Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2010, 03:06 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone here puts a CB/has a CB in their car and uses it while on long travels?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 03:08 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Isn't that almost like asking if anyone posts on City-Data using a 300 baud modem? Are there (many) places that a CB CH9 could be heard from that a cell phone couldn't?

Old 05-15-2010, 08:00 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,774,443 times
Charles I don't understand what you're getting at.

I thought perhaps it would be a good idea to put a CB in the car for long travels so perhaps if there's a traffic jam up ahead it will be relayed back so one can prepare for it. However I was not sure if it was a common thing to do or if anyone even does it at all.

But there are times when cell phone's get out of range/go dead yet the CB continues to still work.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:19 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
But there are times when cell phone's get out of range/go dead yet the CB continues to still work.
That's what I was asking in my post. My gut feeling is very few people would have their CB radio out in place of a cell phone. Cell phone coverage is pretty good.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:30 PM

11,086 posts, read 17,532,479 times
Cell phone coverage may be pretty good, but that trucker going the opposite direction can tell you if there are any "Smokies" ahead on the CB. He doesn't know your cell phone number to call you.
My wife had one in her car when she drove 35 miles to work, mainly on interstate. When we sold the car, the CB went with it. Kind of wish we still had one!

Old 05-15-2010, 10:05 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times
Cell phones are thought of as the panacea for everything today by the young which is just plain dumb. Can't tell them that tho.........

But ask yourself what the military and police/emergency use to communicate. A radio not a cell phone! (which is also a radio but depends on to much high tech and greedy companies to work)

While the CB is well past the glory days of the past it still has a place as a valid communication device for road travel and emergency use that will work all the time.

I carry a hand held CB and a magnetic antenna to keep me informed of road conditions as well as call for help if need be on all road trips.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:35 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
CB Radios had their good points in the past yrs long before the cell phone.

So your broken down in the middle of the night on a Hwy...no traffic...today you can call 911 for help.

Decades back a CB was a heaven sent device on a similiar situation.

I was going back up to Northern Calif early Am hrs and picked up a 18 wheeler with a bad clutch/trans calling anyone for help on his CB. I was a few miles away going toward his direction and relayed info to a land CB who called his LA dispatcher (Collect) on the problem. Dispatch wanted to know how the driver was sure the clutch was bad. Drivers answer was that he had been driving 18 wheelers for over 15 yrs and knew a bad clutch/trans when he smelled or felt it. Anyway I flicked my lights and let him know as I was passing by and wished him luck.

I still have that old Cobra unit and always swear that I'm going to install it someday.

Steve

Old 05-16-2010, 11:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
I use a cb on frequent trips to Florida and while conversations and highway information isnt what it once was i keep the cb on all the time enjoying the occasional chat or interesting road advisories and having the ability to talk to just about any trucker thats in the neighborhood.
The cell phone is a different animal all together as it cant listen in on any road conversation that are happening between vehicles, it wont give you any up coming road advisories,it wont give any entertaining banter as 10 trucks roar down the highway together in the middle of the night, the cell phone just sits there doing nothing but waiting for you to run up substantial roaming charges. Problem with cell is you can only talk to some one if you know their number or they know yours which kind of eliminates any one in your immediate 2 mile circle of traffic.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:27 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
CB Radios had their good points in the past yrs long before the cell phone.

So your broken down in the middle of the night on a Hwy...no traffic...today you can call 911 for help.

Decades back a CB was a heaven sent device on a similiar situation.

I was going back up to Northern Calif early Am hrs and picked up a 18 wheeler with a bad clutch/trans calling anyone for help on his CB. I was a few miles away going toward his direction and relayed info to a land CB who called his LA dispatcher (Collect) on the problem. Dispatch wanted to know how the driver was sure the clutch was bad. Drivers answer was that he had been driving 18 wheelers for over 15 yrs and knew a bad clutch/trans when he smelled or felt it. Anyway I flicked my lights and let him know as I was passing by and wished him luck.

I still have that old Cobra unit and always swear that I'm going to install it someday.

Steve
Why bother "installing" that old Cobra?? Instead put a lighter plug on the power cord and get a good Wilson mag mount antenna then throw it on the seat/console when you travel. Cheap and dirty I know but you'll have a CB when you need one on a trip.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:01 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Why bother. Just get a GPS with traffic alert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel