Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 07:58 AM

14,545 posts, read 20,821,542 times

Advertisements

https://travel-made-simple.com/carry-on-size-chart/

Who has traveled on the most different airlines and what size carry on luggage do you have?

If we try to have the maximum size for all airlines we'd use the shortest sizes on the three sizes and weight.
That leave us with 11 pound limit though most are higher. In fact we traveled on an airline recently that had a weight limit of 10 pounds and none of the 170 listed have 10 pound limits.

Two countries have a maximum length at 17 inches.
A couple have 11 inches on another side and some have 7 inches for the other side.
17 x 11 x 7 gets us on all airlines. Small and it would not even require an over head bin and could fit under the seat.

Anyone had the check in agent measure your carry on luggage and stick to the precise limits in inches and weight?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 08:48 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,976,719 times
Some have an open rectangle frame they use, made to their specifications.

...if your bag fits inside it's ok, if not, you are out of luck.

Others might measure but I've not seen it done.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:50 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,115,836 times
I don't know that I have flown on the most airlines, but I have flown over 15 different major carriers, plus a bunch of minor ones.

My carry-on measures 22"x8"x14" (Red Oxx Air Boss). I have never had anybody refuse boarding to me, measure it, or weight it. In fact, I have only seen those measuring devices at the boarding gate used once or twice, and it was when people were trying to bring on egregiously oversized luggage.

As my luggage is soft sided, and not on wheels, I may conceivably benefit by the perception that it is smaller than the rollaboards used by most.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:55 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,241,503 times
I've flown maybe 15-20 airlines in the TSA-era, and nobody ever checked. Mine is biggish soft-sided, and just got a glance

Old 10-08-2018, 09:00 AM

10,386 posts, read 8,064,527 times
I've had my carryon weighed on some international flights, and have also had to put it in the sizer to show it fits. No one's ever taken a tape measure to any of my carryons, though. (I own more than one, and when size or weight is going to be critical I used a non-wheeled soft-sided one.)

Old 10-08-2018, 11:00 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,351,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I don't know that I have flown on the most airlines, but I have flown over 15 different major carriers, plus a bunch of minor ones.

My carry-on measures 22"x8"x14" (Red Oxx Air Boss). I have never had anybody refuse boarding to me, measure it, or weight it. In fact, I have only seen those measuring devices at the boarding gate used once or twice, and it was when people were trying to bring on egregiously oversized luggage.

As my luggage is soft sided, and not on wheels, I may conceivably benefit by the perception that it is smaller than the rollaboards used by most.
Second the Air Boss. I've travelled everywhere and never had it questioned, even when loaded up to close to 40+lbs. Soft bags are stealthy. Europe, Asia, Mid-East and Latin America. All with no issues. Only Shanghai made me check it at main check-in, once on the way to Manila, but I think the girl was just looking for something to do.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:20 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,154,335 times
Most foreign airlines and domestic airlines which fly international routes (except Canada) allow 1-2 free checked luggage with 50-lb maximum weight limit. Unless you go on a really long trip, otherwise you don't need to carry another big suitcase on board.

With just carry on luggage will not make you faster. Anyway you still need to pass through Immigration. Usually by that time your checked luggage will have already been on the belt.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:48 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,351,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Most foreign airlines and domestic airlines which fly international routes (except Canada) allow 1-2 free checked luggage with 50-lb maximum weight limit. Unless you go on a really long trip, otherwise you don't need to carry another big suitcase on board.

With just carry on luggage will not make you faster. Anyway you still need to pass through Immigration. Usually by that time your checked luggage will have already been on the belt.
Carry on only makes you infinitely faster. Not once has my bag ever been waiting when I've checked it after immigration. Especially in this age of Global Entry and other programs, the less you part with your property, the fewer problems you'll have.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:55 PM

5,287 posts, read 6,231,702 times
I have been flying all my life......I am now 58 and I have never ever seen carry on luggage get questioned for size at the ticket desk.

Now with that being said I have seen numerous times where someone brings an oversized piece of luggage on board only to have been offered by the attendants to have it tagged and put below.

Since the airlines started charging for baggage the overheads are getting full but many know how to game that by getting on the plane at the end of the boarding process and there is a great chance you will be asked to have stowed.

Most of the domestic flights I take I see the gate personnel asking up front before boarding to offer to stow carry-on's as they anticipate full overheads.

Internationally I have seen Ryan Air gate personnel go around to everyone and ask them to check their bags.......which they are doing for free.

I cringe when I see the size of the baggage and obvious weight of the bags when they try to put them in the overhead, but to each their own.

I just flew into Fort Lauderdale yesterday from Barcelona and standing in line at immigration I see several people with carry on's that had tags around the handle that said "acceptable carry on". I have never seen that before in my life and I was wondering what airline had finally come to their senses.

I have a friend who works for an airline and we always joke that the TSA should make their openings at their X-ray machine the max size for the carry on....................she said that would create a mass riot, and put a hardship back at the ticket counter for the personnel there.

That's where the buck stops........the ticket counter can't pay attention to what your carry on looks like and if you can make it to the gate they will check it for free these days.

Two other notes, as I get older I like checking my bag in......that long walk for me to get through some of the airports immigration seems like a half a mile and I have learned traveling through Europe for several weeks to limit my clothes and have been lucky enough to find laundromats, and yes I bring my pods and dryer sheets. A company named Revolution is putting outdoor units at gas stations and supermarkets throughout Europe.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 10-08-2018 at 02:06 PM..

Old 10-08-2018, 02:13 PM

62,138 posts, read 88,017,025 times
Often when the plane is really full (and they are almost always sold out) they will ask passengers with the biggest carry on luggage to check it in, free. Happened to me few times and I was not a happy camper to check in stuff I selected to carry in. So, I wouldn't maximize my carry in luggage.
First class or business probably don't have to worry, just premium coach and coach.

And yes, more and more airlines weight your carry on luggage and question the size. Some put a carry on tag on the handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel