Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 11:51 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,380,090 times

Advertisements

i have been watching lots of these episodes, i love them as i see how cases are solved and how detectives use their brains to get clues.

but, the more i watch them, every-time i see someone being a witness, even if their faces are blurred, what their skin color is, what they are wearing, and where they live are shown. i mean, it wouldn't be that hard for the suspects family, friends to just watch these episodes and hunt down the people who "snitched" on their friend. it seems like broadcasting it on national tv really puts these people who want to do right in real danger.

i think for people who are neighbors to the witness, even if the face and speech is altered, just by looking at what they are wearing and their body type, and male or female, it just takes a few seconds for them to just know who it is. and many of the witnesses cant just pack up and move.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 02:15 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,638 times
Exactly! I've always thought about this.

But then again, do the people in these low-income cities have the money for premium cable?

Old 10-10-2013, 05:59 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Exactly! I've always thought about this.

But then again, do the people in these low-income cities have the money for premium cable?
Not only do they have premium cable, but they have bigger TV's and drive nicer cars than you and me ! My Sons and I were just talking about this last night, both of them managed low income apartment complexes and when they would go into the apartments for annual inspections and for repairs the people had every electronic toy known to man, and most were on subsidized rent.

But as far as the TV show, I watch it all the time and have wondered the same thing. The people who are involved with those crimes are very street smart and probably know who is ratting them out. Plus, the witnesses have to appear in court, so their identities are no longer secret. I can see why people just don't want to get involved because they have to go back and live among the same people they helped convict, or at least their friends and families.

Don

Old 10-10-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

I can see why people just don't want to get involved because they have to go back and live among the same people they helped convict, or at least their friends and families.

Don

I feel bad when the cops put pressure on the witnesses, some episodes cops know they had nothing, but they inflict jail time threats to people, and people crack and just snitch. sure, the job of the detective is to solve cases and keep their jobs, but some of these folks really dont have any money to move anywhere. even if they did, i mean someone will track them down. even if they move out of state, their relatives are still in the same city and they could be in danger. i mean, most of the time its life in prison for murder, so their friends or family would probably help them out and finish off the job.

you know whats worse? what if your neighbor's son killed someone, and you snitched on national TV, and they went to jail for life (shooter, +2 accomplices). i mean, you still have to live next to them, and now your neighbors siblings, family, friends, 2 accomplices's family and friends are all out to get you and your family/kids. and besides, even if they dont kill you, you will still be labeled as a "snitch" in the area.... and even if you move to a new state, people can still watch tv and know your a snitch!

Last edited by civic94; 10-10-2013 at 06:24 AM..

Old 10-10-2013, 10:37 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,638 times
That's why if I know something, I'd write a letter stating what I know and leave it where they would find it. I'd wear gloves, too.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
That's why if I know something, I'd write a letter stating what I know and leave it where they would find it. I'd wear gloves, too.

lol its not so easy. after watching more than 50 of these episodes, you gotta have pick out a positive ID from 6 pictures, circle it, and sign your name on the paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime