Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:46 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times

Advertisements

Actually, it's as if I'm getting a new one. My last (and only!) passport was issued back in 1978!!! I was 14 years old. I tried to fill out the passport application online so I could then print it out and apply in person. Guess what? My passport is so old that the number wouldn't take! Another digit was required. Finally, I just added another zero at the end, but I doubt that's going to be legitimate.

Is a 6-8 week turnaround time a reasonable expectation? I'm getting both the passport book and the passport card (as long as I'm doing this, why not?). If anyone is curious, I'm thinking about going to visit an aunt who lives in England. I've never been there, so I'm pretty excited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 08:58 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Don't know about an expired passport, but for my renewal the turn around time was 3 weeks for book and card. Actually got my old book back before the card arrived. You will still need the book for travel where a passport is required. I use the card for ID purposes. Have you ever seen TSA hunting for info on so many different drivers licenses? The passport card is one look and off you go.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:36 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
This site from the US State Dept should answer all your questions.
Frequently Asked Questions (http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/faq/faq_1741.html - broken link)

Old 01-05-2010, 06:05 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Your expired passport is too old. You need to start like it was your first time

Old 01-05-2010, 07:20 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
I previously worked for the Passport Division of the State Department.

I have no idea what the current turnaround time is. Almost certainly better than when I worked there...couldn't possibly be worse.

You do have to fill out a new application DS-11. It is only considered a renewal if your current passport is still valid.

You will be asked to submit your previous passport with your application. If you have it, no problem. Unless the PP Office loses it and you never get it back. If you don't have it you'll have to send in a form DS-64 for lost or stolen passports with your application.

As mentioned all the info is here
Passport Home

As a previous passport employee. Good luck-you may need it

Old 01-05-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I previously worked for the Passport Division of the State Department.

I have no idea what the current turnaround time is. Almost certainly better than when I worked there...couldn't possibly be worse.

You do have to fill out a new application DS-11. It is only considered a renewal if your current passport is still valid.

You will be asked to submit your previous passport with your application. If you have it, no problem. Unless the PP Office loses it and you never get it back. If you don't have it you'll have to send in a form DS-64 for lost or stolen passports with your application.

As mentioned all the info is here
Passport Home

As a previous passport employee. Good luck-you may need it
Wow..never had a problem when I first applied or with renewals but of course I didn't wait until the 11th hour..lol

Old 01-05-2010, 10:21 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Any recollection of the North American Travel Initiative?

Speaking of, Sandy...there is 0 reason to get a passport and a passport card. You're just paying more money.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Any recollection of the North American Travel Initiative?

Speaking of, Sandy...there is 0 reason to get a passport and a passport card. You're just paying more money.

Luckily already had mine when that was implemented

Old 01-05-2010, 11:19 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
Thanks, everyone, for the thoughtful replies! I may not be traveling until April, which I'm sure will be plenty of time. I'm planning to turn in the application this Saturday.

By the way, my old passport photo is awful; I had braces, and the photographer caught me laughing!

Old 01-08-2010, 07:19 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
We went to the largest local Post Office. Got the pics taken, brought the forms (filled out), took a checkbook and cash to pay......... they collected the applications daily and send them in. (we were #23 and 24 that day!)

When it was supposed to be 3 mo. turnaround ( right before the prices went up), we got ours in 2 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel