Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 12:00 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sexism...alive and well in prison boards. A man, convicted of heinous crimes is "released". Leslie van Houten...who has terminal cancer, has been denied 19 times. Women are always viewed more harshly on crime than men.
Yet she was the one who was the least guilty (if there is such a thing)of everyone involved in the murders. She wasn't at one of the crimes (I think it was the Tate one but can't remember)and the other one it was suspected she stabbed after the person was dead. Not that I am justifying her crime, far from it but if anyone should be released it should be her.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:22 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Leslie van Houten...who has terminal cancer, has been denied 19 times.
Van Houten has terminal cancer? I thought that was Susan Atkins, who died in prison a couple of years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Yet she was the one who was the least guilty (if there is such a thing)of everyone involved in the murders. She wasn't at one of the crimes (I think it was the Tate one but can't remember)and the other one it was suspected she stabbed after the person was dead. Not that I am justifying her crime, far from it but if anyone should be released it should be her.
I think Van Houten held Rosemary LaBianca down while Patricia Krenwinkle tried to stab LaBianca. I doubt she'll ever be released. Doesn't Sharon Tate's sister show up at a lot of these parole hearings?

Old 10-10-2012, 09:54 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,353,365 times
Quote:
Sexism...alive and well in prison boards. A man, convicted of heinous crimes is "released". Leslie van Houten...who has terminal cancer, has been denied 19 times. Women are always viewed more harshly on crime than men.
absolutely. leslie van houten is probably the best example of someone who SHOULD be freed, who committed crimes under a very unusual kind of duress. they are gonna free bruce davis (they already freed clem) and NOT free her? give me a freaking break. i would give leslie van houten a home if i had one to give. i mean, susan atkins i wouldnt' have released, but leslie van houten should have been freed twenty years ago.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:56 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,353,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Ok, folks now for a little lecture on the law. Yes, the law actually governs what parole boards do. The reality is that a parole board must take into account not only the crime committed by the perpetrator when it makes decisions to release someone, but it must also take into account how they acted while they were in prison. If the offender participated in rehabilitation and education programs, acted as though they felt remorse for the crime, and was not a problem for the authorities in the prison after a specified period he/she is probably entitled to be released from prison under state law.

If you don't like it than get the laws changed. However, the parole board in this situation is simply doing its job.
then, pray tell, why is leslie van houten NOT free? and thankfully in england that isn't a given, as by that criteria myra hindley would have been considered a safe bet for release.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Ok, folks now for a little lecture on the law. Yes, the law actually governs what parole boards do. The reality is that a parole board must take into account not only the crime committed by the perpetrator when it makes decisions to release someone, but it must also take into account how they acted while they were in prison. If the offender participated in rehabilitation and education programs, acted as though they felt remorse for the crime, and was not a problem for the authorities in the prison after a specified period he/she is probably entitled to be released from prison under state law.

If you don't like it than get the laws changed. However, the parole board in this situation is simply doing its job.
What are your state laws on parole? In my state they can lock you up for your full sentence if they desire to do so. This gal got 47 years for a car accident even after the jury ruled she wasn't legally impaired while driving.

I-Team: Jessica Williams -- Almost 8 Years After Tragedy - 8 News NOW

Compare that to the guy in the OP.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:59 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
I disagree that it's about whether they were female or male -- it's about the level of publicity the case got. Gary Hinman and Shea were treated as afterthoughts in the press so Davis is being freed.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:00 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,838,044 times
Hopefully they will release Charlie in time for the next Beach Boys reunion.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:30 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Davis just does not sound as if he deserves to be up for parole. I don't care what kind of good behavior he's had in prison since 1970. Brown weighs parole for Manson family member - latimes.com

Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
So, now, with the $40-50k a year we'll now save in incarcerations costs for this individual, how should we spend the first $40-50k? Any ideas, that might prevent someone from committing a crime in the future?
More like $150 K/year, but now he'll have the talk-show circuit income to keep him afloat. A lifelong celebrity career is very motivational to keep a guy busy.

Man, the title of this discussion threw me! I thought it meant he had been cleared of wrongdoing, not cleared for release!!!

Old 02-07-2013, 12:33 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
For anyone interested found this article on Davis.
My Op didnt state he would be "cleared" no one is cleared after conviction. It seems he will be released though, from the Ca. prison.

Bruce Davis went from clean-cut youth in Roane County to murderer, member of Manson clan » Knoxville News Sentinel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime