Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 12:50 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times

Advertisements

In Spanish, we have this great term "Malecon" to indicate the paved or wooden walking path/sidewalk along the beach.

In English, all we have is "boardwalk" and most of these are paved, not wood.

So when you travel, what is this sidewalk/path referred to?

In SoCal, we often called it "the strand" but I don't know if that's specific to here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2023, 05:54 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,559,570 times
In Brazil they call it calcadao

My favorite malecon is the one in Havana.

Old 10-22-2023, 09:08 AM

12,045 posts, read 8,429,550 times
The malecon in Mexico where I vacation in the winter isn't very long as the town is small. But it's busy and pleasant. There are palms and other tropical plants, benches, small restaurants and a quiet surf. Sometimes there are strolling vendors and musicians.

When the town is having one of its frequent fiestas often there are traveling artists building sand sculptures. In the evening there are often cultural events and exhibitions - Mayan rituals, flamenco dancers, bands, school children performing, local vendors of snacks and crafts.

Across the street is a shaded park. I have met and had interesting conversations there with people both local and from all around the world.

There are two docks, one is commercial and the other is for fishing and where the local fishermen leave and return each day. It's fun to watch them come home and sort the day's catch which they also prepare for market on the beach to the delight of pelicans and various seabirds. They will sell you a fresh piece right there if you want.

The mamas and the children come down to the dock to greet them usually with a basket of food and the families eat and swim before they go home.

Old 10-22-2023, 12:16 PM

Nice. But what is the English term for "malecon" besides boardwalk which is not usually wood anyway.

Old 10-23-2023, 04:52 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,381,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
The malecon in Mexico where I vacation in the winter isn't very long as the town is small. But it's busy and pleasant. There are palms and other tropical plants, benches, small restaurants and a quiet surf. Sometimes there are strolling vendors and musicians.

When the town is having one of its frequent fiestas often there are traveling artists building sand sculptures. In the evening there are often cultural events and exhibitions - Mayan rituals, flamenco dancers, bands, school children performing, local vendors of snacks and crafts.

Across the street is a shaded park. I have met and had interesting conversations there with people both local and from all around the world.

There are two docks, one is commercial and the other is for fishing and where the local fishermen leave and return each day. It's fun to watch them come home and sort the day's catch which they also prepare for market on the beach to the delight of pelicans and various seabirds. They will sell you a fresh piece right there if you want.

The mamas and the children come down to the dock to greet them usually with a basket of food and the families eat and swim before they go home.
That looks like Mahahual, on the Caribbean coast of Quintana Roo, about 4 hours south by bus from Cancun.

Old 10-23-2023, 05:41 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
At Coney Island (Brooklyn, NY) and Atlantic City (NJ), the term boardwalk is used.

I think certain parts of the world they use the word promenade.

Old 10-23-2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
At Coney Island (Brooklyn, NY) and Atlantic City (NJ), the term boardwalk is used.

Thanks, I've heard that one. I guess there is no catch-all term for it in the U.S. Do they call it a boardwalk even if it is not wood?

Maybe I'll start calling it the beach sidewalk, lol.

Old 10-23-2023, 03:22 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,559,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post

Correct

Old 10-23-2023, 04:20 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Thanks, I've heard that one. I guess there is no catch-all term for it in the U.S. Do they call it a boardwalk even if it is not wood?

Maybe I'll start calling it the beach sidewalk, lol.
Virginia Beach, VA, calls their paved path a boardwalk. Cape May, NJ, uses promenade.

Old 10-24-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Virginia Beach, VA, calls their paved path a boardwalk. Cape May, NJ, uses promenade.
Huh, I guess it's regional. People certainly DO promenade! Lots of fun to people watch: skateboards, roller skates, scooters, unicycles, all manner of bicycles, low-rider and classic cars, dog-walkers, marines in formation running by. I see it all from my window!

We call it "the Strand" here at my vacation rental. (San Diego area)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel