Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 02:49 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,304,633 times

Advertisements

I was only 9 years old when it happened. All I remember was my mom crying hysterically. What exactly happened that day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 02:55 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Two students arrived at school and began shooting people. They appeared to target athletes. They also killed a teacher while he was evacuating some students. They also planted some homemade bombs which failed to detonate. They ended up in the Library where they shot several students and then took their own lives.

They were members of a "Trench Coat" club, the existence of which was denied by the school's Principal until shown a yearbook picture of the group. He also tried to deny that Klebold and Harris were students at the school.

The incident changed the way that police departments respond to those situations, instead of awaiting the arrival of the SWAT unit officers are now trained to do immediate building entry and clearance.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Two students arrived at school and began shooting people. They appeared to target athletes. They also killed a teacher while he was evacuating some students. They also planted some homemade bombs which failed to detonate. They ended up in the Library where they shot several students and then took their own lives.

They were members of a "Trench Coat" club, the existence of which was denied by the school's Principal until shown a yearbook picture of the group. He also tried to deny that Klebold and Harris were students at the school.

The incident changed the way that police departments respond to those situations, instead of awaiting the arrival of the SWAT unit officers are now trained to do immediate building entry and clearance.
That sounds awful. Why would they do such a thing?

Old 03-17-2014, 03:02 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
That sounds awful. Why would they do such a thing?

One of them was on anti-psychotic meds. Their writings indicated that they felt bullied and marginalized by the cool kids.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
One of them was on anti-psychotic meds. Their writings indicated that they felt bullied and marginalized by the cool kids.
I will google more about this event. It sounds horrifying to know so many kids experienced that.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:45 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Two students arrived at school and began shooting people. They were members of a "Trench Coat" club
Actually, they weren't members of the Trench Coat Mafia but that myth was perpetuated by the media. There's a lot of misinformation about this crime. To the OP, read the book Columbine by Dave Cullen. The author spent ten years researching this crime and dispelled many of the myths about it (the fact that Harris and Klebold were bullied, for one.)
Debunking the myths of Columbine, 10 years later - CNN.com

Old 03-17-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Actually, they weren't members of the Trench Coat Mafia but that myth was perpetuated by the media. There's a lot of misinformation about this crime. To the OP, read the book Columbine by Dave Cullen. The author spent ten years researching this crime and dispelled many of the myths about it (the fact that Harris and Klebold were bullied, for one.)
Debunking the myths of Columbine, 10 years later - CNN.com
Interesting. So many people claimed that they were popular and weren't bullied. It seems as if it wasn't case.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:59 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
So many people claimed that they were popular
They were definitely not popular. Many thought Harris had anti-social tendencies, and Klebold's mother said in an interview years later that he was most likely severely clinically depressed, although she and her husband weren't aware of it while their son was alive.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:36 PM

4,762 posts, read 793,001 times
I remember it quite well, even though I was only a sixth grader at the time. We had a bomb threat at my school just 15 days later, which was taken very seriously in the wake of Columbine; we all had to evacuate and were dismissed early.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:24 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,282 times
I don't remember it that well, but I do remember how it affected other schools and the media kept talking about it. My school (in NJ) got obsessed with who was bullied and who were bullies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime