Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 10:09 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
I know the odds haven't changed from the 50's of your kid getting kidnapped, but I wouldn't allow a mile to school or anywhere. Especially if it was a regular route (ie. someone could be watching it happen daily and set something up).

My goal is not to be a helicopter parent, but that's just a little too far me at 10 years old, boys too.
I walked a 1/2 mile to and from school as an elementary school kid. I also took public transportation from the suburbs to downtown for volunteer work as a high school student.

As much as we want - we can't watch them every moment of the day and expect them to grow into confident adults. We can educate them of the dangers and teach them to be aware of their surroundings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 10:28 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
ABC News just confirmed the body found earlier tonite was Jessica's. I sure hope they have some leads/suspect(s). How senseless, she seemed like such a happy girl.
This is just another case where the media jumps the gun and hopes they are right so they can claim a scoop.
Let's wait for conclusions until the police and medical examiner complete their investigation and have positive proof.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:37 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Terrible. I wonder if it was random...or someone who knew her routine? Creepy. There is such a balance now...between letting kids be free and watching them like a hawk. I was over protective. My daughter never walked to school. She walked home with friends...but never to school.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:12 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,236,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
This is just another case where the media jumps the gun and hopes they are right so they can claim a scoop.
Let's wait for conclusions until the police and medical examiner complete their investigation and have positive proof.
Sadly......

Event Detail

[KCTV5.com] 10/12/2012, Westminster, CO -- "Police confirmed Friday afternoon that a dismembered body found earlier this week belongs to 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway."

Old 10-13-2012, 05:12 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
Very sad indeed....I lived in Arvada as a kid..great place. Just goes to show that no place is "safe" anymore...my prayers go out to her family..I can't imagine what they are going through.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:25 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
Sadly......

[KCTV5.com] 10/12/2012, Westminster, CO -- "Police confirmed Friday afternoon that a dismembered body found earlier this week belongs to 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway."
Dismembered even? It's not bad enough to kill a cute little kid?

Delete.. Delete .. Delete.. I can't say any of those things here. Let's leave it at this. If I caught that guy, it would be ugly. Really ugly.

My condolences to the family and friends of this cute young girl. Also to law enforcement types on the case, who are probably heartsick over this.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:23 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,927 times
I think this is a time for all parents to find out exactly what the procedure is at their children's school for absent students.
For example, the form parents fill out should have more then one contact phone number and person - three or four. Also, keep it updated.
The school could even send someone to the home, like one of the parents of a friend this girl was to meet. I don't think you have to be from a small town to know someone who knows someone who can check deeper into the situation. We need to have a watchful eye for not only our children, but for other's children.
Eight hours was a long time for a ten year old to be missing without police involvement.
I am not placing blame here, I am just saying everyone needs to consider more of a back-up plan for the safety of children.

Last edited by geebabe; 10-13-2012 at 01:45 PM..

Old 10-14-2012, 05:15 PM

577 posts, read 900,372 times
The first thing that came to my mind is that "stylistically" this is like Ted Bundy. Brazen, broad daylight, most likely lured into a car, the same kind of victim (pretty, white, Bundy's youngest known victim was 12 I think) and I believe he did dismember some of his victims. Whoever this guy is, he is as dangerous as bundy. My hope is that a house on the street where the bag was found had a surveillance camera so they can get a car description or plate.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:32 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,876,807 times
As one said above....8 hours is a long time to not be in the loop. I had to give 3 names in case they could not get me. She was a cute kid, and my heart breaks for the family. I was over protective with my kids as well...glad that I was.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:03 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,529,294 times
The state of CO. is in mourning......a beautiful child.......gone. Very, very sad, devastating.

I am from CA. where a lot happens. We've lived in a rural area outside of Fort Collins for @ 1.5 years. CO. is a LOT different than CA. People are trusting here. There is a refreshing innocence like what I had as a child growing up in the San Joaquin Valley, never to be seen or felt again in CA. The kind of trust where you don't have to lock your door all the time, the kind of trust where you can let your kid out to play and know that he is safe. This has really hit this state hard......first, the movie theater shooting, (and, sadly, we all know where he is from), and now this, and years ago, Columbine.....

May she rest in peace and may the authorities find the sadist who killed her. PRONTO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime