Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 02:23 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
The only way she could have any kind of life outside of prison would be to change her name and try to establish a new identity. About 50 years ago there was a high profile murder in CA where a doctor and his mistress killed the doctor's wife so he wouldn't be taken to the cleaners in a divorce. The pair were convicted after three trials. The mistress, Carole Tregoff, was released after serving 8 years and went to work for a hospital in the same area in the medical records department. She changed her name after she got out. The doctor, Bernard Finch, was released after 12 years and went back to practicing medicine in another state.

Crimes like this get my goat. Cuz he's the "doc" and she's his co-hort, they can participate in murder (interesting for a doc, too, huh?) and get out in 8 years and 12 years and then march back to work. If they're relatively young, they still have a lot of life left to live and money to collect from all of his unsuspecting patients (geez, hope he's not my doc) while his wife is dead. It seems beyond comprehension.

And, I agree with CoolHand 68 (for some reason it wouldn't let me quote his post)--it's easy to be abstract and theoretical about whether someone should get released from prison after such a hideous crime, but only the family members and those who were hurt the most should get a say. It's such a life-altering event for their families-- their judgements should matter most.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:27 AM

407 posts, read 660,927 times
I find it very hypocritical that Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, who has remained LOYAL to Manson for 40 years and has been outspoken in her support for him, was released last year... But that Van Houten and Krenwinkle, who have spoken AGAINST Manson for 40 years are still in jail....

YES they were convicted of Murder and Fromme was convicted only of ATTEMPTED Murder---- But she is by far a MUCH Bigger threat to Society, and we let her go???

Old 07-16-2010, 10:39 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Convicted murderers rarely get paroled in ca which is the way it should be.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:29 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
and if california had not commuted their sentences a long time ago we would not have to deal with these kind of people right now . I think every state in the union should have the electric chair i think the needle is too quick and too good for them . Yes I agree all of them need to stay where they are and take their punishment . Charles Manson is just as crazy as he ever was .

Old 07-17-2010, 06:53 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Manson hasnt been a free man in 40 yrs. He will die in prison & hes over 70 now. The summer of 1969 in los angeles must of been something else. Watch the 2004 movie "Helter Skelter". Its 137 mins long & well worth it. I bought the DVD at the 99.9 cent store. Its a directors cut movie & a new & more accurate version of what happened. Jeremy Davies plays manson.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:29 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
"Los Angeles police officials said they hope to bring closure to the families of victims in a dozen unsolved homicides that occurred near places where the Manson family operated during its slew of murders four decades ago. Officials revealed Thursday that they have 12 open cases and that they hope audiotapes recorded in 1969 between Charles Manson follower Charles “Tex” Watson and his attorney could provide some answers.
'We are doing this for the families of these victims,' LAPD Cmdr. Andy Smith said."
New Manson murder probe could bring closure for families - latimes.com

Old 10-23-2012, 01:05 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I have mixed feelings about this one. She has earned a college degree while in prison, has been a model prisoner her entire time, never a disciplinary problem, has lived the best life she could while still in prison, has expressed great remorse and is not a danger to anyone now. The only reason she is still in prison is because of the high profile nature of the crime and Sharon Tate's father attended every single parole hearing for ALL the prisoners while he was still alive and always asked for parole to be denied. He is dead now.
My biggest caveat in granting parole is whether the person will offend again, will be a threat to society. That might seem screwed up to many of you, but I cannot see paying for them to be behind bars when they could be fellow taxpayers. I would have a harder time granting parole to multiple offender robbers, frankly. I don't think she will reoffend at all. I think mentally, she is probably a different person than the twisted soul she was under Manson's influence.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:46 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Debra Tate, the remaining surviving sister of Sharon (both parents and Sharon's other sister have died now) attends many of the parole hearings.

Van Houten had a privileged but troubled upbringing...obviously a very disturbed young woman who was apparently deeply attracted to the
Manson "family."
Tate Family Legacy LESLIE VAN HOUTEN
This is why kids join gangs. To replace the family where they are not getting the feelings of togetherness and mutual support and loyalty that people require. Charlie had a knack for spotting these kids and grabbing them up, pretending he was some sort of Jesus/guru and would care for them. Then he would isolate them as a group, experiment on them with various drugs, and break them.

My goodness, boot camp in the armed forces is meant to break people so then they can be programmed to do what you want them to do. It must have been easier for Charlie to do this, with the drugs. The human personality is a malleable thing. We often get our impressions of ourselves from the reaction of others. That's, in part, what makes for an orderly society. Charlie's followers were just kind of lost, wandering about with no purpose in life, no rudder to steer with when he found them and offered them hope - they were vulnerable. Some kids joined for a short time and left.

When someone offers you good things and appeals to your emotions you should naturally be suspicious, but some people don't have enough experience in life to know this or are just irresponsible and prefer following dreams.

I look at my own teen years and can see how someone like Charlie could have impressed a young and impressionable mind.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:20 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,916 times
I don't know what to think about it. I think over all though they all need to stay behind bars. You know what is sickening to me, is that all of them are some of the wealthiest inmates in the world. They've made tons of money off of these horrific crimes.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:28 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
I don't know what to think about it. I think over all though they all need to stay behind bars. You know what is sickening to me, is that all of them are some of the wealthiest inmates in the world. They've made tons of money off of these horrific crimes.

Well, let 'em get rich -- where are they going to spend it?

The sacks of fan mail they get is another story entirely. Looking up to someone like that is wrong on so many levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime