Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 03:45 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

Nearly one in three people will be arrested by the time they are 23, a study to be published today in Pediatrics found.

"Arrest is a pretty common experience," says Robert Brame, a criminologist at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte and principal author of the study.

Nearly 1 in 3 will be arrested by age 23
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 07:12 AM

890 posts, read 1,849,239 times
I love this line from a school professor, it actually ticked me off. In my opinion it just shows why there's a lack of personal accountability in schools, or in life, these days.

Quote:
Arrest records "follow you forever. The average teenager who steals an iPod or is arrested for possession of marijuana — why do we make that define their lives?"
WE don't make it define their lives. That person made a choice. Getting caught may have been the best thing that ever happened to them.

Now, if they stay clean after making that mistake then great for them. If they want to continue to play the victim (which is probably why they stole in the first place), then that's their choice too and will eventually pay for it.

I have a couple of friends who got arrested as teenagers and are very successful today.

Everyone makes mistakes....it's how you recover from those mistakes that matter.

Last edited by dbbd; 12-19-2011 at 07:42 AM..

Old 12-19-2011, 07:26 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
I love this line from a school professor, it actually ticked me off. In my opinion it just shows why there's a lack of personal accountability in schools, or in life, these days.

WE don't make it define their lives. That person made a choice. Getting caught may have been the best thing that ever happened to them.

Now, if they stay clean after making that mistake then great for them. If they want to continue to play the victim (which is probably why they stole in the first place), then that's their choice too and will eventually pay for it.

I have a couple of friends who got arrested as a teenager and are very successful today.

Everyone makes mistakes....it's how you recover from those mistakes that matter.
And whether you can afford a good Attorney! And what you are arrested for. All these things have an effect on anyone recovering and doing well after an arrest. imo

Old 12-19-2011, 07:41 AM

890 posts, read 1,849,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
And whether you can afford a good Attorney! And what you are arrested for. All these things have an effect on anyone recovering and doing well after an arrest. imo
I'll give you the attorney, and some of what they were arrested for. Murder, manslaughter and the like should carry more weight than stealing an iPod.

The people I know, the crimes were relatively minor.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:28 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
I'll give you the attorney, and some of what they were arrested for. Murder, manslaughter and the like should carry more weight than stealing an iPod.

The people I know, the crimes were relatively minor.
I suspect that most of the crimes that resulted in an actual arrest (as opposed to a citation) were drug-related. We Americans have yet to figure out what we want to do about the drug problem. It ought to be clear to anyone that simply filling the jails full of drug offenders is an inadequate and expensive solution. When we consider the problems that alcoholism has created for society it seems incongruous to make a huge deal out of marijuana use. Yet in many small communities in the Midwest and the South it is considered a "big deal".

Many offenders could be dealt with better inside the confines of an effective drug or alcohol treatment program than inside a prison system or jail.

I don't have all the answers on this one, but I'm convinced that there are better and more cost-effective alternatives than what we are currently doing.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:35 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Great. I have four kids, one has been arrested as a teen. I guess that makes me about average, maybe a bit below. This is one area I am glad to not be above the norm.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:31 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
For every new law created, a new crime is created, and this country has more laws than brains.

Virtually impossible to go through life w/o breaking some moronic law.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:55 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Years ago, when I did substance abuse counseling, it was funny, most of the cliemts there had bail bondsman in their phones as contacts.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:35 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Hmmmm...... guess I beat the odds.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:52 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
For every new law created, a new crime is created, and this country has more laws than brains.

Virtually impossible to go through life w/o breaking some moronic law.
The average American commits three felonies a day, according to attorney Harvey Silvergate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime