Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 01:53 PM

409 posts, read 871,367 times

Advertisements

It's the time of the year where I start looking at vacation plans next year. One of the things I'm looking at layover times at the various airports I may be flying through. One of those airports is Baltimore/Washington Thurgood Marshall International Airport.

Planning ahead before booking a flight, I thought I would see what those who fly through that airport feels is the minimum amount of time needed for a layover there? FYI, the most likely airline I would use is Southwest airline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2022, 05:03 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I had a return Southwest flight layover last year at BWI. It was relatively easy to go between the terminals but I did have a very large gap between my flights.

Old 12-01-2022, 05:34 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
I have, honestly, never met a flyer who missed an onward flight due to layover time.

Old 12-01-2022, 06:24 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
...I'm looking at layover times at the various airports I may be flying through.
One of those airports is Baltimore/Washington Thurgood Marshall International Airport.
... (what is) the minimum amount of time needed for a layover there?
Do you mean hanging around the airport lounges until the transfer flight is called to board?
Two stiff drinks and maybe a sandwich.

Do you mean layover as a touristy night (or more) and catch a later flight?
Start with the schedules of the several rail line choices to B'more or DC.
If you have the $$ arrange for sedan service direct to the lobby.

Old 12-01-2022, 02:34 PM

409 posts, read 871,367 times
I mean how much time should I have between the first flight landing and the second flight taking off. I've seen everything from 55 minutes to 4 hours and some change. I personally think 55 minutes is cutting it pretty close, but 4 hours seems rather excessive.

Old 12-01-2022, 02:59 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
I would go to the airport's website and find that out. Airports typically would tell you the minimum time required to transit at that location. Each airport is different due to size, volume, whether you're transiting during peak hours or not, etc. BWI is a smaller airport so the air traffic shouldn't be so bad.

Having said that, after missing my overseas onward flight at JFK due to FAA traffic control delay (despite having 2.5 hours transit time), I will no longer transit with anything less than 3 hours transit time.

Old 12-01-2022, 03:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
I mean how much time should I have between the first flight landing and the second flight taking off. I've seen everything from 55 minutes to 4 hours and some change. I personally think 55 minutes is cutting it pretty close, but 4 hours seems rather excessive.
missing information (which is pertinent)
#1, Are you arriving as an international passenger? (SWA arrives BWI from Caribbean locations, then you need to clear immigration and recheck luggage)
#2, Is your connection SWA>SWA or are you switching carriers in BWI?
#3, if SWA (or any continuing connection) your available flights are within the specified connection time.
#4, Are you on a late flight (end of day can accrue delayed flights) but... your carrier will make your connection valid.

SWA allows 45 min connections in BWI. An hour should be plenty if you are OCD.

remember...
Arrivals are 'arrive at gate', not disembarking time of all passengers. (I've seen over (10) wheel chair passengers who must be removed before others can de-plane.)
Doors close 10 - 20 min before departure.

That's another option if you are concerned. Book a wheelchair requirement.

Old 12-01-2022, 05:36 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
I mean how much time should I have between the first flight landing and the second flight taking off.
I've seen everything from 55 minutes to 4 hours and some change.
How far is your gate from that lounge? So... maybe 55min PLUS the walk/gate time.

Old 12-01-2022, 07:41 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,660 times
In the morning most flights are not delayed. The later, the higher the chance. I had one time, the doors where closed, and they opened for me and 1 other person. I got a massage on the phone the plane would wait. I think it was Dulles.

a hour is sufficient I think.

Old 12-01-2022, 09:42 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
BWI is an easy airport to navigate. Southwest flies into Concourses A and B and also a portion of C. All three of them are connected airside so you won't have to go through security again. At a normal walking pace, I would estimate that it would take about 10-12 minutes between the two farthest gates. There are moving sidewalks within Concourses A and B, and also for about half the distance down the corridor between B and C.

Allowing 10 minutes to deplane (this, of course, can vary according to where you sit, how many wheelchairs are deplaning, etc.), and requiring to be at your connecting gate 10 minutes before departure, if your first flight is on time, you could make it with a scheduled connection of 30 minutes. Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable with anything less than an hour, because I like to leave a cushion for delays.

Incidentally, there is a good selection of restaurants at BWI, including fast-food as well as several sit-down restaurants. So if you have enough time built into your schedule, you won't go hungry. Most (though not all) of the fast food is in a row between Concourses A and B, and fronting the row is a huge glass wall, from which you can watch the planes take off and land. All in all, I think it's one of the better airports out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel