Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 09:12 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times

Advertisements

I realize it's sort of white collar crime ... the rag mags made a big to-do about Edward's infidelity and money handling when it happened. Edwards made big money when he was in private practice in North Carolina ... he was well known as a typical ambulance chasing lawyer.

The jury is still deliberating ... this was day seven of deliberations. They were not sequestered and was off for the Memorial Day holiday.

This has me really confused ... how long will the judge allow the jury to continue deliberating ... I wonder what the problem is in that jury room ... you think maybe they have a dessert lady visit each day.

I criticized the Anthony jury for not reviewing all the evidence or asking questions and now this jury seems to be going over everything with a fine tooth comb. There is one member of the jury, at selection time, advised the judge he/she had to be some where on a certain date which is quickly approaching. The judge told the juror, no problem we can replace you with an alternate.

I just can't understand what is taking so long on this verdict.

John*Edwards jury*still far from verdict after week of deliberations, and judge warns against outside talk - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 07:15 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
I'm not a John Edwards fan.....but 30 years seems like a harsh penalty.
Even if I knew he was guilty, I would have a hard time sentencing someone to 30 years for
this particular crime.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:28 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Jury deliberations can be quite a topic. The judge ordinarily will request that a jury continue deliberating until the foreperson states that it is hopelessly deadlocked. Even than, a judge can instruct a jury to make further efforts to arrive at a verdict. Everyone is aware of how much time and money have been spent when you try a case like this. Judges are reluctant to let juries go without some verdict being arrived at.

White collar criminal statutes are often very complex. They can involve many elements and they always involve criminal intent which is often spelled out in language like "purposefully" or "willfully". If the jury's job is to make certain that there is proof beyond a reasonable doubt of each and every element of the statute this can be quite a job.

I wouldn't vote for Edwards to be dogcatcher after the way he has behaved. However, if I go by what I read in the media (which is always a mistake) I get the idea that the case against him depends on whether jurors believe a witness who got a good deal from the government in exchange for his testimony. Its precisely the kind of situation in which I've felt jurors ought to be reluctant to convict someone because it lends itself easily to mistakes and miscarriages of justice.

My bet is that Edwards will either be acquitted or the jury will be unable to agree on a verdict. If the jurors cannot agree on a verdict, the case can be retried. I hope that the prosecution seriously thinks through whether this would be worth the taxpayer dollars to do it.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:53 PM

402 posts, read 589,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I realize it's sort of white collar crime ... the rag mags made a big to-do about Edward's infidelity and money handling when it happened. Edwards made big money when he was in private practice in North Carolina ... he was well known as a typical ambulance chasing lawyer.
No, he was well known as a great personal injury lawyer. What's with the ridiculous ambulance chaser titles these days? Do you even know anything about the cases he won or settled? I doubt it seriously. You are just going along with the general public in their warped assessment of personal injury attorneys. Not all of them are upstanding, but that's with any profession. He was particularly known for being willing to take less than the standard fee in many of his cases. That's not typical with PI lawyers who want their 33 1/3 or more for every case they try.

Quote:
The jury is still deliberating ... this was day seven of deliberations. They were not sequestered and was off for the Memorial Day holiday.

This has me really confused ... how long will the judge allow the jury to continue deliberating ... I wonder what the problem is in that jury room ... you think maybe they have a dessert lady visit each day.
The judge will let them deliberate until they indicate they will be unable to reach a verdict.

Quote:
I criticized the Anthony jury for not reviewing all the evidence or asking questions and now this jury seems to be going over everything with a fine tooth comb. There is one member of the jury, at selection time, advised the judge he/she had to be some where on a certain date which is quickly approaching. The judge told the juror, no problem we can replace you with an alternate.

Well at least this way if they come back with a verdict of not guilty, no one can say they rushed to judgment to go on a cruise.

Quote:
I just can't understand what is taking so long on this verdict.
I'll tell you what it is in a nutshell; the jurors fall into one of two groups and that is what is causing the problem:

Group 1: went in with their mids made up, heard the evidence, and realized he didn't break the law. Now they want to acquit.

Group 2: went in with their minds made up determined to convict him because of his infidelity and are sticking with it.

These two groups are butting heads. That's why there is no verdict.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:15 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
My hope is that if an alternate juror is needed, the nutcase gal (who has been wearing revealing clothing in court and making goo-goo eyes, smiling at defendant Edwards) is last on the list to replace a juror!

Old 05-30-2012, 10:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I was listenig to some lawyers talkabout the case. The jury seems a strange group from what they describe has happened i the court room and perhaps they don't want to get offf the stage .They said they has color co-ordinated there clothes during the trial and some other odd things. Some of the lawyers said they had seen some strnge kurioes and this was one for the books.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:28 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,742 times
I hope they nail this SOB....he was something else...even in his public deathroes he was still wiggling like an attorney....he threw out his public God is great speech and that he was beset by the tyranny on all sides crap or words to that effect.

And yet, when he had the chance to come clean...the chance to confess before a jury of his peers, to set the record straight, to give his A plus performance live before the audience.....he basically pled the fifth....kept to the sidelines, let his attorney work it out.....

This guy wants it to end and end quickly. The sooner the cameras go away the sooner he can go on to his next main squeeze. The guy has no conscious and all the while claiming he does....dirty and rotten to the very end.....if he had one shred of decency left, he would have taken that chance and cleared the air. Between his $200 haircuts and impeccable dress, surely there were a few leftover bimbos in the jury dreaming of a date with John, post trial and perhaps they could swipe the few baubles he will have left.....

But no, he quicky and deliberately took the seat on the bench. I believe there were four practiciing OB GYN's in his home county when he practiced amublance chasing....he ran all 4 out of business.....nice.....

I have to believe there are a number of lawyers out there that cringe at the sight, smells, and sounds of John Edwards. His wife, had she had the strength, would have killed him with her own bare hands had she had half a chance.....and she lived with the guy for quite some time....I think she had a good handle on what kind of SOB he really is....ruthless to the very end.

One can only hope he gets say, 10 good, hard years playing hide the salami in prison....I hope they ride him like SeaBiscuit.....he deserves no less.

May the jury have the chimichangas to convict....with special circumstance.....this is a bad guy....he needs to be abused for awhile not unlike his victims throughout his career....

And here's an eerie thought.....this guy garnered 16 percent of the popular vote prior to bowing out of the race in 2004......

Old 05-31-2012, 05:36 AM

402 posts, read 589,554 times
Boy people are clueless.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:24 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
I hope they nail this SOB....he was something else...even in his public deathroes he was still wiggling like an attorney....he threw out his public God is great speech and that he was beset by the tyranny on all sides crap or words to that effect.
I don't know whether Edwards is innocent or guilty of what he is charged with. However, what disturbs me about your post is that you don't seem to care. You've made a determination that he is an "SOB" and ought to go to prison. Whether or not Edwards is convicted or acquitted should depend on whether the jury agrees that all the elements (and there are numerous elements) for the offense of taking an illegal campaign contribution are proven. I have read many comments that Edwards ought to be convicted who don't have a clue exactly what is required to prove that someone broke this law. My goodness, are we arriving at a point where if "we don't like someone" we think its ok to lock them up in prison forever?

Quote:
And yet, when he had the chance to come clean...the chance to confess before a jury of his peers, to set the record straight, to give his A plus performance live before the audience.....he basically pled the fifth....kept to the sidelines, let his attorney work it out.....
Edwards chose not to testify in this case which was his constitutional right under the Fifth Amendment. Its been my observation that most of the time when someone doesn't testify that they end up getting convicted. You can instruct a jury that a defendant has the right to not testify against himself. However, in the real world I think most people believe if they were innocent and on trial they would want every opportunity they could get to deny an accusation.

Quote:
This guy wants it to end and end quickly. The sooner the cameras go away the sooner he can go on to his next main squeeze. The guy has no conscious and all the while claiming he does....dirty and rotten to the very end.....if he had one shred of decency left, he would have taken that chance and cleared the air. Between his $200 haircuts and impeccable dress, surely there were a few leftover bimbos in the jury dreaming of a date with John, post trial and perhaps they could swipe the few baubles he will have left.....
I don't like this guy and I'd never vote for him for any office. His personal conduct was immoral. Yet, how many millions of people are guilty of cheating on a spouse? How many end up having a baby with that person? If you want to start locking all those people up, we'll run out of jail space in this country within 48 hours. Whether Edwards bought $200 haircuts and $4000 suits is irrelevant to the case against him. Whether women like him or not doesn't make him guilty of the crime of taking an illegal campaign contribution.

Quote:
But no, he quicky and deliberately took the seat on the bench. I believe there were four practiciing OB GYN's in his home county when he practiced amublance chasing....he ran all 4 out of business.....nice.....
What does this have to do with anything? Oh I see. You don't like personal injury lawyers, so let's put all of them in prison. Really brilliant.

Quote:
I have to believe there are a number of lawyers out there that cringe at the sight, smells, and sounds of John Edwards. His wife, had she had the strength, would have killed him with her own bare hands had she had half a chance.....and she lived with the guy for quite some time....I think she had a good handle on what kind of SOB he really is....ruthless to the very end.
Edward's wife was a victim. Her cancer while she was raising young children was a terrible tragedy. However, the reality is that she knew much about what he had done (his affair with Rielle Hunter) before the public did. She knew it and allowed him to run for President in 2008. If she could have killed him with her bare hands, she'd have done it long before she died. Does allowing him to run for President sound like she had a "good handle on what kind of an SOB he really is"?

Quote:
One can only hope he gets say, 10 good, hard years playing hide the salami in prison....I hope they ride him like SeaBiscuit.....he deserves no less.
Ted Stevens (whose conviction was eventually set aside) got a couple of years for taking illegal campaign donations. I would submit that if Edwards is convicted that's an appropriate sentence for him. We aren't talking about a violent crime. We are talking about a white collar crime that involves injury to the "public" which is sort of amorphous.

You also apparently believe that in addition to the punishment he was sentenced for he ought to be raped in prison. Very nice. Very pathetic too.

Quote:
May the jury have the chimichangas to convict....with special circumstance.....this is a bad guy....he needs to be abused for awhile not unlike his victims throughout his career....
I doubt this jury will convict after eight days of deliberations. However, if it does, unlike you, I feel confident it will have done so after a lengthy and fair deliberative process. Who are the "victims" you speak of throughout Edwards career? Let's have names. Are they the people that other juries held accountable for the wrongs they committed?

Quote:
And here's an eerie thought.....this guy garnered 16 percent of the popular vote prior to bowing out of the race in 2004......
Don't get me started here. I couldn't believe George W. Bush could be reelected after the nonsense he put this country through. But there's that electorate for you.

Really, what this post proves to me is that a lengthy jury voir dire or selection process is needed in virtually every case. There are people like you who apparently have your minds made up about innocence and guilt before you even set foot in a courtroom and hear one shred of evidence that is presented. We speak about a "jury of our peers" or how a jury "reflects the conscience of the community". It scares me to think there are people out there who are so full of internal prejudices based on hearsay and innuendo they aren't even listening to the evidence that is presented during a trial. People want to blame "the system" for outcomes like we got in the Casey Anthony trial. I think perhaps a better idea is to get a mirror and look at yourself carefully. Than go look at your neighbors. Than people like this poster. The system is only as good as people who serve on juries.

Last edited by markg91359; 05-31-2012 at 07:52 AM..

Old 05-31-2012, 07:45 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post

The guy has no conscious and all the while claiming he does....dirty and rotten to the very end.....if he had one shred of decency left, he would have taken that chance and cleared the air.

What would lead you to believe he'd come clean?

lols....he'll never see that population of prisoners, I doubt he'll be found guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime