Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:34 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times

Advertisements

I guess, if your child gets taken by a Dingo, there is some sort of "rule" of how you are "supposed" to behave...like scream, roll on the floor, rip your clothes in grief, pull out your hair...some sort of public display of extreme behavior.

Very sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 07:43 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
I always thought it was the more plausible explanation. Glad they finally laid this one to rest.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:56 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yeah, but the poor mom made the mistake of not putting on an act of bereaved mother. She was too busy mourning in her own way, so she appeared hard. She had her fourth child in prison and it was given to foster parents until she got out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
And yet, a monster like casey anthony gets off bcs every element of the crime according to Hollywoood "CSI " tv show was not proven in court.

Sad. And what a horrible injustice for this woman who was innocent.

Let this be a lesson about judging guilt or innocence on what is the "correct" way to show grief or mourning.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:34 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I guess, if your child gets taken by a Dingo, there is some sort of "rule" of how you are "supposed" to behave...like scream, roll on the floor, rip your clothes in grief, pull out your hair...some sort of public display of extreme behavior.

Very sad.
It was also prejudice against her religion. Her husband was a Seventh-Day-Adventist minister, and people were suspicious of the sect. Rumors were running that the baby's name, Azaria, meant "a sacrifice in the wilderness" and the press ran with this and other stupid stories.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I always thought it was the more plausible explanation. Glad they finally laid this one to rest.
She got out of jail years ago because while investigating a suicide, police found a piece of clothing that had belonged to the baby and it tested positive for dingo saliva. However, under Australian law, they were never able to close the case with the conclusion that the baby was killed and eaten by a dingo--there has never been a body recovered. This time they decided on it as the final word, that's all.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:07 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It was also prejudice against her religion. Her husband was a Seventh-Day-Adventist minister, and people were suspicious of the sect. Rumors were running that the baby's name, Azaria, meant "a sacrifice in the wilderness" and the press ran with this and other stupid stories.
and yet another example of how cases initially tried in the media do not have good outcomes. Unreal.

And Jasper12, I agree with your post completely.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:20 PM

103 posts, read 201,638 times
Not only the media convicted her but there were plenty of Australians clambering for her "blood" too. I remember this idiot boss I had proclaiming she was guilty because she had seen a photo of one of her kids dressed in black and then she saw her at David Jones in Sydney buying expensive cutlery-so she must be guilty-her reasoning that no mother would be out shopping when their baby had been killed (mind you this was along time after Azaria had been taken)!!!! Just blows your mind!

Old 06-21-2012, 04:48 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Let this be a lesson about judging guilt or innocence on what is the "correct" way to show grief or mourning.
Yup. I am as prone as the next guy to say 'Normal people don't act like that', but that is a far cry from being certain a person is guilty.
The way I see it is that if there is a chance that the person is innocent and if not, they is a very little likelihood of re offending, I'd let em walk.
I cannot imagine what society can do to repair the damage done by locking up an innocent person, but some people are willing to do that.

We are not all made of the same stuff. Some people are just not demonstrative, especially in public. Some drown their sorrows in booze. Some go to shrinks and take pills and appear very calm and together.

Some wives go missing and the husband is glad to be rid of her, but it does not mean that he did it.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yup. I am as prone as the next guy to say 'Normal people don't act like that', but that is a far cry from being certain a person is guilty.
The way I see it is that if there is a chance that the person is innocent and if not, they is a very little likelihood of re offending, I'd let em walk.
I cannot imagine what society can do to repair the damage done by locking up an innocent person, but some people are willing to do that.

We are not all made of the same stuff. Some people are just not demonstrative, especially in public. Some drown their sorrows in booze. Some go to shrinks and take pills and appear very calm and together.

Some wives go missing and the husband is glad to be rid of her, but it does not mean that he did it.
It was not just that she didn't appear to be publicly grieving. She was very religious and believed this was God's will. What really threw people--and I remember seeing the video and it is amazing how matter-of-fact she sounds--is that while interviewed on TV and being asked why she thought they hadn't been able to find Azaria's remains, she explains that a dingo will take its prey and split it down the middle from the neck with its front paws and then eat the insides first. After that, other scavengers usually come and eat the skin and scatter the bones. She's using her hands to demonstrate the action of the dingo's paws while she's describing the probable manner of death of her baby daughter, and it's in the same tone and demeanor that a person would use to demonstrate how to use the new coffeepot at work.

And she was right. What they eventually found was the outer garment that the baby was wearing, and it had dingo saliva on it but it wasn't torn.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:53 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I can see that....depersonalization....to deal with grief. I have seen it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime