Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:10 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times

Advertisements

RIP Cheyenne Yarley - 10 Months Old Beautiful Baby Girl

In closing arguments Tuesday, defense attorneys for Joshua Andrew Stepp, trying to keep an Iraq war veteran off death row, argued that his undiagnosed post-traumatic stress disorder ... combined with prescription painkillers and alcohol ... incapacitated him to the point that he was mentally incapable of planning and carrying out the alleged sexual assault and beating death of his 10-month-old stepdaughter.

Testifying on his behalf, Stepp admitted that he beat, shook and slammed Cheyenne into the carpet of their Raleigh apartment when she wouldn't stop crying. But he didn't know why he did it, he said.

Stepp said he grabbed toilet paper after changing Cheyenne's diaper three or four times, and dampened it under a bathroom faucet. Then he went to the bedroom where the girl continued to cry. "I went back in the room and just shoved the toilet paper in her mouth," Stepp said. "I thought maybe she'd be quiet." (goodness gracious what happens to wet toilet paper!!!)

But she started choking, he said. "I remember trying to pry her mouth open," he said. He described stuffing his fingers into her tiny mouth, knuckle deep, trying to retrieve the toilet paper. He swished his fingers around, he said, but finally was able to pull out a big clump of paper. She was breathing very shallowly. Then, she gasped and her body seized up.

Closing arguments continue today followed by jury instruction from the judge.

As we have all seen recently the death penalty is on the table, along with all the other possibilities.

Defense, state argue in Raleigh stepdad's murder trial :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 01:54 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,470,430 times
Poor thing.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:29 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Not buying that line of bulllion cubes....he could have left the house, he could have said he did not feel well enough to take care of the baby, he could have left her in the crib, he could have called ANYONE...I have known lots of people with PTSD, they don't kill their kid. He choose to take drugs, and drink alcohol, rather than get help for his addiction. And again, this is a step father...when will women stop being with men who kill their kids? The Mother should be on trial as well.

Last edited by jasper12; 09-07-2011 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 09-08-2011, 05:02 PM

The jury deliberated nearly 7 hours and returned a verdict of guilty of first degree murder at the Joshua Stepp trial today.

The trial now enters the sentencing stage and the jury must decide on the death penalty or life in prison.

Former Army infantryman suffering from PTSD convicted of first-degree murder - Wake County - NewsObserver.com

Old 09-08-2011, 05:49 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Not buying that line of bulllion cubes....he could have left the house, he could have said he did not feel well enough to take care of the baby, he could have left her in the crib, he could have called ANYONE...I have known lots of people with PTSD, they don't kill their kid. He choose to take drugs, and drink alcohol, rather than get help for his addiction. And again, this is a step father...when will women stop being with men who kill their kids? The Mother should be on trial as well.
I read somewhere that the odds of a child being abused go up 40 fold when mom starts dating.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:57 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I believe that, but I also believe that single women can date responsibly. I dated, and the men I dated were nice guys. Not any of them abused my kids. But there are men out there, who prey on women with children, or women who are so dependent, that they will stay with a man, no matter what the cost.

Sad.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:14 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
I believe that, but I also believe that single women can date responsibly. I dated, and the men I dated were nice guys. Not any of them abused my kids. But there are men out there, who prey on women with children, or women who are so dependent, that they will stay with a man, no matter what the cost.

Sad.
You were lucky. There are pedophiles who are very good at acting the part of suitor to mom to gain access to the kids. And then there's the simple fact that a new man in mom's life simply has no history or bonding to mom's children.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:33 PM

Jury deliberations tomorrow on the sentencing. He could get the death penalty or life in prison. I look for life in prison since he is a veteran but who knows ... I screwed up my predictions on the Anthony verdict. My crystal ball ain't working no more.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:54 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
Quote:
jasper12, I can't rep you again but, I agree with the above. I have seen too many of these deaths and the excuses that are put forth....

Old 09-12-2011, 05:32 PM

It's difficult, in today's world, to hand out the death penalty ... the jury came back just before 4 p.m. and said it had decided that Stepp should get life without parole.

But minutes later, after reviewing the paperwork, Superior Court Judge Osmond Smith said they were not unanimous on all four questions before them and sent them back for more deliberations.

The stumbling point seems to be whether there are so called "aggravating factors" that would call for the death penalty.

The judge told them to come back Tuesday for more deliberations.

Sentence confusion for stepfather in death of baby | abc11.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime