Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 11:15 AM

286 posts, read 383,455 times

Advertisements

Long story short wife is from Nigeria, me and her booked a flight to her home country from DFW USA, trip is April 6th 2020 to apr 20 2020, here is the problem. As of last night, If I've researched correctly there are no incoming flights from Europe allowed into the US. There is my problem, my Flight is with Lufthansa, and my layover is in Frankfurt Germany going to Nigeria and coming back, that would theoretically mean my return flight from Germany (even though the destination is and was Nigeria and my Layover is only a few hours in Germany) wouldn't be allowed into the US. Lufthansa is overloaded with calls and other than the website, the app is crashed. They do seem to allow me to rebook the flight online, my question therein lies whether or not you guys think I should risk it and go, or postpone the whole trip for a few months atleast, or flat out cancel the trip for the foreseeable future. Thank you guys, I am looking for opinions, what would you guys do if you were me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 12:42 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,524,019 times
As this is a fluid situation and things can change at a moments notice (think full closure/being stranded in another country), postpone the trip. But its something only you can decide.

Old 03-12-2020, 12:46 PM

130,511 posts, read 12,138,084 times
I would wait & see what the airline says, if you can reschedule without any fees. Send them an email. It might take a few days to get an answer. We also have a trip booked in May, ( to Ireland & UK) & will wait & see what the situation is, 30 days out.

Old 03-12-2020, 01:38 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,999,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringamac92 View Post
Long story short wife is from Nigeria, me and her booked a flight to her home country from DFW USA, trip is April 6th 2020 to apr 20 2020, here is the problem. As of last night, If I've researched correctly there are no incoming flights from Europe allowed into the US. There is my problem, my Flight is with Lufthansa, and my layover is in Frankfurt Germany going to Nigeria and coming back, that would theoretically mean my return flight from Germany (even though the destination is and was Nigeria and my Layover is only a few hours in Germany) wouldn't be allowed into the US. Lufthansa is overloaded with calls and other than the website, the app is crashed. They do seem to allow me to rebook the flight online, my question therein lies whether or not you guys think I should risk it and go, or postpone the whole trip for a few months atleast, or flat out cancel the trip for the foreseeable future. Thank you guys, I am looking for opinions, what would you guys do if you were me?
Postpone the trip. This is no time to be traveling internationally. The situation is changing by the day, and you run the real risk of being stuck over there.

Old 03-12-2020, 01:43 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,775,561 times
I would cancel it. Even UK has problem. One new case from Cypress from a person was infected who came from London/UK. Do not travel unnecessarily.

Old 03-12-2020, 01:47 PM

12,888 posts, read 22,057,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
As this is a fluid situation and things can change at a moments notice (think full closure/being stranded in another country), postpone the trip. But its something only you can decide.
I tend to agree with this. Too many moving parts to give to a solid answer on 3/12 for a trip almost a month away given how fast everything is evolving. I'd advise postponing.

If you really want to try and make it work, there may be some options. First, did you book directly through Lufthansa? Or is this a codeshare booked through United? You may have better luck getting through to United (though they're all a mess right now) if it's the latter.

Regardless of who you booked with, see if you can use the Star Alliance to your advantage. Ethiopian Airlines is a Star Alliance member along with Lufthansa and United. They fly to Houston, Chicago, NYC (JFK and EWR) and DC. They offer connections to Nigeria. Egypt Air is another Star Alliance carrier that flies to both the U.S. (NYC, LA, DC) and Nigeria via their hub in Cairo. Rebooking on either airline allows you to avoid Europe. Turkish would have been another good one, but it looks like they've suspended Nigeria flights.

Outside of Star Alliance, you could cancel and rebook on British Airways or Emirates which would give you a one-stop flight to Nigeria through either London Heathrow or Dubai - thus avoiding the ban.

Note: There's a good chance if you do rebook, things could change drastically in a matter of days and force you to rebook again (or cancel). So postponing is likely the best bet.

Old 03-12-2020, 01:48 PM

3,769 posts, read 4,109,568 times
I also have family over there and travel frequently. To echo the other responses above, I would postpone. The safety of your family is priority and this is not time to be taking chances.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:25 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,906,264 times
Quote:
As of last night, If I've researched correctly there are no incoming flights from Europe allowed into the US.
Which was wrong - because the pres lied on TV. Until mid April, noone WITHOUT a US Passport can arrive in the US from continental Europe. You two would have no problem right now.

However things change.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:36 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,006,908 times
Quote:
OP, here's the question I ask when trying to decide if I should go somewhere or not: Do you HAVE to go? If you don't HAVE to go, don't go.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:19 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,744,881 times
Cancel! If you have to ask, then you already know the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel