Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2022, 03:42 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,869,050 times

Advertisements

The javelina showed up just after 7:00 this morning. We had our inner doors open for fresh morning air and saw them crossing our front porch area to the west side of our house. I went out the back patio door over near the gate and pool equipment area and started taking video. It was weird! Most of the javelina were around the bend of my fence, but they came back and had a group hug on the west side of my house before heading out again. They were here for about 30 minutes. One of them had an injured left front leg, but this was not Chester, the one who has been injured for over 3 years and hardly ever lets his left front hoof touch the ground. It is pitiful to see this injured javelina try to get around, but what choice does he have? Anyway, they work their way around the outside of my backyard fence to the area behind the casita where they all get a drink from the water bowl. As usual, there was a short fight, but the two combatants made up and left together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA6gGJxRcac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2022, 08:36 AM

810 posts, read 874,812 times
Love how they bunch together and nuzzle, then go on their way. Thanks for the video, enjoyed watching the nice long drinks at the water bowl!

Old 05-17-2022, 02:32 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,869,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
Love how they bunch together and nuzzle, then go on their way. Thanks for the video, enjoyed watching the nice long drinks at the water bowl!
Yes, the bunching together and nuzzling must be a squadron building exercise! To me, they are always interesting to watch. I appreciate you watching and leaving a comment wildflowers27!

Old 05-17-2022, 04:21 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,207,759 times
Have you ever shown your videos to a wildlife expert, maybe at the U of A? This one seems to show a lot of javelina behaviors and interactions. I wonder if having one of them injured changed the herd behaviors? Did it look like a recent injury? I wonder how it was injured? It seems to be a common injury there.

Old 05-24-2022, 03:05 AM

23,261 posts, read 29,113,630 times
I had a learning experience the other night about Javelina's. I was walking my ferret along a cinder block wall, near Crossroads Festival shopping center, where, every 12 feet, they left one cinder block space open at the bottom of the wall in case of a big rain. I was walking my ferret, ran into 3 Javelina's and to my utter, utter amazement, I saw these 2 midsize Javelina's, very quickly, squirm their big bodies through the space of that missing cinder block! How could a body that big accomplish something like that!!!

There were 3 Javelina's but my ferret chased after the 3rd one, scared him away.

So, down there in Green Valley, if you have a missing cinder block to your cinder block wall, they will get in!

Their bodies must be as flexible as my ferret, as he can flatten himself out like a pancake, and squirm under the door of my bedroom with just a very thin opening.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:11 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,207,759 times
Interesting too that they were so afraid of the ferret
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: