locations off the highway.

Otherwise open your cell phone, look at your google directions, and plot the course - and off you go.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:00 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
Quote:

Even if you have to stop in some chain motel in downtown Podunk Wyoming, is there a real chance that you'll find your car gone when you wake up next morning? Or if not, that you'll be waylaid by ruffians on the road?

No it isn't, and yes these threads are frequent. But it's the internet so that's expected. You should see the thread that come out at winter time "can I travel from X to Y", it's like, my god man you aren't traversing the arctic with Admiral Peary. Tens of thousands make the cross country route daily every day, regardless of weather. Get in your car, look at weather reports, punch out the route on google, and just drive.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:46 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,927,255 times
Quote:

It's not troubling, it's peculiar. It would be troubling if there were some basis for the fear.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:28 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,062,612 times
Of the three routes, I would take #2. Mainly because I feel traffic in Salt Lake is a nightmare and I avoid it at all costs and if you hit Denver traffic at the wrong time you won't be happy either, #2 lets you skirt both metro areas. Keep an eye on the weather, winter comes early in Wyoming and high altitude area some years.

Lynnwood to Twin Falls stay at La Quinta, it's great and inexpensive. approx 9.5hrs
Twin Falls to Cheyenne. approx 9 hours
Cheyenne to Salina, KS. approx 7.25 hours
Salina to Dallas. approx 6.5 hours

Old 08-23-2018, 05:49 PM

297 posts, read 167,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
What are your safety concerns? Is it that your vehicle breaking down with the uhaul? Look at your car manual and make sure it can handle the weight. If you are nervous or borderline than get a cheapo transmission cooler, that's what usually gives - transmission overheating. Stay on the interstates, if huge tractor trailers can handle these routes, your car can.
Yup... this... If your tranny gives, then you're stuck somewhere halfway between the middle of nowhere and the edge of infinity.

Driving with a trailer has a bit of a learning curve but nothing too big. You aren't pulling anything too big so the only concern should be the weight. And of course, stick to the right lane. Personally, I'd drive at night. Less cars, less issues. Keep a small cooler with drinks and snacks handy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel