Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 12:46 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,499,104 times

Advertisements

Homeless Mother Gets Job Interview But Doesn't Have Childcare, Ends Up In Jail | ThinkProgress
[MOD CUT/copyright]

Not sure how I feel about this one. I do feel very, very bad for her. She didn't have anyone to watch her kids during her 45 minute job interview, so she left them in the car with the engine turned off, windows cracked. It was not insanely hot or frigid cold, it was 66 degrees outside. While I never condone leaving kids in the car (obviously) I'm not sure what else she could have done. She was just trying to better her children's lives by getting a job. It is great that she is even trying to get a job. I guess it would have been better for her to just collect government assistance and be judged by the public as a welfare ***** or whatever. I do think she should be released, charges dropped, reunited with her children, and job given to her. She is trying. She is clearly torn up about it, she made an honest, desperate mistake.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-02-2014 at 10:39 AM..

Old 03-29-2014, 12:59 PM

334 posts, read 537,549 times
Sad.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:24 PM

155 posts, read 189,337 times
This is sad. First time today I've found myself speechless.......

Old 03-29-2014, 08:48 PM

255 posts, read 402,613 times
She made a poor decision. I hope the charges are dropped.

If she was able to get the job, who was going to watch her kids while she worked?

This is Jan Brewer's Arizona. Not exactly a state that cares about people.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:12 PM

155 posts, read 189,337 times
Even if the charges are dropped, on a criminal level. The children have already been placed in foster care and child and family services are now involved. Many more hoops to go through before she can get the youngins back

Just a very sad case all around.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:30 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,282 times
I don't feel bad for her. Why were her children living in a car? She should put them in foster care when she lost her home. Are there no shelters in Arizona? I feel like there's a ton of shelters in NJ and priority goes to women with children. She couldn't get help from a church? I just don't like the poor me aspect of it. She should have thought of her children and since they were living in their car, it wasn't a one time thing. This is abuse. I'm glad she was arrested.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
I don't feel bad for her. Why were her children living in a car? She should put them in foster care when she lost her home. Are there no shelters in Arizona? I feel like there's a ton of shelters in NJ and priority goes to women with children. She couldn't get help from a church? I just don't like the poor me aspect of it. She should have thought of her children and since they were living in their car, it wasn't a one time thing. This is abuse. I'm glad she was arrested.
Wow. I don't even know what to say to you. Why WOULD she put them in foster care?! How hard would it be to get them back after that? You expect a mother to just give up her kids? They were/are going through a hard time. It happens. I was homeless with my 4 children or about a month. We were living in our SUV. So I guess I should have just turned my kids in to foster care, huh? Let them get abused by the system, abused by their new "parents". Fantastic idea. There are a few homeless shelters in Scottdale, but you do not know this woman's personal situation. She might HAVE been living in a homeless shelter or using a church. The article says living out the car, that probably means they simply have no house and spend mos tof their time in the car. Who knows? Not you.

I hope you don't have children, and I hope you never do. You are incredibly judgmental. Abuse...do you know what abuse actually is? Because living in a car isn't that. If anything, it brings the family much closer together. She wasn't leaving the kids in the car to go shopping or go party. She left them in the car (which indeed was a desperate mistake) to get a JOB to PROVIDE for them. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. This lady and her family needs help, not felony charges and forced separation.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
She made a poor decision. I hope the charges are dropped.

If she was able to get the job, who was going to watch her kids while she worked?

This is Jan Brewer's Arizona. Not exactly a state that cares about people.
I'm assuming a daycare center. The 2+ weeks of delayed pay would be tricky, but in AR, NC and NJ I don't know of ONE single daycare center that would not work with a single mom of 3. She would have the job, so the daycare would more than likely accept her so she could work. I don't know how it works in AZ though. The west coast is almost like a different country.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:39 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,100 times
I don't think this was right. She was homeless; she couldn't take the children inside with her to the job interview, and maybe she didn't feel safe about leaving them with anyone, or know anyone to leave them with. Now she has no job (though not for lack of trying), a criminal record, and who takes care of the kids now?

I think we can be far too strict with our "rules." My God, in the '70s, I don't think anyone would have said or done a thing, and maybe this woman could have had a job and actually found a place to live with her children. I think society is becoming like a prison itself. You can't win for losing. And it makes me sick.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:10 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Wow. I don't even know what to say to you. Why WOULD she put them in foster care?! How hard would it be to get them back after that? You expect a mother to just give up her kids? They were/are going through a hard time. It happens. I was homeless with my 4 children or about a month. We were living in our SUV. So I guess I should have just turned my kids in to foster care, huh? Let them get abused by the system, abused by their new "parents". Fantastic idea. There are a few homeless shelters in Scottdale, but you do not know this woman's personal situation. She might HAVE been living in a homeless shelter or using a church. The article says living out the car, that probably means they simply have no house and spend mos tof their time in the car. Who knows? Not you.

I hope you don't have children, and I hope you never do. You are incredibly judgmental. Abuse...do you know what abuse actually is? Because living in a car isn't that. If anything, it brings the family much closer together. She wasn't leaving the kids in the car to go shopping or go party. She left them in the car (which indeed was a desperate mistake) to get a JOB to PROVIDE for them. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. This lady and her family needs help, not felony charges and forced separation.
Having a roof, utilities (such as a toilet), food, and clothes is abuse. With a baby, it's more likely for her to get adopted. This article in ambiguous as to if they solely lived in the car or not, but googling the situation found articles that said she was living out of the car.

If living in a car isn't abuse, why were her children taken away? She is incredibly irresponsible and SELFISH. As a parent, you have to do the best for your children. If you TRULY love them, you'll give them away to someone if you're unfit to care for them. I would love to have children. I don't. I don't have certain factors of my life how I want them. Where is the father? I wouldn't even be surprised if it's two different men. This woman has no stable job, no home, and no partner. Why did she have ANOTHER baby? There is a big age difference between the two children. I wonder if she was employed when she was pregnant.

People don't look at this logically. The government will probably give her all sorts of welfare and free housing now, because people are sad an unfit mother got her children taken away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime