Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 04:41 PM

27 posts, read 76,482 times

Advertisements

Hello. I just returned to the US from Europe (London and Paris) and feeling very depressed. I was only there a week, and miss it terribly. I feel like I don't belong in the US, want to move. I'm probably not the only one who's going through this. I feel bored over here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 04:44 PM

61,813 posts, read 87,269,132 times
Quite funny statement... Because on your previous thread you wrote a long rant about how you hate Paris...

Do you travel often? Speak languages?
Why are you so bored back home? No friends or interesting hobbies?

Old 10-28-2018, 06:08 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,273,537 times
First of all, how long have you been back? Jet lag may be clouding your thinking. General rule: it takes a day to recover from every time zone you crossed.

Second- it's pretty normal to feel let down after a good vacation: no bosses, no sitting through endless PowerPoint presentations, doing what YOU want to do on your schedule, maybe splurging on better food and drink... and then you're Back to Reality. I always reminded myself that Reality pays for the travel.

Finally- being a tourist somewhere and working there are two different things. Did you look at property prices and rentals in London and Paris? They're nuts- I don't know how the average person lives, except that many have long commutes and/or tiny places (just as in HCOL areas in the US). Do some research on what it actually costs to live in these areas (hey- there's this great resource called City-data! ;-) ). It may be an eye-opener.

I worked for the company that built the Gherkin in London and that was my base on business trips there. It was cool, but I never wanted to move there, or to Zurich where we had our HQ- just too darn expensive to live there.

Is there any way you can join a company that does business in Europe so you can just visit a lot? Worked for me!

Old 10-28-2018, 06:24 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,587,400 times
A week long trip gives you a distorted view of life somewhere, once the newness of living overseas wears off you'll find you're just as bored unless you attack the underlying problem of your dissatisfaction with life.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:09 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,597,647 times
I've traveled all over the world many times and I was always happy to be back home.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:12 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,965,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
A week long trip gives you a distorted view of life somewhere, once the newness of living overseas wears off you'll find you're just as bored unless you attack the underlying problem of your dissatisfaction with life.
I saw this when I lived in Montana. People took a vacation, fell in love, and moved. Their problems followed them and they realized even in Montana people have problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlife9553 View Post
Hello. I just returned to the US from Europe (London and Paris) and feeling very depressed. I was only there a week, and miss it terribly. I feel like I don't belong in the US, want to move. I'm probably not the only one who's going through this. I feel bored over here.
The depression will wear off. Give it a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've traveled all over the world many times and I was always happy to be back home.
Same here!

Old 10-28-2018, 09:21 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,537,867 times
Time to find some hobbies you enjoy at home or where you live. And maybe look at what else you maybe don't like about your life and can change? New job? New city? New friends?

Old 10-29-2018, 02:30 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,216,655 times
I find that my mind-body clock works pretty well. If I have a 3-week ticket, I'm ready to go home after three weeks. Traveling open-ended, I reach burn-out after 7 months, and I'm ready to call someplace 'home'.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:10 AM

23,235 posts, read 29,075,721 times
Thomas Jefferson nailed it: Travel makes you more wise and less happy. No, not the traveling itself, but the aftermath.

There's a formula for recovering from travel trips. Gone 1 week, it'll take 3 weeks to fully recover. All in multiples of 3.

I find it's helpful to have a bad experience on your trip very last part of the day you're leaving, particularly if your trip was extremely enjoyable/memorable. That happened to me on a highly enjoyable, memorable trip to Ecuador, I was mugged the last night before departure. What a nice "present" to end the trip and how I looked forward to returning home. Yes, I recovered, and a year later I returned to Ecuador for more "punishment".

There's times I went on a foreign trip and it was such a beautiful trip I actually prayed the plane would crash before landing in the U.S. I simply didn't want to return to the daily realities of life!

Old 10-29-2018, 05:16 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,273,537 times
Another thought on this: you had to turn around and go home just about the time you were over jet lag from the trip TO Europe, only to scramble up your body clock again coming home. I know that's how it has to be sometimes- limits on the number of vacation days in the US and on travel budgets don't allow for the luxury of long trips. (DH and I once flew to Scotland from Newark, then our home airport, on a Thursday night and came home the following Monday. Not recommended.)

One favorite travel quote: "Most travel is best of all in the anticipation or the remembering; the reality has more to do with losing your luggage.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel