Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 02:44 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times

Advertisements

This guy was a student at The Citadel in Charleston. The Citadel use to hold a summer camp for boys. Skip ReVille was a counselor at the camp and he was accused in 2007 of sexually abusing boys at the camp. The Citadel did not report the allegations to police, instead asking in-house counsel Mark Brandenburg to investigate, and took no further action. The boys attorney allege Citadel officials knew about ReVille's behavior as early as 2002 and did nothing to stop or report him.

He completed his education and graduated from The Citadel and gets a job in the area coaching!!! This institute of higher learning allowed this monster to graduate and sent him on his evil way.

He and his wife had triplets prior to his arrest.

ReVille sentenced to 50 years; tells court: ‘I am the only one responsible’ | The Post and Courier | Charleston SC, News, Sports, Entertainment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 03:13 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Not only was he a coach, but a teacher, counselor as you mentioned, FOSTER PARENT etc. His child abuse spanned 3 counties in my area.

I believe The Citadel is still trying to spin their position...after the complaints about him yrs ago.

A horrible memory for so many young men... but I also think of his wife and triplets... very, very sad.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:50 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,603 times
The Citadel, Penn State - coaches, teachers, foster/adoptive parents - jeez!

How can The Citadel possibly spin their position - similar to Penn State - how can the administrators spin their position?

Too similar and way tooo scary - can't help but to wonder how many other kids/students are out there who have endured similar assaults at other academic institutions?

Could not possibly imagine that going on at Yale or Harvard or Princeton or Brown, [not sure I can't imagine it] but then again I never thought we would hear about these assaults at The Citadel either.

Makes me wonder if more about prep schools, even private day schools.

Scary and absolutely unacceptable.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:31 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Ugh...I think there needs to be a law in place once you have a confirmed conviction list of people you molested/raped you get life, no parole.

Molestation and rape sentences are far to light for the damage they do to the community and victims. Especially when children are involved as they can tend to grow up to molest themselves.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:36 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Ugh...I think there needs to be a law in place once you have a confirmed conviction list of people you molested/raped you get life, no parole.

Molestation and rape sentences are far to light for the damage they do to the community and victims. Especially when children are involved as they can tend to grow up to molest themselves.
Problem is, that in may states all it takes is an the accuser's statement to count as evidence. Then, we have cases like Brian Banks and Tonya Kraft, and we can go all the way back to the witch hunt (literally) of the McMartin pre-school case..and the there was that dad that was let out of jail recently because his daughter admitted to lying (when she was 11) cos she was mad at him.
False accusations have ruined many lives.
It's time we end that fallacy that children never lie about these types of things, cos many do...often because they are coerced, but teens will do it without coersion if they have (what they think) is a good reason.

What we NEED is much more in the way of counseling and services for actual victims, AND a way for a person who may find themselves with 'certain feelings" to get help BEFORE they hurt a child (or anyone else)
Not jail..as we can't be the thought police, but actual help
Instead we sink way to much $$$ time and energy into Megan's law registry and it's been shown time and again to be ineffective as shown in this article:

If It Saves One Child

Old 07-04-2012, 01:32 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
What irritates me is ... the university received the complaints in 2002 ... yet they covered it up and allowed him to complete his education, graduate with nothing in his records ... and where does he gain employment ... a pedophiles wet dream ... coaching, teaching and counseling kids! This is wrong anyway you look at it ... just closing their eyes to any potential problems for the good of the university.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:24 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,509 times
This sounds exactly like the Sandusky trial that just ended in Pennsylvannia. He was a coach for UPenn as well as established a program for at risk boys called the Second Mile. Ten boys who are now in their late teens and early 20s did participate in the trial and two men could not as the Statue of Limitations had run out. This man and his wife adopted 6 children and one of the boys admitted to the prosecution that he had been molested as well. If the father took the stand the adopted son wanted to testify on behalf of the prosecution.
As in the South Carolina case this situation was reported by another adult that was a Assistant Coach and quickly swept under the rug by all the members of the University that were in a position of authority. Its absolutely disgraceful how
people play Russian Roulette with the lives of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime