Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 07:49 PM

23,224 posts, read 29,056,523 times

Advertisements

I was planning a trip to China/Taiwan this late Fall and was concerned about Swine Flu.

I called the Taiwan Tourism Bureau in L.A., and she says that today, when you arrive over there, they take your vital signs after you've arrived, and if your temperature is over the subscribed limit, you can be quarantined.

I talked to some Philipino's at work, and they have told me on recent trips, they do the same in the Phillipines. And there's the prospect, if your vital signs are not up to par, you can be quarantined up to 10 days in a hospital.

Wouldn't that be a fun way to spend your vacation!

I have traveled all over the world, three times in the past to China, and I've never had my vital signs taken upon arrival after a flight. This is all new to me and very scarey. More scarey than any crime reports I may have read about my destination.

So, I've canceled my plans just because of this, the fear, that it may happen to me. Hey! After a long 13-14 hour flight, you could catch something on the flight over there, and be healthy before you left.

Anyone dealt with this lately in your travels? Or anyone ever been quarantined?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 12:03 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,066,590 times
I was backpacking across Asia during the height of the swine flue scare. I got some extra attention at land borders, but there's not much difference from the usual proceedures.

Don't worry about it. "Taking Your Vital Signs" = getting scanned by a heat-sensitive camera as you walk toward Immigration Control in Taiwan. If you're burning up with fever, they might detain you and eventually quarantine you, but if you feel in good health, you're going to slip right on past. The screening process isn't much use, but the countries feel they have to do SOMETHING.

If you pick something up on the flight, there's no way they're going to detect it that quickly. If you're feeling sick, maybe you really shouldn't be travelling. Travel insurance is pretty inexpensive and can help if you're worried about the cost of having to cancel or delay your flight.

At land border crossings around Asia, I've had my temperature taken by a doctor while on a bus, and I've had to fill out a half-dozen health cards swearing that I haven't experienced any symptoms of the flu. It's pretty rare they even bother to stick a thermometer in your ear (I think it was Thailand that did it on the Malaysia-Thai border).

As a westerner, you'll get more attention because of Swine Flu coming from the Americas, but the scare is pretty much over as there are dozens of cases in every asian country now, anyway.

To help from overheating and triggering any alarms, set down your bags whenever you have to stand around and wear light clothing. Naturally, don't check any of the "yes" boxes on any health questionaires and don't tell them you just recently got back from your Mexican vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel