Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 05:07 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,076,266 times

Advertisements

This has been said to me a few times lately when I ask someone, have you seen so-and-so show, like one time I was talking to this woman about travel and I asked her had she seen Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. She gave me a look and said with a pretty self-righteous air, "Oh, I don't watch TV." This sounds so condescending and just plain snobby that I am taken aback. And there is an unspoken "and I'm a better person than you because of it."

Why can't these people just say, "no, never saw it."??? And leave it at that. Because they feel they have to demean those of us that DO watch TV. Because they feel holier-than-thou because they are so intellectual that they would NEVER poison their precious mind with the boob tube. I really hope those of you that say this to people are reading this so you know how you come across.

Now, I'm no 6 hour a day TV junkie or anything but I love AB, I love House Hunters International, Samantha Brown, that kind of thing. I always learn something about the country they are in and it allows me to 'travel' for free. I also watch Criminal Minds and The Mentalist, two shows that are so well written and acted, in my opinion the best I've ever watched.

Just venting, I guess, I just despise when people have this attitude, about anything really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 05:34 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,002,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
This has been said to me a few times lately when I ask someone, have you seen so-and-so show, like one time I was talking to this woman about travel and I asked her had she seen Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. She gave me a look and said with a pretty self-righteous air, "Oh, I don't watch TV." This sounds so condescending and just plain snobby that I am taken aback. And there is an unspoken "and I'm a better person than you because of it."

Why can't these people just say, "no, never saw it."??? And leave it at that. Because they feel they have to demean those of us that DO watch TV. Because they feel holier-than-thou because they are so intellectual that they would NEVER poison their precious mind with the boob tube. I really hope those of you that say this to people are reading this so you know how you come across.

Now, I'm no 6 hour a day TV junkie or anything but I love AB, I love House Hunters International, Samantha Brown, that kind of thing. I always learn something about the country they are in and it allows me to 'travel' for free. I also watch Criminal Minds and The Mentalist, two shows that are so well written and acted, in my opinion the best I've ever watched.

Just venting, I guess, I just despise when people have this attitude, about anything really.
Maybe they don't mean it in a condescending way. But if they do, who cares? You don't have to live with them, so who cares what they think or do?

I agree, though. I don't like snobby attitudes, either.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:53 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
I don't watch TV, but I love TV shows. Meaning I no longer have cable, because everything worth watching is either on DVD or online. Cable TV is on its last legs anyway. In 5 years, television and the internet are going to be the same thing.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 7,404 times
Sounds like you are being too sensitive. I am one of those who doesn't watch TV for a multitude of reasons and I say that kind of thing to show that I want the conversation to go in another direction, not to demean the other person. You probably could have learned more about her by asking "why not?"

Old 09-06-2010, 08:28 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Don't let it get to you - just turn it back on them, say something like "Oh that's a shame, I'd feel really out of touch if I didn't watch at least a little TV"

Old 09-06-2010, 08:35 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jway5929 View Post
I am one of those who doesn't watch TV for a multitude of reasons and I say that kind of thing to show that I want the conversation to go in another direction, not to demean the other person.
Same here. I gave up watching TV a few years ago, after my two favorite shows were taken off the air. Saying that I don't watch TV isn't meant to be condescending but it is to make a point that I won't know about anything television-oriented that the person is talking about. I found that not watching TV means that one is completely in the dark about some people's conversations.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:41 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post

....more like you feel inferior because you watch it. If they ever bring back The Honeymooners I'll watch that, but until then you can watch without us.
By us saying "I don't watch TV" it prevents us having to listen to a bunch of stuff about a bunch of crap. It's not said in order to pick on you, it's said because it's the proper thing to say.
How about if you say to someone, "Hey, did you try that new brand of baked beans?" --- wouldn't it be okay for that person to say, "no, I don't like baked beans?" Would that make you upset, too?
Does that mean we think we're better than you, in your mind?
Just pointing out to you that your thoughts are unwarranted.
Nobody gives a crap if you watch TV or not unless they, too are fans.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:00 AM

750 posts, read 1,434,875 times
I find folks who declare that they don't watch TV are just more intellectually superior to the masses of ordinary people. They like to be different, apart, unique. More thoughtful and maybe a weensy bit judgmental. Just a weense.

Like when you bite into a great, greasy corndog at the state fair and they curl their lip and say "I only eat organic." Like that.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:19 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,823 times
I don't care if someone else chooses not to watch tv but if there is an attitude of superiority that goes with them saying so, I just roll my eyes. You never hear someone brag about not reading books, listening to music, or watching movies, yet it's just as easy to find insipid garbage in those mediums as it is on tv. I admit I don't understand the public fascination with certain shows but it is ignorant to dismiss EVERYTHING on tv as being awful. You have to be discerning with any type of media in order to get to the good stuff. If you choose to be narrowminded and dismiss the entire medium...that's fine, but nobody else cares! Especially on the tv forum!

Old 09-06-2010, 10:45 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
I don't care if someone else chooses not to watch tv but if there is an attitude of superiority that goes with them saying so, I just roll my eyes.
I've had several experiences like this:

One was a woman I knew who was into acting, writing, creating. She didn't even own a television. She said owning a tv would distract her from what she wanted to do. Understandable. How easy is it to veg out in front of the tv rather than tackle a long-overdue project or organize your dresser or clear out your closet?

One is a guy at my job. Very superior attitude of "oh, I don't NEED a tv because I don't need to watch local news. I may not be able to tell you what's going on in town, but I can tell you what's happening in Dubai". The superior attitude deflated quickly when I asked him if he knew about a major, major news story that was happening locally. His face looked like a huge question mark.

A woman I used to work for didn't own a tv. She said it was for idiots. I didn't stay at that job very long. SHE was the idiot.

I moved into a new apartment. I hadn't gotten cable yet and the tv only got 1 channel (ABC). I didn't watch much tv for about a month. It was actually refreshing and I found myself getting so many things done and going out more than if I had a tv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV