Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Still Go To Acapulco After This Shootout?
Yes, will follow through with our plans and visit Acapulco. 2 13.33%
No, will no longer plan to visit Acapulco, at least for a while. 1 6.67%
Never had any plans to visit Acapulco. 10 66.67%
Instead of Acapulco or Mexico, will stay in the USA this year. 1 6.67%
Instead of Acapulco or Mexico, will go to another nation instead. 1 6.67%
Can’t afford to travel. 0 0%
Can afford to travel, but choose not to. 0 0%
Other, explain or comment as you wish. 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 04:10 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times

Advertisements

Would you?

Today's WaPo reports that 18 are dead in a shootout between Mexican Army and drug criminals, near tourist hotels.

Excerpts from the WaPo:

- The gun battle, near tourist hotels in the Pacific Ocean resort, was a further blow to Mexico's tourism industry, already reeling from cancellations by foreigners scared away by the swine flu epidemic.

- Gunmen battled troops from a cartel safe house, throwing hand grenades at soldiers who had surrounded them and spraying gunfire into military vehicles and nearby homes. The shooting began late on Saturday and went on until after midnight.

Meanwhile, CNN reports on the small arsenal the criminals had:

Excerpt:

- Authorities seized 36 large-caliber weapons, 13 small-caliber weapons, two grenade launchers, 13 fragmentation grenades, 3,525 rounds of various caliber ammunition, 180 charges and eight vehicles, the ministry said.

If you had tentative plans to visit Mexico, do you still plan to go there? If you're going somewhere else, tell us about it.

We've never planned on going there, would rather visit the Florida keys instead, keep our money in the USA.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 06:01 PM

543 posts, read 1,741,382 times
The only tourist area of Mexico I would consider from a safety point of view is San Miguel de Allende. Right now the drug war in Mexico is similar to Iraq but San Miguel is the "Green Zone" of the region. Just don't stray outside of it and you will be fine.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:25 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguel View Post
The only tourist area of Mexico I would consider from a safety point of view is San Miguel de Allende. Right now the drug war in Mexico is similar to Iraq but San Miguel is the "Green Zone" of the region. Just don't stray outside of it and you will be fine.
Silly over reactionists.

I don't go to the big touristy beaches like Acapulco, Cancun, and Cabo because if I'm going to go to Mexico I would like to *really* go to Mexico rather than Gringolandia. However, if I had plans to go to Acapulco, I wouldn't reconsider. I also don't have any apprehensions at all going to anywhere else in Mexico. I lived there a few months last year and while I left due to the actions of a few people, I was never once in a drug-related situation or witnessed any drug violence. And no, I wasn't in San Miguel (aka Gringolandia light).

Old 06-08-2009, 10:38 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
To tell you the truth, current drug war or not, Acapulco is like a "has been" resort. I was there about 15 years ago and even then it was showing it's age from the highs of the 50's and 60's when hollywood movie starts and rich used to hang out there.

It still has some good resorts still, but also some crime problems, problems with touts and peksy street vendors, drugs, and the ocean water is really polluted (raw sewage pipes the just flow out a few hundred feet offshore).

Now it just attracts Mexicans on vacation and some older americans that have been coming there for decades.

Edit - oh and for you single guys that go to Acapulco, one word for a place to visit - La Huerta.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:12 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
I love Mexico but hate Acapulco so I would still go to Mexico but the "real" Mexico away from resorts and places where the tourists hang around in large numbers. Same with Cancun which was probably wonderful about 100 years ago...

Old 06-09-2009, 02:00 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
I've never been to Acapulco, but we were in Los Cabos/Cabo San Lucas in the summer of 2002, and back then we didn't have any problems, people down there were very friendly and we enjoyed the 5 days we spent down there. But that was 7 years ago, things might be different now.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:46 PM

48 posts, read 182,376 times
Why would you ever have gone to Acapulco?
Polluted bay
Way too much concrete
Crowds

Old 06-10-2009, 05:08 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
I don't need to fly to Mexico. I live in eastern Washington. Mexico came to me.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:01 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I've never been to Acapulco, but we were in Los Cabos/Cabo San Lucas in the summer of 2002, and back then we didn't have any problems, people down there were very friendly and we enjoyed the 5 days we spent down there. But that was 7 years ago, things might be different now.
Back then, most border cities (outside of Nuevo Laredo) were safe, as were major business centers like Monterrey and Mexico City were generally safe.

Now many businesses are paying protection money to the cartels in order to "keep the peace".

Old 06-14-2009, 10:10 PM

366 posts, read 1,745,093 times
I too was in Acapulco about 14 years ago, but I loved it. It was, whatever holiday is in September (Independence day?). Anyway, there were more party places. The only problem I found with Acapulco was that the parties didn't start until after midnight and ran until daylight.

We even rented a car and drove to Ixtapa and spent the night there. Ixtapa was trying to become another Cancun at the time. I remember all the Palm Tree Farms along the drive and people doing their wash in the rivers at each town we drove through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel