Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 03:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times

Advertisements

I need to burn through some UA / Star Alliance airline mileage and am considering doing a 'R-t-World' (200k miles or 300k 'business-class', Benefit when checking in + 'guest lounges')

Looking for economical and convenient 'hubs' for nearby destinations.
I might rent a flat in various places, or will be trying to stay in 'guest-homes' (~$20 / night, as I have for ~ 15 yrs)

I think I will plan a 4-6 month trip starting in Nov (09?)

I'm allowed 331 days and 5 stop-overs & 'open legs' allowed (ex. can fly into Frankfurt and out of Madrid). I would like to use award travel to get to destinations I will not be able to afford again.

I've lived in Singapore, Spain, and Canada (BC) and currently in PNW.
I do want to spend considerable time in Asia, and Europe, but not sure about SA.

Any input?

Cost per day? (would like to keep under $100)

Routing / timing
I hope to go 'Micronesia > NZ > Singapore (stay for a spell and travel Malaysia / Indonesia / Thailand / Chinese New Yr) then
Singapore> Bombay> Eastern Europe (land travel throughout Europe during Spring 2010)

then depart for SA (Argentina / Brazil / Chile / Bolivia) and back to PNW in time for our nice summer.

Hubs - ? ez places, econo hubs, ''do-not-miss" - EXPENSIVE places to avoid

"trekking ventures" ? side trips not to miss

other ideas? budget - couch surfing, econo eating, travel via 'night train/bus' to save hotel expense. Discount seasons, packing for economy.
cheap ground transportation ideas.

my general thoughts... travel / sleep / eat, like the locals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel